or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Trench Coat options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trench Coat options - Page 2

post #16 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

How does it look now?

350x367px-LL-3a61a985_burberrylondon.jpeg

I know you all think it is too short, however, keep in mind that I purposely bought a cropped coat so I can wear it as outwear also.  Disregarding the length, does it seem to fit better now?  Thanks for your cooperation SF.

The flareout at the bottom has been diminished substantially in this picture -- I think that was the main thing that made the coat look just a little off. Of course the sleeves still need to be taken in.
post #17 of 93

Better, but I still think that coat looks very feminine on you between the belt and the length.

post #18 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by minervau View Post


The flareout at the bottom has been diminished substantially in this picture -- I think that was the main thing that made the coat look just a little off. Of course the sleeves still need to be taken in.

Looks good imo, get it taken in and you are off to the races. 

post #19 of 93

That length looks silly on a man. Better get a longer one.

post #20 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

I know you all think it is too short, however, keep in mind that I purposely bought a cropped coat so I can wear it as outwear also.  Disregarding the length, does it seem to fit better now?  Thanks for your cooperation SF.

I'm unclear how else a coat can be worn, traditionally designed or otherwise.

Like everyone else, I think the coat looks like a summer dress on you, and you should return it.
post #21 of 93
I think it looks good on you, but as with others I prefer a longer coat.
post #22 of 93
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I'm unclear how else a coat can be worn, traditionally designed or otherwise.
Like everyone else, I think the coat looks like a summer dress on you, and you should return it.

Typically trenches are worn in the rain only. My question was, can I wear this as a regular jacket when it isn't raining, or will it look out of place? (I know you all think it already looks out of place but understand I want it cropped.)
post #23 of 93
I guarentee that in two-three years, you will regret getting a cropped one. Absolutely. Cropped or not, a trench coat can be worn as what you seem to define "outerwear."
post #24 of 93
Honestly, I think its going to look weird to wear a raincoat when its not raining.

Seems to me that if you just want a coat that is this length you should consider getting a Belstaff or a Barbour.
post #25 of 93

Looks much better!.. However I don't really like that colour of trench coat at all. I prefer navy 

post #26 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

How does it look now?

350x367px-LL-3a61a985_burberrylondon.jpeg

I know you all think it is too short, however, keep in mind that I purposely bought a cropped coat so I can wear it as outwear also.  Disregarding the length, does it seem to fit better now?  Thanks for your cooperation SF.

much better
post #27 of 93
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post


much better

I'm glad you approve now.  What I didn't tell you is that I haven't had the jacket touched yet this was just a much better angle.  That first picture was taken from an angle that the camera was looking up at me. 

 

When I wear this over my BB tweed SC its snug.  I can not fit my fist in between the coat and the SC.  When I'm wearing this coat with just a tshirt underneath, I have maybe 2 inches of room and when its not belted, it has a great shape, however, I'm not sure if I like the way it looks not belted.  I agree with many of you that when it isnt belted it looks slightly feminine:

tt.jpg

 

On a final note, regarding the "correct" length of trenches, I went to the Burberry store in Short Hills, NJ today and every single mens trench they had was "cropped".  They didn't have one full length trench in the entire mens section of the store.  I understand you all seem to like the classic long trench however, I think Burberry is trying to move away from that and "modernize" their trench for the first time in over one-hundred years.  I also think that by buying a cropped trench it allows the wearer to wear it more frequently then a traditional below-the-knee length.  Maybe I'm a little ignorant (possibly due to my age) but I dont think there is anything wrong with a shorter trench, I just think its a different style and fashion is always changing.  What do you all think?

post #28 of 93
hmmm, I went with a "cropped" one, but it's more like just above the knee rather thank below, not like yours which is about mid-thigh, ie rather short. also it's ok for a trench to be big in the waist and long in the sleeve... it's meant to be that way if I'm not mistaken

also, that color might not be the best for your complexion

lastly, I dunno why but I just think that coat's kinda ugly
post #29 of 93

I feel like something's funny with the buttons on that. As others have been saying, I'm not sure it's the right coat for you. However, I didn't log in to comment about that, and that's a matter of taste anyway.

 

I came to comment specifically regarding the length (which is also a matter of taste, but...) You have to be careful asking these kinds of questions in this section of the forum because the most vocal members are very traditionalist. Nothing wrong with that certainly, but it doesn't look right on every guy, especially not young, thin guys. 

 

I'm 25. I bought a cropped trench coat too, half a year or so ago. It's by Ben Sherman and was $100 at Nordstrom Rack. Fit me near-perfectly right off the rack (Ben Sherman is typically a rather slim fit). Quality is not Burberry-level obviously, but it's not bad for something I'm honestly not going to wear very often. I bought it because I liked it and I liked how it looked, but also because I needed appropriately "dressy" outerwear for NYC in Fall and I lived in SoCal at the time and hardly had any outerwear at all (as an aside... you can find great deals on outerwear at Nordstrom Rack and similar stores in SoCal since nobody there ever needs outerwear).

 

I tried more traditional-length coats, and I even tried (more recently) a full-length Burberry coat. I also am a major thrifter and have tried on a lot of vintage trench coats and other traditional-style coats over the years (more out of curiosity than need, to see how they look).

 

IMO full-length coats don't necessarily look silly, even on someone young, but they look very traditional and old-man-ish. And it's different for every frame, but on me they make me look heavier (which is a problem with many standard cuts for me - weird shape - 43/44 short). They're certainly not stylish. You can argue that Humphrey Bogart's Burberry coat in Casablanca looks awesome and stylish, and it does, but... that's Bogart. Most guys can't pull it off. It feels weird to me to say that about such a classic, traditional item, but in this day and age that's true of most traditional classic items of clothing.

 

Maybe everyone who has piped in saying full-length is the way to go has a full-length trench coat that looks great on them. I don't know. But I do know that every person I've ever seen wearing a full-length trench coat or similar in person (in several different cities where I've lived or spent a lot of time) looked mediocre at best, and very conservative (in a bad way). 

 

Finally, in order for a jacket like this to truly look like a women's jacket, it would have to be cut exceedingly short, like a short sport coat (if not shorter). Saying this looks feminine is crazy. Which is not to say that these particular proportions are right for you - and that's hard to judge without a full-length shot - but it's certainly not overly feminine. I think mine is actually a little shorter and it definitely doesn't make me look like a woman (though as I've alluded to I have a very different frame to work with).

post #30 of 93
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

hmmm, I went with a "cropped" one, but it's more like just above the knee rather thank below, not like yours which is about mid-thigh, ie rather short. also it's ok for a trench to be big in the waist and long in the sleeve... it's meant to be that way if I'm not mistaken
also, that color might not be the best for your complexion
lastly, I dunno why but I just think that coat's kinda ugly

Thanks for the response.  Could you post a picture of yours?  I've seen many cropped trenches that look great (I'll some more pictures of others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinchris View Post

I feel like something's funny with the buttons on that. As others have been saying, I'm not sure it's the right coat for you. However, I didn't log in to comment about that, and that's a matter of taste anyway.

 

I came to comment specifically regarding the length (which is also a matter of taste, but...) You have to be careful asking these kinds of questions in this section of the forum because the most vocal members are very traditionalist. Nothing wrong with that certainly, but it doesn't look right on every guy, especially not young, thin guys. 

 

I'm 25. I bought a cropped trench coat too, half a year or so ago. It's by Ben Sherman and was $100 at Nordstrom Rack. Fit me near-perfectly right off the rack (Ben Sherman is typically a rather slim fit). Quality is not Burberry-level obviously, but it's not bad for something I'm honestly not going to wear very often. I bought it because I liked it and I liked how it looked, but also because I needed appropriately "dressy" outerwear for NYC in Fall and I lived in SoCal at the time and hardly had any outerwear at all (as an aside... you can find great deals on outerwear at Nordstrom Rack and similar stores in SoCal since nobody there ever needs outerwear).

 

I tried more traditional-length coats, and I even tried (more recently) a full-length Burberry coat. I also am a major thrifter and have tried on a lot of vintage trench coats and other traditional-style coats over the years (more out of curiosity than need, to see how they look).

 

IMO full-length coats don't necessarily look silly, even on someone young, but they look very traditional and old-man-ish. And it's different for every frame, but on me they make me look heavier (which is a problem with many standard cuts for me - weird shape - 43/44 short). They're certainly not stylish. You can argue that Humphrey Bogart's Burberry coat in Casablanca looks awesome and stylish, and it does, but... that's Bogart. Most guys can't pull it off. It feels weird to me to say that about such a classic, traditional item, but in this day and age that's true of most traditional classic items of clothing.

 

Maybe everyone who has piped in saying full-length is the way to go has a full-length trench coat that looks great on them. I don't know. But I do know that every person I've ever seen wearing a full-length trench coat or similar in person (in several different cities where I've lived or spent a lot of time) looked mediocre at best, and very conservative (in a bad way). 

 

Finally, in order for a jacket like this to truly look like a women's jacket, it would have to be cut exceedingly short, like a short sport coat (if not shorter). Saying this looks feminine is crazy. Which is not to say that these particular proportions are right for you - and that's hard to judge without a full-length shot - but it's certainly not overly feminine. I think mine is actually a little shorter and it definitely doesn't make me look like a woman (though as I've alluded to I have a very different frame to work with).

Thank you for this reply.  I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  What is important to keep in mind is that when I bought this coat I purposely bought a cropped coat because its more versatile, meaning, I could wear this almost like I wear my pea coat and I could wear it when its raining.  I think the traditional full length trench coats look out of place when they are worn in dry weather.  

 

Here are some pictures of other cropped trench coats that I think look great.  What do you all think is the difference between these coats and mine (they are all the same length as mine)?:

DTT1.jpgDTT2.jpgDTT3.jpgDTT4.jpgDTT5.jpg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Trench Coat options