or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My first suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first suit. - Page 2

post #16 of 28
BTW -- you look young. You'll likely grow into the suit as you get older (you'll put on either muscle or fat ). So, if you got a good price on it, why not keep it and use it a few years down the line.
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
BTW -- you look young. You'll likely grow into the suit as you get older (you'll put on either muscle or fat ). So, if you got a good price on it, why not keep it and use it a few years down the line.
Yea thats what I plan on doing. I doubt how long I will be able to fit in a 38R. I am about to start working out more and adding a few inches on the chest so thats why it may look a tad big right now
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
I'm a 39" chest, and this is a 40R so it in no way is the end of the world that it may be a little big NOW. I love this suit too much to just resale it and get some cheap Canadian fused suit, which is all I could afford otherwise. :0

Also I am a 33" waist and these are 34" pants, they stay on but could use a little tailoring. A 32" pant fits me a bit too tight for my tastes one the shirt it tucked in.
post #19 of 28
I have to say, the suit appears much larger on you than the tagged size and your own chest measurements would suggest. The difference between the two would make it seem like you've got an extra inch of fabric when in fact you've got 3+ extra inches.

It's hard to comment on the length since we can't see your whole body. I don't like the knuckle rule since people have proportionally longer or shorter arms. The key measure is if the jacket just covers your rear-end. If it is much longer than necessary to cover the curvature of your posterior, than it is too long.

I'm not sure you can count on adding so many inches to your chest. Also, the waist could be taken in: it appears you are trimmer than the suit shows. Taking in a lot of the excess fabric in the back may do the trick in and of itself. The shoulders may be too wide, but I think the issue may be their shape. In one picture, they curve abruptly downward about 4/5 away from your neck. This implies to me that you need more or less padding in certain parts to smooth out this line. Or, maybe, the shoulders are simply too wide and your arms begin closer to your neck than the suit shows.

Oh, and the bottom button is buttoned on your jacket. Maybe this was an accident, but regardless, it alters the way the jacket is supposed to look. You might want to see what it looks like with only the top button buttoned.

How's it look from the side?
post #20 of 28
Go with Half Canvas' recommendation. If you're just starting a career, you'll gain weight within a few months and by another two years' you may have even outgrown this suit. IMO, there's no need to have alterations as it looks very good on you.

Don't know what you were trying to portray with your hands, but it's impossible to see whether the length of the sleeves fit your arm lnegth. When the tie has changed colour, I'm sure you'll be truly transformed into a Prince Charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
BTW -- you look young. You'll likely grow into the suit as you get older (you'll put on either muscle or fat ). So, if you got a good price on it, why not keep it and use it a few years down the line.
post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Stroller
Go with Half Canvas' recommendation. If you're just starting a career, you'll gain weight within a few months and by another two years' you may have even outgrown this suit. IMO, there's no need to have alterations as it looks very good on you.

Don't know what you were trying to portray with your hands, but it's impossible to see whether the length of the sleeves fit your arm lnegth. When the tie has changed colour, I'm sure you'll be truly transformed into a Prince Charming.
I was trying to imitate Holdfast, but failed.

That was the only tie I had at the time, but dont knock on the lime green. I get lots of compliments on the green tie believe it or now.
post #22 of 28
The green tie is fine, imo. It is a nice contrast to the blue suit, and looks good on you. Try not to gain weight, and just bring the suit to a knowledgeable tailor in your area, in all probability he knows what to do with it. Congratulations!
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy
The green tie is fine, imo. It is a nice contrast to the blue suit, and looks good on you. Try not to gain weight, and just bring the suit to a knowledgeable tailor in your area, in all probability he knows what to do with it. Congratulations!
Thanks
post #24 of 28
How old are you? I'm not too sure I'd go with the "you'll grow into it" advice. It does seem a bit big on the length side and in the chest/shoulders. Maybe that brand runs a bit big, and a 40 would fit you in some brands, but I think you should try to sell it and get a 38.
post #25 of 28
Out of curiousity, P3, have you been in a good suit store and tried on a few sizes? I'm going to add to the chorus which says this is way too big on you, because of discounting I'd flip it rather than store it for a fat day, if I were you. With your age and build especially, you should be wearing your suits tight - like just a touch looser than GetSmart.
post #26 of 28
I wear the same size now at 31 years of age that I did when I was 19. Growing into suits isn't always inevitable.
post #27 of 28
You realize that if you have a 39" chest, a 38R suit will probably have a 40-41" chest, so you'll be fine even with a little added weight. A 40R is 42-43" which is why it's so big in the chest, but the bigger problem, IMO, is the shoulders, which aren't even that close.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
Out of curiousity, P3, have you been in a good suit store and tried on a few sizes? I'm going to add to the chorus which says this is way too big on you, because of discounting I'd flip it rather than store it for a fat day, if I were you. With your age and build especially, you should be wearing your suits tight - like just a touch looser than GetSmart.

Agree 100%

It's a OK first suit, but the style may be a little too old for you IMHO.
Sort of looks like you are wearing your father's suit. It's almost the
style GWB wears.
A slim solid blue or gray 3-button or two button with higher button stance with narrower laplels might suit you better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My first suit.