or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quality of Crockett & Jones vs. Rendedbach leather soles?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quality of Crockett & Jones vs. Rendedbach leather soles?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi,
I currently have two pairs of Crockett and Jones shoes and several pairs of Edward Greens. Between them I find the C&J soles to be very soft and find them to wear very rapidly. One pair is starting to develop cracks in the sole, so I am planning to send them in for a recrafting shortly. Before sending them in, I would like your opinions as to which soles are of better quality, wear slower and have the best price to quality ratio. Based on your input I shall either send them to C&J for a recrafting or have them recrafted by a third party with JR soles.

PS: If any has received a recent quote from C&J U.K. regarding what it costs to have a pair of bench grades recrafted please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael
post #2 of 14
if we are talking bench grades, I'd say the JR soles will last longer.

Handgrades vs. JR should be very similar.

I say do the JRs
post #3 of 14
£125 to resole a pair of handgrades. I believe the price is the same for bench grade.
post #4 of 14
You could ask C&J for a oak bark sole like handgrades, if it's possible.
post #5 of 14
JR outsoling is tanned with valona...acorn caps. It tends to be hard and brittle and more prone to cracking.

Contrary to popular mythology, harder doesn't necessarily equal better wear...esp. when it comes to leather outsoling. Maybe back when we all walked on dirt trails and grassy commons. But on abrasive surfaces the media that can yield a little to the roughness of asphalt, for instance will usually wear a little better.

I can't speak to what was on your shoes originally or what C&j uses as a default repair sole, but Baker outsoles...English and tanned with oak bark...are considered the gold standard by many and will tend to feel a little softer than the JR.

But wear better.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the information and tips so far gents!
I have learned allot from them. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

JR outsoling is tanned with valona...acorn caps. It tends to be hard and brittle and more prone to cracking.
Contrary to popular mythology, harder doesn't necessarily equal better wear...esp. when it comes to leather outsoling. Maybe back when we all walked on dirt trails and grassy commons. But on abrasive surfaces the media that can yield a little to the roughness of asphalt, for instance will usually wear a little better.
I can't speak to what was on your shoes originally or what C&j uses as a default repair sole, but Baker outsoles...English and tanned with oak bark...are considered the gold standard by many and will tend to feel a little softer than the JR.
But wear better.

 

Having used both Baker and JR, I've gone towards JR as the better product. I would have preferred if the local product was better than the European import but then that's life.

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling View Post

Having used both Baker and JR, I've gone towards JR as the better product. I would have preferred if the local product was better than the European import but then that's life.

Just the opposite here. We can get JR fairly easily here in the States. Aside from the, in my view, outrageous imposition of their brand upon a product I will use (might as well sell space on my shoes for the Coke label) in my work, it is better than average quality leather, in my opinion.

I like Baker better but in point of fact, I use a Belgian chestnut tanned outsoling that is somewhere in-between Baker and JR in temper, is readily available and finishes up nicely.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


Just the opposite here. We can get JR fairly easily here in the States. Aside from the, in my view, outrageous imposition of their brand upon a product I will use (might as well sell space on my shoes for the Coke label) in my work, it is better than average quality leather, in my opinion.
I like Baker better but in point of fact, I use a Belgian chestnut tanned outsoling that is somewhere in-between Baker and JR in temper, is readily available and finishes up nicely.

 

Milton-Sokol?

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling View Post

Milton-Sokol?

Yes. fing02[1].gif

Forgive the intrusion, but...who are you? And where are you? (PM me if you will...just curious.)
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


Yes. fing02[1].gif
Forgive the intrusion, but...who are you? And where are you? (PM me if you will...just curious.)

 

Oh, I'm no one important!

 

I did run a tannery for a good few years and worked for a few English shoemakers, but that was in another life.

 

BTW I'm quite impressed with the depth of your knowledge.

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling View Post

Oh, I'm no one important!

I did run a tannery for a good few years and worked for a few English shoemakers, but that was in another life.

BTW I'm quite impressed with the depth of your knowledge.

I understand exactly what you mean. Maybe it's a certain age.

My knowledge comes straight from the bench...mostly. It has pine tar under the fingernails and dye soaked into the hand.

When you come to it, it's the knowledge itself that's important simply because like a lot of other things in life, you rent to own.

And thanks.
post #13 of 14
We use far more JR then any any other leather.
Never get complaints about it.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

JR outsoling is tanned with valona...acorn caps. It tends to be hard and brittle and more prone to cracking.
Contrary to popular mythology, harder doesn't necessarily equal better wear...esp. when it comes to leather outsoling. Maybe back when we all walked on dirt trails and grassy commons. But on abrasive surfaces the media that can yield a little to the roughness of asphalt, for instance will usually wear a little better.
I can't speak to what was on your shoes originally or what C&j uses as a default repair sole, but Baker outsoles...English and tanned with oak bark...are considered the gold standard by many and will tend to feel a little softer than the JR.
But wear better.
post is very good icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
yes bakers is best me ever wear
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quality of Crockett & Jones vs. Rendedbach leather soles?