or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad? - Page 9

Poll Results: Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?

 
  • 10% (12)
    Sopranos
  • 50% (56)
    The Wire
  • 9% (11)
    Mad Men
  • 29% (33)
    Breaking Bad
112 Total Votes  
post #121 of 194
What I always hated about shows like Law & Order is the lack of any overarching story narrative and character development as seasons progressed. Any given episode fells random and uneventful to the world they created.
post #122 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

What I always hated about shows like Law & Order is the lack of any overarching story narrative and character development as seasons progressed. Any given episode fells random and uneventful to the world they created.

i find that in most broadcast shows. its almost always, problem, almost solution, "twist", actual resolution. especially in L&O where there seems to be a lot of turnover with the actors. never any real long term story lines and character development except for the really bad guy that returns a few times so they can make a "shocking" season finale.
post #123 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i find that in most broadcast shows. its almost always, problem, almost solution, "twist", actual resolution. especially in L&O where there seems to be a lot of turnover with the actors. never any real long term story lines and character development except for the really bad guy that returns a few times so they can make a "shocking" season finale.

Networks love shows without continuity because they play better in syndication. The viewer doesn't need to have a clue about the show, or its characters, to enjoy any random episode they stumble on. That's in contrast to shows like LOST and Braking Bad, were you would likely have no idea whats going on unless you had been following it since the beginning.
post #124 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

Networks suck donkey dick

FTFY
post #125 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

What I always hated about shows like Law & Order is the lack of any overarching story narrative and character development as seasons progressed. Any given episode fells random and uneventful to the world they created.

That's why the show is awesome actually and making a fortune in syndication. You can watch any episode and feel right at home.
post #126 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

Networks love shows without continuity because they play better in syndication. The viewer doesn't need to have a clue about the show, or its characters, to enjoy any random episode they stumble on. That's in contrast to shows like LOST and Braking Bad, were you would likely have no idea whats going on unless you had been following it since the beginning.

In my opinion this was, in large part, the main reason Arrested Development was canned. It couldn't draw because most people didn't start watching it from Episode 1, tuned in, didn't get the inside jokes and continuous storylines, and tuned off dissatisfied.
post #127 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post

very callipygian Colombiana

go ONNNNNNNN
post #128 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

In my opinion this was, in large part, the main reason Arrested Development was canned. It couldn't draw because most people didn't start watching it from Episode 1, tuned in, didn't get the inside jokes and continuous storylines, and tuned off dissatisfied.

thats another show i really want to watch, but havent got around to yet.
post #129 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

In my opinion this was, in large part, the main reason Arrested Development was canned. It couldn't draw because most people didn't start watching it from Episode 1, tuned in, didn't get the inside jokes and continuous storylines, and tuned off dissatisfied.

Try Firefly, which they didn't even air them in the correct order. Pilot episode was shown later on.
post #130 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

That's why the show is awesome actually and making a fortune in syndication. You can watch any episode and feel right at home.

It bores me. I like a little "soap opera" feel to my shows. Want to see story-lines and character progress.
post #131 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

It bores me. I like a little "soap opera" feel to my shows. Want to see story-lines and character progress.

+1 besides the soap opera part, i wouldnt put it that way.
post #132 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

+1 besides the soap opera part, i wouldnt put it that way.

Well, it works in the sense that if you miss an episode, you may miss something crucial to the overall story arc of a season.
post #133 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

Try Firefly, which they didn't even air them in the correct order. Pilot episode was shown later on.

Is it bad that I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes and never finished? shog[1].gif

Take away my nerd credentials.
post #134 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

Well, it works in the sense that if you miss an episode, you may miss something crucial to the overall story arc of a season.

thats how i would put it. i like a show that forces you to keep up, and keeps you desiring more at the end of every episode. not that pandering crap where they feel that every episode must end with everything in a nice pretty bow.
post #135 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

Is it bad that I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes and never finished? shog[1].gif
Take away my nerd credentials.

you will always have your nerd cred, dont worry bout that slash.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?