or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › BlackLapel.com - any experience with them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BlackLapel.com - any experience with them? - Page 3

post #31 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIALnERROR View Post

Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'm in the market for three suits, so I will order my first through BL until I get the exact fit, then order the remaining two.

jmm003: I too am concerned with Indochino's "hybrid" construction. In your opinion, is it worth the $150 upgrade to go full canvas or are the half-canvassed suits acceptable? What are the advantages of full vs. half? Does it extend the life or durability of the jacket?

jbernard: How long have you had your BL suits and how often would you say you wear them? As a recent grad, my wardrobe consists of mostly crappy JAB suits and I would like to replace them with BL. I'm hoping they will hold up over time. Do you know if anyone has any posts on their wear-and-tear?

Like I said I have 3 suits. 1 is full canvas and I think it is well worth the extra money. But the half-canvas is very nice as well. I have had my oldest black lapel suit for 4 months. I wear it once a week or once every week an a half. My other 2 are a little newer but I wear them just as often and they all look brand new. People still ask me if I got a new suit.
post #32 of 149

Their site's really stylish and easy to navigate. Plus they also offer "free remakes" and "full refunds".

post #33 of 149
Thread Starter 

Since the time of this post, I've used BlackLapel to order suits for my groomsmen and got one myself, for 7 suits in total. I recently completed the process to the point where I'm happy as I can be with the suit, having to go through a remake (a few of my friends also had remakes, others needed just alterations, a couple needed both).

 

The quality of their suits is very good. Compared to other suits of similar price, it's hard not to think that BlackLapel has the best value, especially when you consider the fit should be near-perfect (depending on how picky you are about the fit), the half-canvassing, and the overall customer service. Based on their customer service alone, they're a better option than Indochino in my opinion.

 

I'll try to get a review out soon.

post #34 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsylentStorm View Post

 

I recently completed the process to the point where I'm happy as I can be with the suit, having to go through a remake (a few of my friends also had remakes, others needed just alterations, a couple needed both).

 

 

...Compared to other suits of similar price, it's hard not to think that BlackLapel has the best value, especially when you consider the fit should be near-perfect (depending on how picky you are about the fit), the half-canvassing, and the overall customer service. 

 

Can you comment on why the suits needed to be remade? I may be misreading your post, but on the one hand you spoke of remaking suits, and on the other you said the fit should be near-perfect.

post #35 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm003 View Post

 

Can you comment on why the suits needed to be remade? I may be misreading your post, but on the one hand you spoke of remaking suits, and on the other you said the fit should be near-perfect.

 

To clarify, the fit is near-perfect now after I had it remade. As for why it needed to be remade, The sleeve length was an issue - which normally could have been altered - but because I got surgeon cuffs the tailor couldn't do it. Additionally, I felt the shoulders were a tad large, and I preferred to have them remade instead of having the tailor redo it. He said he could have, but it would have cost a lot and having it remade seemed to be the simpler option. Outside of those two issues, everything fit just right. I ended up asking for a remake, which BlackLapel agreed, and the jacket felt great when I received the remake.

post #36 of 149

I'm really liking their solid navy blue blazer as a casual piece to go with jeans or slacks.  It looks like and sounds like from this thread that I would be hard pressed to get a similar quality piece for the same price, correct? 

post #37 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

I'm really liking their solid navy blue blazer as a casual piece to go with jeans or slacks.  It looks like and sounds like from this thread that I would be hard pressed to get a similar quality piece for the same price, correct? 

 

Yeah, you would have a tough time finding anything better for the price.

post #38 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernard View Post

Yeah, you would have a tough time finding anything better for the price.

+1
post #39 of 149
Hello,
Im new here and have been researching getting a suit made. Ive really been interested in BL lately, but Im unsure about the fit I should get. I want to get a sleeker/ more modern fit and am unsure if I should go for BL's slim fit or tailored fit. I lift weights and workout so I have an muscular build, not lanky (Not overweight either). I want to go with the slim fit, but dont want to end up looking silly in it.

What is your advice? I also see that BL offers different size lapels, could I mix and match to get the slim look without looking disproportionate (i.e. regular size lapel on a slim fit jacket or slim lapels on a tailored fit jacket)?

I am probably over thinking it, but I just want the suit to come out looking great and something I enjoywearing.

Thanks for your help!
post #40 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colins04 View Post

Hello,
Im new here and have been researching getting a suit made. Ive really been interested in BL lately, but Im unsure about the fit I should get. I want to get a sleeker/ more modern fit and am unsure if I should go for BL's slim fit or tailored fit. I lift weights and workout so I have an muscular build, not lanky (Not overweight either). I want to go with the slim fit, but dont want to end up looking silly in it.
What is your advice? I also see that BL offers different size lapels, could I mix and match to get the slim look without looking disproportionate (i.e. regular size lapel on a slim fit jacket or slim lapels on a tailored fit jacket)?
I am probably over thinking it, but I just want the suit to come out looking great and something I enjoywearing.
Thanks for your help!

 

What's your proportions? I'm about 5'9" at 160-165 with broad(er) shoulders. I got the slim fit suit and it doesn't seem out of proportion, at least to me. As for the lapels, the lapel difference is 2.5" for skinny versus 2.75" for regular (3" if you have regular peak lapels), I believe. 

 

At the very least, contact BlackLapel via email and ask them what you think. I know you might think they're just trying to get a sale out of you, but they happen to have top notch customer service that are willing to help to make sure you're very happy with the fit.

post #41 of 149
I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs. i have a 42.5" chest and my shoulders are roughly 22.5"-23" across the back (im going to get more exact when I order). I am planning on contacting BL and asking what their thoughts are. I wanted to see what actual customers thought. I was also looking at thick as thieves, but I like the ability to have an alteration credit, especially since this is my first run at made to measure suits.

As for the lapels, it seems like the .25 inch difference between the slim lapel and regular isnt that big of a deal.

They sent me samples of the fabric so I can check out the colors in person, so Im just waiting for that.

Thanks again for the help!
post #42 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colins04 View Post

I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs. i have a 42.5" chest and my shoulders are roughly 22.5"-23" across the back (im going to get more exact when I order). I am planning on contacting BL and asking what their thoughts are. I wanted to see what actual customers thought. I was also looking at thick as thieves, but I like the ability to have an alteration credit, especially since this is my first run at made to measure suits.
As for the lapels, it seems like the .25 inch difference between the slim lapel and regular isnt that big of a deal.
They sent me samples of the fabric so I can check out the colors in person, so Im just waiting for that.
Thanks again for the help!

 

It really depends on what you want. If you want it close a slim fit is the way to go. Even if you are larger you can still get a slim fit. If you chest is anywhere from 3" or more larger than your waist, I would suggest the slim fit. I'm guessing you have pretty muscular shoulders being 5'11" and 22" shoulders, it will give you a sleek look but still allow people to see all the time you have spent in the gym. And if you don't like it, you could use your alteration credit to get it taken out .50" to 1" (Which is close too the difference between slim fit and tailored). .25" for the lapels may not seem like a lot, but people on here will give you a hard time for the slim and not a hard time for the regular even being .25" larger (I personally like the slim). You can however give them the exact measurement you want for the lapel. Just email the concierge before you order the suit. You could get 4.5" lapels if you really wanted. They are good like that. If they don't have an option you want on the website make sure you ask the concierge for it, I have had a few things on my shirts and suits added on at no extra charge that were not on the website.


Edited by jbernard - 8/16/12 at 2:33pm
post #43 of 149
Thanks for your help! I guess thats one thing I really like about BL, if I get it and am not satisfied with the fit, they will work with me to make sure I am happy. I am just going to wait for the fabric samples to come in before I pull the trigger. Thanks again!
post #44 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colins04 View Post

Thanks for your help! I guess thats one thing I really like about BL, if I get it and am not satisfied with the fit, they will work with me to make sure I am happy. I am just going to wait for the fabric samples to come in before I pull the trigger. Thanks again!


I'm in the same boat, waiting on my swatches before pulling the trigger on my first suit. Don't forget the coupon code (CUREBFD) to save 10% on your first order!

post #45 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernard View Post


Like I said I have 3 suits. 1 is full canvas and I think it is well worth the extra money. But the half-canvas is very nice as well. I have had my oldest black lapel suit for 4 months. I wear it once a week or once every week an a half. My other 2 are a little newer but I wear them just as often and they all look brand new. People still ask me if I got a new suit.

Do you happen to have one in solid Navy blue? I received swatches today (Charcoal herringbone, Solid light gray, and Navy blue) and I was curious how dark the Navy blue looks in person? It appears very dark, almost black, based on the swatch. Thanks for any insight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › BlackLapel.com - any experience with them?