or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying/ordering a linen suit - what do you need to know?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying/ordering a linen suit - what do you need to know?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I'd like to purchase a navy linen suit, a tan or brown linen jacket, and several pairs of linen pants. I don't see much in the way of OTR linen suits, so I'm guessing that MTM is the way to go. How do the prices for linen tailored clothing compare to wool? Are there any makers in particular that stand out when it comes to making linen clothing? Any pitfalls to avoid when purchasing linen?

Thanks, h_s.
post #2 of 26
i assume you want linen blend, not a full linen as it would look terribly wrinkled for suits/jackets.
most linen clothing are cut large as its meant to be a roomy and airy. howard yount has a decent jacket. BB makes pants. there are also very nice up-market jackets on Shop The Finest. dont know who has OTR suits...
post #3 of 26
In my experience linen costs much the same as wool. Pure linen is fine for suits and jackets - it does wrinkle but that's part of its charm. The heavier the cloth, the less it will wrinkle. Leave the sleeves slightly longer than you would for wool as the wrinkling will cause them to creep up a bit.
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

i assume you want linen blend, not a full linen as it would look terribly wrinkled for suits/jackets.
...

quit while you are ahead with such tripe.

There is a whole thread on linen suits FWIW.
post #5 of 26
From what I've seen linen tends to be slightly less money. More then cotton but less then wool. OTOH we aren't talking a huge difference.

Brown linen? When do you intend to wear this?
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

Brown linen? When do you intend to wear this?

When you're walking around Italian towns.
525
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

From what I've seen linen tends to be slightly less money. More then cotton but less then wool. OTOH we aren't talking a huge difference.
Brown linen? When do you intend to wear this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post

quit while you are ahead with such tripe.
There is a whole thread on linen suits FWIW.

Isn't brown for farmers?
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post

When you're walking around Italian towns.
525

From the lighting that's fall/winter smile.gif
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

i assume you want linen blend, not a full linen as it would look terribly wrinkled for suits/jackets.
tinfoil.gif

Get the heavy Irish linen for less wrinkles. BB usually has some OTR for about $600. Damned work Internet filter won't let me check right now.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

tinfoil.gif
Get the heavy Irish linen for less wrinkles.
Such contradiction defeats the purpose of linen. you dont think?
post #11 of 26
Whatever you do I'd stick to a slightly heavier linen for the suit. 14oz should be appropriate. The SC and pants can be lighter, but anything less substantial than 14oz will likely wrinkle considerably. Personally I would go with fresco in a suit, but I can see the charm in a conservative navy suit made from a fabric with character.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

Such contradiction defeats the purpose of linen. you dont think?
No, it is still quite porous and cool.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

No, it is still quite porous and cool.
ive had some Irish linen sport shirts from last summer's BB collection... wears almost like denim. i cant imagine something like that, or heavier, as an outergarment in a summer's day. (though i do live in the south)

to each his own
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

ive had some Irish linen sport shirts from last summer's BB collection... wears almost like denim. i cant imagine something like that, or heavier, as an outergarment in a summer's day. (though i do live in the south)
to each his own

Was it lined? I agree that you want a quarter-lined (at most) jacket if you're in the heavier linens. I have had some linen jackets in the past with light fabric but that were, for some strange reason, completely lined. It takes a lot away from the breathe-ability of linen.

A heavier linen on its own shouldn't be as cumbersome as denim. It might feel heavy at first or actually be warm to the touch on the surface, but you shouldn't feel any of that while it is being worn.
post #15 of 26
Can anyone point me to a retailer for some nice relaxed drawstring linen pants? I thought bonobos used to have them, but now I don't see them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying/ordering a linen suit - what do you need to know?