• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Third Annual Collection of Sartorial Excellence

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is something I posted two years ago this very month:

Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz
I have noticed over time that the forum venue lacks a key ingredient when applied to the field of clothing. Though expressed in a myriad of ways, that failing can be summed up quite simply: Show Me.

Recent attempts on my part to verbally explain . . .
- - - the differences between single- and double-needle stitching
- - - why proper shirt tail stitching is stronger and superior to the use of gussets on a 'cheater' hem
- - - why certain twill weaves make proper dress shirts whereas heavier ones do not
- - - how to differentiate between M.O.P. and plastic buttons
- - - and thousands upon thousands of words on other subjects, all of which could be physically demonstrated in mere seconds . . . convinced me that the forum needed a supplement.
Toward that end, a group of we artisans of the various sartorial trades discussed the situation and decided that such a supplement was possible. And so was born the concept behind "A Collection of Sartorial Excellence". A two-day exposition with experts available in-person to not only answer your questions, but to actually show you the answers!

Over the last three years, A Collection of Sartorial Excellence as grown and matured. The 2005 event was somewhat of a hodge-podge of eager artisans; long on enthusiasm and somewhat lacking in variety. The much larger 2006 event featured a panel of industry authorities answering attendees questions. There were raffles and hostesses and videos of makers in action and an attendees' dinner and so much more. Members came in from the world 'round, one even flying more than 12,000 miles in from Singapore! The 2007 Event, our Third Annual, is shaping up to be just about double in size.

I am most pleased to announce:

InviteWebAnimMaster2007_01.gif

Click here to Request your Invitation before they're gone:

http://www.SartorialExcellence.net

There will be more this year. More artisans. An organized dinner for Collection Attendees. More wine. A panel discussion/Q&A with sartorial luminaries and select Super Members. More food. Moderators available for lambasting. Ongoing demonstrations of maker's techniques. More furnishings and accessories. More hostesses. Many more hostesses.

Here's a bit more information about the event for those who are new:

1] All of we artisans, and our partners and/or members of our staffs will be available to answer questions during the entire seventeen-plus hours of the event.

2] There will be no long-winded speeches by the artisans. Our concern lies not in offering self-serving monologues topically germane to microcosmic manifestations of each of our particular sartorial arts. The agreed goal is to try to respond intelligiently to your concerns with respect to the design, quality, construction, and usage of the clothing you either wear or aspire towards.

3] More specifically, "demonstrations" will be continuous. That is the entire premise ... that there is much about clothing frequently asked on the fora which is ever-so-much better shown rather than written. "Presentations", insofar as they are to be differentiated from demonstrations, will be in the form of the clothing & furnishings available for inspection ... and the interogation of its maker. We have every expectation that the entire event will consist of one long "discussion session".

4] Will we display our wares? How can I show you the difference between a French front and a placket center without having them available? Will Joelle, Damien, and I be loading 2000 boxes of Zimmerli underwear and 60 dozen Pantherellas into a tractor-trailer and moving it to the Regency? Not likely! Will I have a few of each type so I can show all those who have asked what the difference is between Pure Comfort, Pureness MicroModal and Royal Classic Cotton Lisle? Positively yes. I would be derelict if I didn't. Will there be ties, a number of suits, a sampling of hats & shirts and a range of shoes? Of course ... what else would you be coming to learn about if not the positive and negative aspects of the clothing we so frequently discuss? Will there be items for sale? To a man (and woman) we're all damn proud of what we do. We're certainly not going to show it to you and then say you can't have it if you want. But that is not the focus of the event.

5] In relation to bespoke making, I view the event to be somewhat similar to my first meeting with a new client. We spend some time discussing style and wardrobe coordination. We usually segue to a more intense back-and-forth regarding the many various options available in the design and construction of shirts - as well as the advantages and detriments of each. We then go over measurement and fitting parameters in relation to occupational & "social needs" requirements, body type, and esthetic preferences. Finally, we begin to carve a synopsis of our meeting into a more concrete agenda for the building of a shirt and furnishings collection. That's where I see the event from my shirt perspective - taking you through the process up to but not including the bespeaking part where AmEx enters into the equation. The other artisans see similar courses of action in their own fields.

6] All the while, our official photographers will be taking pictures with and of our guests (who consent to such things) and posting them on the fora so that those far from NYC can get a bit of vicarious enjoyment. As no other cameras are permitted at the event, the photographers will gladly shoot anything you would like and supply you with prints at no charge.

7] Finally, as to the Dress Code for the event, Proper Attire is required. That does not necessarily mean business dress which is, of course, perfectly acceptable. Weekend casual is fine as is White Tie & Tails if you are so inclined. But ... T-shirts and jeans or your fave featherweight flip-flops ... just will not pass muster.

8] Check back here regularly. Down below is a photo montage from the 2006 event to give you the low-down.

9] During the next three weeks I shall be posting interesting biographies and photos of the artisans who will be participating in the Third Annual Collection of Sartorial Excellence. As each photo animation is prepared and ready for publication, you will learn - one-by-one - the who, what, when, where, why ... and how ... of each of the participating artisans!

If you have questions, please post them below and I'll do my utmost to get you the answers. Let me close with a memorable quotation from the forum's own Son of Beau Brummel who, at the end of the 2005 First Annual Collection, posted the following:
Originally Posted by Son of Beau Brummel
"For two, brief days, a hotel suite in the Regency was turned into a mini-department store. Although it was smack in the middle of Manhattan's luxury retail district, this store on the 19th floor became the city's finest and most exclusive mens store. I heard the managers of Bergdorf's and Barneys breathed a collective sigh of relief at 6:00 pm when the show ended."

Sartorial Excellence, 2006:
CSE_06Anim.gif

See you at the show!

A Collection of Sartorial Excellence Copyright Â
00a9.png
2005 Alexander S. Kabbaz

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome. I hope a number of the attendees take good pictures!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Sounds awesome. I hope a number of the attendees take good pictures!

6] All the while, our official photographers will be taking pictures with and of our guests (who consent to such things) and posting them on the fora so that those far from NYC can get a bit of vicarious enjoyment. As no other cameras are permitted at the event, the photographers will gladly shoot anything you would like and supply you with prints at no charge.

sloaney

Reaction score
don't mean to start an argument here.... but i wonder: is it just me? from what i gathered from the photos above, most of the attendees were not well dressed, did not take care of their bodies, and did not have good taste in clothes. i mean even a h&m salesperson would look better dressed.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
don't mean to start an argument here.... but i wonder: is it just me? from what i gathered from the photos above, most of the attendees were not well dressed, did not take care of their bodies, and did not have good taste in clothes. i mean even a h&m salesperson would look better dressed.

In these photos I can only see two people in conservative business dress.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Who's the blonde Alex?
Ninth picture after the title card. She looks a bit like Deborah Harry in that pic.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be fair, not everybody can be as good looking as I am
smile.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Who's the blonde Alex?
Ninth picture after the title card. She looks a bit like Deborah Harry in that pic.

Yeah ... in real life, too. Melissa is one of the teachers at my art school. Can I enroll you for a few classes?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
GG reading closely on my part.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where should we send your invitation? Perhaps you can teach us how?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz
Yeah ... in real life, too. Melissa is one of the teachers at my art school. Can I enroll you for a few classes?
Only if you pay for my plane ticket too...
rimshot.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Background: Many of last year's CSE photos were inappropriately used. Sorry about the camera restriction, but rest assured that this year's photos will be posted here each day in a more difficult-to-steal format.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My lowness knows no bounds! The depths to which I will sink in the name of humor are unfathomable!

Kasper

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a similar event focused on conservative business dress?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads