or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 4156

post #62326 of 67009
Yeah, there's a big gap between the "If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life!" nonsense and "it should be miserable." I sure as hell wouldn't do my job for free, but I find it deeply satisfying and it adds something to my life other than a paycheck. Some days I sure don't want to go in, which is why it's a "job", but I don't think I could do something I actually hated for 40 years.
post #62327 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

ffffuuuu.gif  At least I get half a day from work. 

I like that it takes 4-6 weeks to even get your $5 per day. What a joke. I blame Conne for this type of governmental shennanigans. 

In most PA county prisons if you work a "full-time" job in the kitchens or janitorial services you can earn up to $10 a day.
post #62328 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Yeah, there's a big gap between the "If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life!" nonsense and "it should be miserable." I sure as hell wouldn't do my job for free, but I find it deeply satisfying and it adds something to my life other than a paycheck. Some days I sure don't want to go in, which is why it's a "job", but I don't think I could do something I actually hated for 40 years.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I love what I do for a living. I work really long hours, to where people who know me call me a workaholic, but it really doesn't feel like work, in the bad sense of the term. Every morning I wake up looking forward to the work I'll do that day. If I ever retire, I'll probably keep doing the same sorts of things I'm doing now.
post #62329 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Maybe I am just lucky, but I love what I do for a living. I work really long hours, to where people who know me call me a workaholic, but it really doesn't feel like work, in the bad sense of the term. Every morning I wake up looking forward to the work I'll do that day. If I ever retire, I'll probably keep doing the same sorts of things I'm doing now.

Yes, it must be exhausting seducing hot coeds by promising them better grades.
post #62330 of 67009
Okay, just after I made a post about loving work I am going to engage in a little bit of begrumblement. Unlike some of my colleagues, I am conscientious and competent in getting things done, which means I often get nominated to fill important administrative positions. I know this has been a feature of human cooperation since forever, but it's frustrating to see how incompetent people are "rewarded" by never being asked to do important work and competent people end up having to do more than their share.
post #62331 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Yes, it must be exhausting seducing hot coeds by promising them better grades.

Aww man I ain't do that hehehe!
post #62332 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Okay, just after I made a post about loving work I am going to engage in a little bit of begrumblement. Unlike some of my colleagues, I am conscientious and competent in getting things done, which means I often get nominated to fill important administrative positions. I know this has been a feature of human cooperation since forever, but it's frustrating to see how incompetent people are "rewarded" by never being asked to do important work and competent people end up having to do more than their share.

From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.
post #62333 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Aww man I ain't do that hehehe!

Technically correct. No need to seduce when the girls readily throw themselves at him.
post #62334 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Maybe I am just lucky, but I love what I do for a living. I work really long hours, to where people who know me call me a workaholic, but it really doesn't feel like work, in the bad sense of the term. Every morning I wake up looking forward to the work I'll do that day. If I ever retire, I'll probably keep doing the same sorts of things I'm doing now.

I understand that happens for some people. The problem a lot of Millenials are having right now is that they think the default work condition should be "love what you do each and every day." It's a rude awakening when you find out that "doing what you love" doesn't pay the bills, and what does pay the bills kinda sucks some of the kind. Relatively few of us are interested in, and good enough at, the kind of things that allow you to get jobs that are deeply enjoyable on a regular basis. People are giving up on good solid careers because they still "feel like work", and that's probably not realistic for most of them.
post #62335 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscotti View Post

Fuck that. Your job should be enjoyable or at the very least tolerable. I don't do things I don't want to--seems to have served me well so far.

Yes, your posting history really conveys how you have followed your joy and had nothing but great success. wink.gif
post #62336 of 67009
How much does a Style Forum mod get paid? PM me if the amount is too much to be revealed here
post #62337 of 67009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I understand that happens for some people. The problem a lot of Millenials are having right now is that they think the default work condition should be "love what you do each and every day." It's a rude awakening when you find out that "doing what you love" doesn't pay the bills, and what does pay the bills kinda sucks some of the kind. Relatively few of us are interested in, and good enough at, the kind of things that allow you to get jobs that are deeply enjoyable on a regular basis. People are giving up on good solid careers because they still "feel like work", and that's probably not realistic for most of them.

I like my job, but I wouldn't do it for free. I mean in general people think their jobs are the means to an end, I view it is a tool to get me what I want. Basically a source of funding for things that I enjoy.
post #62338 of 67009
I think I said this before on one of these threads, but I always believe in keeping a return-on-bullshit target in your life. If the returns are lower than your bullshit tolerance, them it's time to bounce.

I can honestly say that I liked my job when I took it. And then I really loved it as I got more responsibility and empowerment. And now, I kind of hate it (mainly because of the new people around me and the direction of leadership) but they pay more than enough to make me want to stick around.

However, there is enough bullshit for me to start thinking about my exit strategy !
post #62339 of 67009
I watched Don Jon (that movie about a New Jersey lothario who's also addicted to porn) with my wife on Netflix. The movie was good, but the Suggestions to watch next from Netflix were this:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
LONGHORNS - Curious about the gay fantasies he's been having, a Texas frat boy sets his sights on hooking up with an openly gay man on campus.

and

BEAR CITY - As he comes to grips with his attraction to big, hair men, cute cub Tyler struggles to figure out this place within the tight-knit bear community.

ffffuuuu.gifuhoh.giflol8[1].gif
post #62340 of 67009
So stressed...the reality that soon I will no longer make money and have to pay to live in NYC are finally settling in! Schedule is finished up, and I am going to be on campus only two days each week (granted 12 hour days)... I know that I can work part-time while doing this program--I just need to find a firm to work at. I need to start making calls...so stressed. I need to find a place to live. Fuck the free place to live, I want my freedom, and I want to establish residency (and I want a place to fuck).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.