The suit pants look flawed, but from that one picture, specifics are hard to say. More importantly, even accounting for the low-rise pants, the jacket is too short in the back. Therefore it is unwearable.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Clothes and Perception Last post on 2/24/15 at 1:08pm in Classic Menswear
- Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to support the Ronald McDonald... Last post on 4/2/15 at 3:45pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 5/14/15 at 3:36am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 4:23 pm in Classic Menswear
Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
Last edited: 5/7/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
BlackLapel.com - any experience with them? - Page 10
Styleforum Top Pickspost #137 of 1505/14/13 at 5:47amI figured i'd just add my suit here for critique instead of starting a new thread. I just got it yesterday and it's still a bit wrinkly. I feel like the shoulders are a touch big, the pants a bit tight and the shirt a bit tight in the stomach. The sleeves of the jacket might be a bit too long as well. I'm not much of a suit wearer so i don't really know what to look for. Sorry for the crappy camera pics. Oh the suit is 'tailored' fit. Any noticeable problems?
Edited by houkah - 5/14/13 at 6:21pmpost #138 of 1505/14/13 at 1:37pm
I've ordered a few suits from these guys.
For the price they are pretty good as long as you know exactly what you want with regards to fit.
Material is a bit "flimsy" which I think causes the double vents to flare out a bit but - again, for the price - I am satisfied.
My approach is a bit different though. I am buying them inexpensively as "fashion" suits (i.e. but pretty slim) so I'm not worried about holding on to these long term as "investment pieces" seeing as styles will change regardless.post #139 of 1506/15/13 at 12:01pmpost #140 of 1507/30/13 at 11:33pmpost #141 of 1507/31/13 at 9:02amQuote:
Looks a bit tight to me in the chest and where it buttons. Seems to be a bit of collar gap too. Agree completely on the fabric; a jacket like that really needs something like patch pockets or metal buttons to clearly identify it as a navy blazer.post #142 of 1507/31/13 at 10:24ampost #143 of 1508/22/13 at 5:40amHi all,
I posted my pictures and thoughts on my recent first purchase from Black Lapel in the tailor's thread. In short, I was impressed but it is not perfect. Please see the link below and provide any comments if you can.
Wadepost #144 of 15012/3/13 at 8:21pm
Echoing Wade ^
I recently received my first BlackLapel suit. Warning - when they say Slim Fit, they aren't kidding; I'm used to buying slim fit off the rack out of necessity, but theirs was super slim and actually ended up a little too tight. I can't give a proper review since this suit will likely require a remake, but I'm certainly pleased with the quality for the price. Fingers crossed the fitting works out so that I can buy a couple more.
I bought a shirt from them as well. It was also tight, but that doesn't bother me on a shirt. I'm happy with it and will probably buy a few more after minor alterations to my measurements.
Link to the tailor thread where I've posted pictures (fit recommendations welcome)post #145 of 1501/17/14 at 8:42pmpost #146 of 1502/19/14 at 8:45pmpost #147 of 1505/29/14 at 9:51pm
Sorry I don't have any other pictures but I am the guy to the left. I bought this from Black Lapel last year. The only problem I had was the pants were about an inch too short but they had room for me to lengthen it out an inch. I would totally buy more but unfortunately being in college I can't buy another at the moment lolpost #148 of 15010/15/14 at 4:21pmHello all,
I placed an order with BlackLapel for a Double Breasted Shawl Lapel Tuxedo just over a month ago, and it arrived at my door today.
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the fit, though there are some issues.
I provided BlackLapel with a shot of Tom Hanks in a Tom Ford DB Shawl at the Oscars a few years ago and asked them to replicate it to the best of their ability.
We had a number of emails going back and forth about measurements and other issues, but I think it's pretty close the first shot.
Here's an album, starting with the inspiration shot I sent to BlackLapel, followed by shots of the whole tuxedo, then just the pants.
I have zero complaints about the pants.
My issues with the jacket are:
Strange crease at the lapel at the top buttoning point
The jacket seems about an inch to an inch and a half too short.
General cut of jacket seems a bit boxy, could use a little more waist suppression, which could be achieved a lot more easily if the jacket was longer.
The buttoning point and thereby the gorge seems a bit high, especially in comparison to the shot of Hanks. This, too, would be easy to fix if the jacket were longer.
Lastly, the sleeves are a bit short. Half an inch maybe.
Would like some constructive criticism, I'm going to be emailing BlackLapel these images and would like to be as specific as possible about issues/things that would need to be changed. Given the amount of changes, I am assuming this would need to be a full remake. The shoulders and chest seem to fit great, which to me is generally the most difficult part.
Anyone have any comments/differences of opinion?post #149 of 15011/14/14 at 6:39am
I recently bought a blazer from Black Lapel, and I am very satisfied with both the quality and the sevice. I did not hit my measurements correctly right away, so the first blazer I got did not fit properly. When I contacted Black Lapel I got swift and very qualified help to mend the measurements, and I got a remake of the blazer with no extra cost. This time it was a perfect fit!
Their consierge sevice are swift and helpful, and the people working there have a very keen eye when it comes to questions of fit and style. I recommend Black Lapel to all who is looking foraffordable custom suits, blazers and shirts! I doubt you an get better quality and sevice anywere on the Internet.post #150 of 1505/20/15 at 11:57pm
So I got my suit from them! they definitely nailed the fitting. Couldn't be happier with it, considering i dont need alterations.Very pleased!!
i would however say, i am Not a fan of the fabric, has a slight shine and feels very light. I'd hoped for a slightly richer fabric and no shine.
That said I'll definitely order from them again, if i can find out which fabrics are a little better :)
i would say that reason i went with them initially over KS is that their customer service is excellent. I have been dealing with Hannah who has always been very prompt and thorough.
- BlackLapel.com - any experience with them?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread 8 seconds ago
- › BD TV =Khan vs Algieri Fight Live Online 33 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 1 minute ago
- › YES TV =Khan vs Algieri Live Fight Free 1 minute ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 1 minute ago
- › JOY TV =Amir Khan vs Chris Algeri Fight Live Stream 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › PLAY TV =Chris Algieri vs Amir Khan Live Stream Online 3 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling x Skoaktiebolaget "Glencoe" pre-order 4 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan