or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Men's Neckwear: Why do you choose what you choose?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Men's Neckwear: Why do you choose what you choose?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone, 

 

I am thinking about starting a Men's Neckwear line and had a few questions for my fellow dressy peers. When purchasing a tie, what are the deciding factors in buying a tie? 

 

I have a little over 100 ties and find myself buying them for various reasons, but wanted to get an idea of what is important to others.

 

Along with price, I personally love design and color.

 

Thoughts?

post #2 of 21
whether they will be SF-approved or not

that is to say, if they've been endorsed by StyleForum iCelebrities
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 

Huh, I guess that makes sense. Who are these iCelebrities? I demand to speak to them now! biggrin.gif

 

I guess the good thing is that SF seems to be a really good spot to receive advice. I have been a lurker for a while and over the past year have seen many come to the rescue of noobs such as myself.

 

 

post #4 of 21
As with everything clothing-related, it's fabric, construction, fit, and price. Fit-wise, I look for ties that are 3.5" wide. I can maybe deviate .25" from this, especially on the downside, but any farther and it's a deal-breaker. Construction-wise, I like untipped ties with some nice hand-rolled edges.
post #5 of 21
I am a fan of 3.5 wide ties as well, mostly silk ties, favourite cheap place is Tie Rack, favourite expensive place Bulgari, both very easy to find in Hong Kong
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 

Thats interesting, I prefer 3-3.25 wide ties, though I have my fair share of 3.5. 

May I ask why you guys prefer the 3.5 wide tie?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

As with everything clothing-related, it's fabric, construction, fit, and price. Fit-wise, I look for ties that are 3.5" wide. I can maybe deviate .25" from this, especially on the downside, but any farther and it's a deal-breaker. Construction-wise, I like untipped ties with some nice hand-rolled edges.


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

I am a fan of 3.5 wide ties as well, mostly silk ties, favourite cheap place is Tie Rack, favourite expensive place Bulgari, both very easy to find in Hong Kong


 

Thats interesting, I prefer tie 3.25 wide ties, though I have my fair share of 3.5.

post #7 of 21

I am also a fan of ties that are 3.5 inches wide (I don't like really skinny ties).  Construction is important, as some ties make a better knot than others.   I prefer woven silk ties over prints.  Also, I don't like ties in materials other than silk (such as cashmere or wool).  I am generally not a fan of floral designs on ties, although on a rare occasion if the color and design work with a suit I might buy one. 

post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 

That is interesting, seeing as how I have my own fair share of 3.5 ties, I prefer the 3.25 ties but can definitely go down to 3.

 

Any reason why you dont prefer the skinnies? But then again 3.5 is just classic and timeless
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

As with everything clothing-related, it's fabric, construction, fit, and price. Fit-wise, I look for ties that are 3.5" wide. I can maybe deviate .25" from this, especially on the downside, but any farther and it's a deal-breaker. Construction-wise, I like untipped ties with some nice hand-rolled edges.


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

I am a fan of 3.5 wide ties as well, mostly silk ties, favourite cheap place is Tie Rack, favourite expensive place Bulgari, both very easy to find in Hong Kong


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I am also a fan of ties that are 3.5 inches wide (I don't like really skinny ties).  Construction is important, as some ties make a better knot than others.   I prefer woven silk ties over prints.  Also, I don't like ties in materials other than silk (such as cashmere or wool).  I am generally not a fan of floral designs on ties, although on a rare occasion if the color and design work with a suit I might buy one. 



 

post #9 of 21
Having a small number of ties, I look for versatility. That may change if I wear ties to work but for now, I have about 10 ties that need to cover all situations. So solids and simple patterns. 3.25" is my preferred width since it can work with skinnier and wider lapels. I love textured ties like wool or grenadine.
post #10 of 21
Having a decently large amount of ties, I look for ties that I like. Really, just color and pattern that I like. I'm willing to compromise width and supposed quality (I have not noticed huge differences in tie quality above a certain minimal standard).
post #11 of 21
I'm wonder if I am alone here, but if I see a gorgeous tie but it's an inferior brand, I won't buy it. I have faith in certain names and I stick to those.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterxgatherer View Post

Who are these iCelebrities? I demand to speak to them now! biggrin.gif

Me too! Where are these bastards?
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 

I have never been one to nitpick because of brand, but I do agree with quality. What do you consider as inferior?  Usually good branding and good quality go hand in hand, but sometimes, thats not the case.

post #14 of 21
Nothing narrower than 3.75 in (9.525 cm)
Must be an overall pattern/ stripe or solid.
post #15 of 21
I tend to prefer ties with tails that are a little wider, allowing for a somewhat elongated knot on the FIH (or double FIH, depending on the silk's thickness). Other than that, malleability is quite important for achieving a successful dimple. For width, I tend to stick to 3.25" - 3.5", but will stray if there is a particular pattern or color that I like.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Men's Neckwear: Why do you choose what you choose?