or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › What stuff ruins your vacation?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What stuff ruins your vacation? - Page 6

post #76 of 112
Bed bugs
post #77 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRyan View Post

Bed bugs

what hotels do you stay in??
post #78 of 112
stomach flu.
post #79 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

.
Every vacay has a fight. Even some road trips have a fight. The weekend before Christmas we did the Houston - SA - Dallas - Houston circuit and we fought upon arrival in every city.
our greatest hits are the "fight in the airport during a connection" and "we are lost in a strange city and are frustrated so let's have a fight"
post #80 of 112
actually, the first times my wife and I traveled together we had a couple of fights. she was used to being more in control, and I was used to not having to explain what I was doing, so she got really frustrated at being led around and told what to do, and I was confused at why she was asking me questions. but we have both learned. also, the one of the first trips we took, we went to Italy and a friend of hers gave us a huge gelato maker. so, here I am in my suit, with a tiny carry on suitcase, carrying this huge gelato maker everywhere under my arm. I wanted to throw it out, I wasn't going to pay to ship it home, and so I ended up carrying it everywhere.

but now we are much better at traveling together
post #81 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

what hotels do you stay in??
The Renaissance Resort in Orlando. I was actually there on business, got bitten by bed bugs first night and it basically put a damper on the whole trip.
post #82 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

we went to Italy and a friend of hers gave us a huge gelato maker.

this is an underrated annoyance during vacations. we made some friends in Peru and they ended up gifting the wife and I a huge alpaca blanket - that was bed comforter sized.

it was an extravagant and hugely generous gift, but it ended costing $150 to FedEx the blanket back to the states.
post #83 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

this is an underrated annoyance during vacations. we made some friends in Peru and they ended up gifting the wife and I a huge alpaca blanket - that was bed comforter sized.
it was an extravagant and hugely generous gift, but it ended costing $150 to FedEx the blanket back to the states.
Oh how I hate huge, impossible to pack, and costly to ship gifts. I've actually thrown or given away a lot of nice gifts that I couldn't pack or ship.
post #84 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

Oh how I hate huge, impossible to pack, and costly to ship gifts. I've actually thrown or given away a lot of nice gifts that I couldn't pack or ship.

Really? We've bought luggage for some gifts / purchases but it works out because we pack very lightly.
post #85 of 112
that's why I only accept gift in the form of giant Reese's peanut butter cups. when I get tired of carrying them I know exactly what to do
post #86 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Really? We've bought luggage for some gifts / purchases but it works out because we pack very lightly.
I bought luggage in Europe once to bring back gifts and items I'd purchased. That was back when I checked luggage, now I don't. It was also when there weren't weight limits or fees for checked luggage. Times have really changed.
post #87 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

we went to Italy and a friend of hers gave us a huge gelato maker. so, here I am in my suit, with a tiny carry on suitcase, carrying this huge gelato maker everywhere under my arm. I wanted to throw it out, I wasn't going to pay to ship it home, and so I ended up carrying it everywhere.
but now we are much better at traveling together
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

this is an underrated annoyance during vacations. we made some friends in Peru and they ended up gifting the wife and I a huge alpaca blanket - that was bed comforter sized.
it was an extravagant and hugely generous gift, but it ended costing $150 to FedEx the blanket back to the states.

oh shit this is so true. specially when I travel to and from the united states. I also hate it when people ask you to bring stuff. I have deliberately avoided landing in some cities in the past because some family member would ask me to send some stupid but heavy item to bring over to someone there. also hate it when some people find out I'm somewhere and they'd text or email me asking if I could bring home something.
post #88 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

oh shit this is so true. specially when I travel to and from the united states. I also hate it when people ask you to bring stuff. I have deliberately avoided landing in some cities in the past because some family member would ask me to send some stupid but heavy item to bring over to someone there. also hate it when some people find out I'm somewhere and they'd text or email me asking if I could bring home something.

Yeah I've had trips where I literally had my duffle then a check-in bag filled with stuff for other people.
post #89 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

actually, the first times my wife and I traveled together we had a couple of fights. she was used to being more in control, and I was used to not having to explain what I was doing, so she got really frustrated at being led around and told what to do, and I was confused at why she was asking me questions. but we have both learned. also, the one of the first trips we took, we went to Italy and a friend of hers gave us a huge gelato maker. so, here I am in my suit, with a tiny carry on suitcase, carrying this huge gelato maker everywhere under my arm. I wanted to throw it out, I wasn't going to pay to ship it home, and so I ended up carrying it everywhere.
but now we are much better at traveling together

How's the gelato? Worth luggin' the maker around?
post #90 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Yeah I've had trips where I literally had my duffle then a check-in bag filled with stuff for other people.

F*ck that! I had jackasses ask that I buy 'em enormous blankets and Oriental carpets. I made a rule of nothing larger than a refrigerator magnet, and that eliminated the requests... then my sister-in-law decided to start collecting 'em. Ya know, there are a lot places in this world w/o flippin' refrigerator magnets, Myanmar and Bhutan for example. Anyway, I found the motherload in Istanbul and bought two dozen. Since then every time my wife and I go on holiday we tell her we're going Istanbul... yet again. I have the next 19 years covered.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › What stuff ruins your vacation?