or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Brooks Brothers esf vs Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored fit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brooks Brothers esf vs Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored fit

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Couldn't find a good definitive answer on this. anyone have any experience as to which is the slimmer cut?

 

post #2 of 12
Not sure about the Brooks Brothers sizing, but I went by this chart when I bought my CT shirts:
http://www.ctshirts.com/Formal-shirts-sizing-guide?cnt=sizing-guides

Gives the measurements of the shirts. If someone has the same for the Brooks Brothers shirts, you're in business!

-James
post #3 of 12
CT fits slimmer from my experience. BB is quite boxy.
post #4 of 12

I was wondering the same.  I have some BB ESFs, but problem is they are a bit tight in the chest, but too wide in the waist.  More of a straight cut, but I need v-shaped.  Are CTs better in that regard?

post #5 of 12

Just measured my BB ESF, size 15/32.  

P2P - 20"

Waist (about 20 cm below pits) - 18.75"

 

Slightly narrower than CT's chart for the same size, in Tailored Fit. 

 

post #6 of 12
The Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit is Slimmer. For example, on a 16.5 inch neck

CT Tailored Fit - 45.7 at the chest and 42.9 at the waist.
BB ESF - 47.5 at the chest and 45 at the waist.

You can find more information here

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Formal-shirts-sizing-guide?cnt=sizing-guides

and here

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/content/Fullpages/sizechart.tem?popup=1
post #7 of 12

Bump. 

 

Still no conclusive answer? Going by the size charts BB seems slimmer but anecdotal evidence seems to suggest otherwise. Does anyone have a shirt in the same size from each brand that they can measure?

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trum01 View Post

Bump. 

 

Still no conclusive answer? Going by the size charts BB seems slimmer but anecdotal evidence seems to suggest otherwise. Does anyone have a shirt in the same size from each brand that they can measure?

Are we looking at the same chart? The Charles Tyrwhitt measurements are smaller than those of BB in the same neck size.

Based on first-hand experience trying these shirts on, the CT tailored is tighter-fitting than the BB ESF.

 

Even the CT slim fit measurements appear on-par or smaller than the BB ESF of the same neck size.

 

The sizing charts indicate that the measurement is taken at the armhole. I assume that mean at the bottom of the armhole? CT takes the waist measurement 20cm below the armhole (7.8") to BB 8", so very close to the same point.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Are we looking at the same chart? The Charles Tyrwhitt measurements are smaller than those of BB in the same neck size.

Based on first-hand experience trying these shirts on, the CT tailored is tighter-fitting than the BB ESF.

 

Even the CT slim fit measurements appear on-par or smaller than the BB ESF of the same neck size.

 

The sizing charts indicate that the measurement is taken at the armhole. I assume that mean at the bottom of the armhole? CT takes the waist measurement 20cm below the armhole (7.8") to BB 8", so very close to the same point.

 

Hm. Look at 14.5 for both.

 

CT chest is 40.2 and waist is 37.4.

BB chest is 39.5 and waist is 37.

 

Oddly enough, things change at neck size 15 (and after I think) -

 

CT chest is 41.3, waist is 38.6

BB chest is 41.5, waist is 39.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trum01 View Post

 

Hm. Look at 14.5 for both.

 

CT chest is 40.2 and waist is 37.4.

BB chest is 39.5 and waist is 37.

 

Oddly enough, things change at neck size 15 (and after I think) -

 

CT chest is 41.3, waist is 38.6

BB chest is 41.5, waist is 39.

Yeah, I was looking at 16.5, since that is my size. I didn't think the measurements would diverge as the sizes got smaller.

post #11 of 12
I own 14.5s from both BB ESF and CT Tailored.

The ESF definitely fits better and is slimmer. This coincides w/ trum01's comments
post #12 of 12

Measurements from a 15/32, after washing:

 

CT

- P2P - 19.5"

- Waist - 19"

 

BB ESF

- P2P - 19.75"

- Waist - 19"

 

*Waist measured 8" below pit

 

Also note that the ESF I measured is a patterned shirt.  Measurements I posted a couple of posts earlier were a solid.  Not sure why the slight difference, but the fabric seems to be a bit different as well.  The patterned shirts have a softer hand and seem to breathe better.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Brooks Brothers esf vs Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored fit