or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Trench Coat options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trench Coat options - Page 4

post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

NoBunny from one of the WAYW Friday contests from a while ago:

350x426px-LL-500f04f8_518355-11-1284725772580.jpeg
No one seems to have a problem with this?

Define "no one".
post #47 of 93
you seem to have made up your mind. whats the point of asking others for opinion?
post #48 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivon View Post

I Google the named and ended up at a blog that wasn't worth reading? Did I miss something? Still can't figure out the drama.

I think he meant search his name on here.

Which I did. It came up with a couple of threads that after 2 mins I stopped reading. Haters are gonna hate. His blog is popular? and I guess he's as not popular with the SF crowd as some of the other posters here? I mean SF is full of purists happy.gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gifbiggrin.gif
post #49 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

you seem to have made up your mind. whats the point of asking others for opinion?

no kidding
post #50 of 93
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acridsheep View Post

Define "no one".

He was a finalist on a WAYWT thread, and typically finalists need to get approval in order to be voted on. I'm sure some people didn't like it, but I'd think that the majority did.
post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

you seem to have made up your mind. whats the point of asking others for opinion?

 

+ 2.  This is the second or third thread where you came here asking for opinions and, when people did not tell you what you wanted to hear, you told everyone they were wrong and not sufficiently knowledgeable about what is fashionable or appropriate for people in their early 20's.

post #52 of 93
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

+ 2.  This is the second or third thread where you came here asking for opinions and, when people did not tell you what you wanted to hear, you told everyone they were wrong and not sufficiently knowledgeable about what is fashionable or appropriate for people in their early 20's.

I sincerely apologize for coming off like that. I did not intend to "correct" anyone, I was simply giving another point of view, contrary to most other views. But you are right, this thread should be closed.

MODS: please close this thread.
post #53 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Better, but I still think that coat looks very feminine on you between the belt and the length.

 

Agree.

post #54 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

MODS: please close this thread.

Why? It's just starting to get entertaining. Maybe Foo will come in and tell you that short trench coats are very 1%.

Trench coats are a species of overcoat. Overcoats can come in various lengths but -- and I hope this is not too controversial but this is SF -- their defining characteristic is that they go over jackets. An overcoat that isn't much longer than the jacket it's covering just isn't doing its job. So ankle-length to just over the knees works fine. But when you start getting much shorter than that, especially when it doesn't go past the ends of your fingers, it's not really much of an overcoat.

Rather, it becomes a species of jacket. If you really want to wear a double-breasted trench jacket, go ahead. But do so at your own risk. Didn't you see Manton's thread about how many stares DB jackets are getting these days?
post #55 of 93

You do realize the OP is young right? The long Burberry trenches suit older gentlemen and gives a more traditional look. With the young generation (me included), we are looking for more of a sophisticated slim that tailors to our physique. In any case, to the OP, I say stick to the cropped/shorter trenches. It will look more flattering. Although, I do agree with some of the other posters in stating that the buttons of your trench and along the waist makes you look more feminine.

 

For instance, this would be something that looks ideal:

 

Burberry-London-mens-slim-a-line-trench-coat-1.jpg

post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post

You do realize the OP is young right? The long Burberry trenches suit older gentlemen and gives a more traditional look. With the young generation (me included), we are looking for more of a sophisticated slim that tailors to our physique. In any case, to the OP, I say stick to the cropped/shorter trenches. It will look more flattering. Although, I do agree with some of the other posters in stating that the buttons of your trench and along the waist makes you look more feminine.

For instance, this would be something that looks ideal:

350x622px-LL-64b974e9_Burberry-London-mens-slim-a-line-trench-coat-1.jpeg

The problem is when you take a classic look, and you mess with it to the point that it just looks silly. Cropped trench coats look better as SB without the belt. tailored fit is fine, I doubt anyone would argue otherwise, but when you're running around as a college student with these huge collars/lapels, the belt cinched down, and the short length, you look odd.

The reason the long trenches are still around and very popular is because they look good.
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post

I don't think these guys would look nearly as tough in cropped-length coats...
350x197px-LL-4774fdc6_large20pale20rider20blu-ray9.jpeg
Thanks for this?  Why is this turning into a discussion of "manliness"?  I don't need a longer trench coat to feel more masculine, in fact, I'm quite happy with my cropped coat.  I suppose some of you who think they are to feminine for your liking arent as comfortable with your masculinity?  Either way, I intended this thread to be about peoples opinions of trench coats, maybe you could all post pictures of your coats as well.  I respect everyones opinions as to whether or not a cropped v. a long trench is masculine or feminine but I think the above post is taking it a bit to far.

Since I was the one who introduced the word 'feminine' into the thread, I feel a responsibility to clarify a few points.
Study the photo that Bradford posted and the observation he made about it. This is in fact, correct.
Perhaps you are unaware of an old but true saying that states, 'the perception becomes the reality' ?
You asked our opinions with good intention and we have rendered unto you with equally good intention.
No one here questions your masculinity or confidence. No one is trying to make you feel bad about your purchase.
Some men would never wear this length if others perceive it to be feminine while other men will rock this length with no concern at all to what others think.
By creating this thread, you do care what others think. If you didn't, you would not have asked, correct?
A standard length on a trench coat ends at or just below the knee. This is with good reason as the garments intention is to offer additional warmth to the body and protection to suit and pants against the elements. Both the standard and shorter lengths are acceptable and one must decide which length best suits their needs, lifestyle and body type. Fit does matter.
Our concern here is fit and that you'll enjoy the coat for at least a decade in order to get your moneys worth out of it. The fit of this coat on you, improved when you added a jacket and you'll be just fine wearing it. Were I your age, and provided the length suited me, I would probably have purchased this length as well. I am sure others will agree with me that you'll receive a lot of compliments and enjoyment wearing it. Congratulations on your purchase. smile.gif
post #58 of 93
The question seems to be whether the OP was really seeking forum opinions or forum validation for his short trench. The majority of posters, myself included, panned the cropped look. The OP became defensive about his choice and the "fresh" look aka trendy look about the trench. Ultimately, it's your money and your choice and based on the posts, the consensus is that it's a one way ticket to Tackytown.

You could try the same thing with DB suits, post three pics, an 80s style job for a "retro" look, an A&S for "classic" and a new tight, cropped one for "modern". Most people here would choose the second, but if you favor the first or third, no amount of posts will change your mind.
post #59 of 93
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post


Since I was the one who introduced the word 'feminine' into the thread, I feel a responsibility to clarify a few points.
Study the photo that Bradford posted and the observation he made about it. This is in fact, correct.
Perhaps you are unaware of an old but true saying that states, 'the perception becomes the reality' ?
You asked our opinions with good intention and we have rendered unto you with equally good intention.
No one here questions your masculinity or confidence. No one is trying to make you feel bad about your purchase.
Some men would never wear this length if others perceive it to be feminine while other men will rock this length with no concern at all to what others think.
By creating this thread, you do care what others think. If you didn't, you would not have asked, correct?
A standard length on a trench coat ends at or just below the knee. This is with good reason as the garments intention is to offer additional warmth to the body and protection to suit and pants against the elements. Both the standard and shorter lengths are acceptable and one must decide which length best suits their needs, lifestyle and body type. Fit does matter.
Our concern here is fit and that you'll enjoy the coat for at least a decade in order to get your moneys worth out of it. The fit of this coat on you, improved when you added a jacket and you'll be just fine wearing it. Were I your age, and provided the length suited me, I would probably have purchased this length as well. I am sure others will agree with me that you'll receive a lot of compliments and enjoyment wearing it. Congratulations on your purchase. smile.gif

Thanks for this.  What I've been trying (and failing) at saying is that I understand why many of you think its too short.  I'm not arguing that you think its too short and that a longer moe traditional one is the better value.  I completely understand, and respect that.  However, I was asking for your opinions on the coat DISREGARDING the length.  I got some good feedback (such as the buttons, and the color).  But I really just wanted to know what you all think of the quality, and the fit (again, disregarding the length).

post #60 of 93

Off topic from the quality of your coat, but I just wanted to say that you're lucky you find Burberrys on sale. From where I live (Canada), you can never find Burberrys on sale.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Trench Coat options