or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Shoe Fit Dilema. Advice needed!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Shoe Fit Dilema. Advice needed!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Greetings,

I purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Sheltons about a month back. I wore the shoes twice. They are extremely tight in the upper part of the toe box (near the little toe). After my 2nd wearing I realize that they are un-wearable. I do have an old pair of Sheltons (too beat to re-craft) and the new shoes are different from my old pair. I have quite a number of Allen Edmonds shoes including Stands, McAllister, Park Ave, McClains, McNeils, to name a few. They all fit well.

I wear a 12D (my old pair of Sheltons are 12D and fit extremely well. I recently purchased Sheltons 1-511 last and the Norwich. The both are unbearable to wear. They hurt at the little toe on each foot. The length of the shoes fit fine. The 511 last is said to be fuller in the toe box but I don’t find that. The leather on the new Sheltons are thicker calf than my original Sheltons which are Cobbler’s leather that is thinner and fit like a glove. I didn’t expect the change in the shoe but I do like the new shoe.

I purchased the shoes via mail order from an AE store out of state as I don’t have any decent stores in the area that has a good stock of shoes.

I’m thinking of going with a 12E (which I’ve never purchased before).

I’ve read on other posts that AE is good with exchanging (even if worn). In your experiences should I contact the store where purchased or the AE main number?

Any insight is appreciated.
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by knezz View Post

Greetings,
I purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Sheltons about a month back. I wore the shoes twice. They are extremely tight in the upper part of the toe box (near the little toe). After my 2nd wearing I realize that they are un-wearable. I do have an old pair of Sheltons (too beat to re-craft) and the new shoes are different from my old pair. I have quite a number of Allen Edmonds shoes including Stands, McAllister, Park Ave, McClains, McNeils, to name a few. They all fit well.
I wear a 12D (my old pair of Sheltons are 12D and fit extremely well. I recently purchased Sheltons 1-511 last and the Norwich. The both are unbearable to wear. They hurt at the little toe on each foot. The length of the shoes fit fine. The 511 last is said to be fuller in the toe box but I don’t find that. The leather on the new Sheltons are thicker calf than my original Sheltons which are Cobbler’s leather that is thinner and fit like a glove. I didn’t expect the change in the shoe but I do like the new shoe.
I purchased the shoes via mail order from an AE store out of state as I don’t have any decent stores in the area that has a good stock of shoes.
I’m thinking of going with a 12E (which I’ve never purchased before).
I’ve read on other posts that AE is good with exchanging (even if worn). In your experiences should I contact the store where purchased or the AE main number?
Any insight is appreciated.

It's hard to believe that there are no stores in Philadelphia or nearby. But your shoes in person. Your foot probably grew a bit from when you last bought the old pair, you may need a 13.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedley View Post

It's hard to believe that there are no stores in Philadelphia or nearby. But your shoes in person. Your foot probably grew a bit from when you last bought the old pair, you may need a 13.

A few stores can get them but none have them in stock. As mentioned I have quite a few of AEs and they fit well in 12D. Some have not been worn yet.


Also the new Shelton is a completly different shoe (shape and leather).
post #4 of 11

It's not just the last but also the leather.  I get a good fit from the calf Park Avenue and other calf 5 last shoes.  I recently received the Neumok also 5 last and the fit is the not the same.  The Neumok used an unlined waxy leather.  I've also been told that shell cordovan will fit slightly different in the same size and last as a comparable shoe in calf.

 

Going up one width with also changes the girth and heel cup.  I've had success moving up a half size in length giving my toes more room but without spoiling the heel fit.

 

AE customer service is very good.  My AE store manager told me she'd rather exchange the shoes than leave me with something that doesn't fit.  I've seen posts from other SF members indicating they've had the same experience.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

It's not just the last but also the leather.  I get a good fit from the calf Park Avenue and other calf 5 last shoes.  I recently received the Neumok also 5 last and the fit is the not the same.  The Neumok used an unlined waxy leather.  I've also been told that shell cordovan will fit slightly different in the same size and last as a comparable shoe in calf.

Going up one width with also changes the girth and heel cup.  I've had success moving up a half size in length giving my toes more room but without spoiling the heel fit.

AE customer service is very good.  My AE store manager told me she'd rather exchange the shoes than leave me with something that doesn't fit.  I've seen posts from other SF members indicating they've had the same experience.

I spoke with an AE SA and he suggested I ship the shoes back and he would send me another pair in the same size to . He test. He said he is baffled and think it may be the pair I have. I think that is a long shot but it may be worth a shot.

My issue is that I wear a 12D and the next size is a 13 and I would think that the size 13 would ruin the fit in the heel.
post #6 of 11

Ah, I see.  You may need a custom size ($75 extra).  They can make a 12.5D for you.  If it doesn't fit, you can return or exchange it.  I just ordered a Katmai in a custom size, but I'm not happy with it.  SA has ordered some different shoes for me to try and will exchange them if that's what I want.

 

**Edit**

 

I didn't see a "C" width on the 1-511, but you could also try a 13B.  It sounds crazy but the difference in length between a 12 and a 13 is about 0.38 inches.  It will change the crease pattern most likely.

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
I agree. It does sound crazy. nod[1].gif

It would have been a great help to find a store that stocked AE in my area. I can't believe that a large city would have this problem.

Looking at the shoe when it is on I see that the leather uppers overlap the width of the soles a little. Explanation: With the shoes on, standing and looking down at them I can't see the side of the soles as the leather uppers spread out and covers them. Neither my McAllisters, Strands, Fifth Streets, McClains, Moras, Weybridges etc. look that way. Butting them up against my other shoes they do look to be about 1/4" narrower. I know it's not scientific... I'm just saying. I wouldn't think just a 1/4" would make them feel this unconfortable. Other than the pressure next to my little toe they fit well. Again the 1-511 last states that it is generous.. Oh well.
post #8 of 11

It's easy to think about shoe size as a two dimensional measurement (length and width).  But it's a three dimensional fit (length x width x height = volume).  You may think you need extra width when what you actually need is more volume.  There is more than one way to accomplish that (such as increasing the length). 

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

It's easy to think about shoe size as a two dimensional measurement (length and width).  But it's a three dimensional fit (length x width x height = volume).  You may think you need extra width when what you actually need is more volume.  There is more than one way to accomplish that (such as increasing the length). 

Wow.. that was easy.. Thanks..
post #10 of 11

Let us know how you make out.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
On an outing today I stopped at one of our shoe stores. They didn't have the Shelton in stock and never do. I tried on a few pair of Aldens and Allen Edmonds in a 12D and they fit fine. The Braddock device says I'm a 12D. Once I return them and get a replacement pair I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Shoe Fit Dilema. Advice needed!