or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit or Tux to Prom?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit or Tux to Prom?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I know this question has been asked countless times, but I've never gotten a straight answer from someone whose opinion I respect. A friend who is a year younger than I wants to take me to her senior prom; this presents me with somewhat of a dilemma. I have a reasonably nice Hugo Boss black suit (the James Sharp to be specific), and a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues to go with it. I love the way I look in this combination, and I think that if I get a nice fitted white shirt and a regular black tie, I would look just fine for the event. On the other hand, I could go with renting, which would probably land me with a poorly fitting tux and some clunky patent leather oxfords. This would, however, be the more traditional outfit, and is what my friend wants me to do. Personally, I would rather wear the suit than have to go through the hassle of getting something that will fit poorly just to be "proper". What do you guys think?

post #2 of 16
When I had my prom a good few years ago, we are obliged to wear white ties only.

For you, depends the nature of the event and the poshness of the students, it sounds like you will be fine with your suit plus a bowtie, but I would suggest to break the rule and get a black necktie, I never like bowtie with black suit, looks a failure of attempted tux
post #3 of 16
You may look/feel better in your HB than you would in a rented tux. Entry level rental tuxes are such POS and usually are illfitting.

If I was in hs, I would have just purchased a tux instead of dropping $150 each time. You can get some really nice, lightly used tuxes from Brooks Brothers for under $300. Less if you opt for something "less modern".

At the end of the day, you want to you look/feel comfortable wearing.
post #4 of 16
Need pics of said friend to properly evaluate.....
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 

I can't give any pics, but she's tall, attractive, tan and blonde if that helps. 

post #6 of 16

Throw the suit on and have her take a look at you. Then take her with you to the tux rental place, try on the tux and have her look at you again. Ask her which one she'd rather you wear to the prom. Problem solved.

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyt123 View Post

Throw the suit on and have her take a look at you. Then take her with you to the tux rental place, try on the tux and have her look at you again. Ask her which one she'd rather you wear to the prom. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgrant View Post

I can't give any pics, but she's tall, attractive, tan and blonde if that helps. 


Mr. hyt123 had the benefit of responding to OP with the knowledge of prom date appearance. Given what I know now, disregard everything I said in a previous post and listen to hyt123.
post #8 of 16
Unless there is strong social reason to wear something else, wear the suit that you have, with a brightly patterned tie. Don't fall into the trap of a cheap rented evening dress or else a black straight or bow tie.
post #9 of 16

I would go with the "ask your date" suggestion.  If it's her prom, you would be wise to ask her for her opinion.  On the rented tux issue, I had a surprisingly good experience with Mens Wearhouse.  An old friend got married recently, and he asked the groomsmen to rent a tux he selected from Mens Wearhouse.  The fit was very good.  The pants were off, but they corrected it right away.  I had no regrets.

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I would go with the "ask your date" suggestion.  If it's her prom, you would be wise to ask her for her opinion.  On the rented tux issue, I had a surprisingly good experience with Mens Wearhouse.  An old friend got married recently, and he asked the groomsmen to rent a tux he selected from Mens Wearhouse.  The fit was very good.  The pants were off, but they corrected it right away.  I had no regrets.

Words of wisdom. If buying a tux on a limited budget is an option you want to look into, Jos.A. Bank has entry-level ones available as separates (so you can buy jacket and pants each in your size) for ~$200 on sale, and higher-level Signature tuxes for $300-$400 at times. Depending on your circumstances in life, a tuxedo of your own may serve you well at some point.

Have fun at the prom!
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 

I took the advice of some and ordered a modern fit Hugo Boss tuxedo. I am greatly satisfied my HB suit and I'm sure the tux will please me equally. Now that I've shelled out for the tux I don't want to have to spend a lot on patent leather shoes (I don't really like them anyway). So now the question is can I wear a pair of nicely polished Park Avenues instead of patent oxfords?

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgrant View Post

I took the advice of some and ordered a modern fit Hugo Boss tuxedo. I am greatly satisfied my HB suit and I'm sure the tux will please me equally. Now that I've shelled out for the tux I don't want to have to spend a lot on patent leather shoes (I don't really like them anyway). So now the question is can I wear a pair of nicely polished Park Avenues instead of patent oxfords?

Not ideal, but noone at a HS prom will know/care.
post #13 of 16

I think you made the right choice in going with the tuxedo.  I was in the same situation as you many years ago - wore a suit and regretted it.  I was the only guy there not wearing a tux...she said she didn't mind at all but I felt terribly awkward all night.

post #14 of 16
Suit, as you will get more use of it in the long run.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgrant View Post

I took the advice of some and ordered a modern fit Hugo Boss tuxedo. I am greatly satisfied my HB suit and I'm sure the tux will please me equally. Now that I've shelled out for the tux I don't want to have to spend a lot on patent leather shoes (I don't really like them anyway). So now the question is can I wear a pair of nicely polished Park Avenues instead of patent oxfords?

Captoe oxfords are a reasonable alternative to patent leather shoes (oxfords or slippers), i.e. they are the first choice if you don't wear patent leather. Just make sure they have the maximum shine. Have fun!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit or Tux to Prom?