or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 4127

post #61891 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Also, produce boxes are the best, particularily ones like this: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Agreed.  I love these.  Though, at the moment, we have a set of communal family 2 cube and 4 cube boxes that are stored flat in my parents' garage, available t anyone needing them.  I think they've been used in four moves now, for three different people/families.

post #61892 of 66992
otc is the type of guy you want around when there's a zombie apocalypse.
post #61893 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

When I helped my then girlfriend, now wife, move from one apartment to another (so two moves ago) she had to work that day, and I said, no big deal, get everything packed, I'll rent the truck, and move the boxes. A friend of mine who happened to be visiting from out of town over that span even agreed to help.  I was assured it was 90% ready to go in the truck, just a few things to toss into a couple of last minute random stuff boxes.  Sounded good.  I got there, and maybe 15% of things were packed in boxes, and there were not more boxes to put things in.  She had said "i'm going to go buy boxes at U-Haul," to which I replied, "before you spend money, go see if you can get some for free at the grocery store, and liquor store."  I though it was obvious that this implied "if they won't give you any/enough, then go buy what you need" was obvious.  I was wrong.  So, I then had to go get boxes, and frantically pack things, so as to get them onto to the truck in time to move them to the new building, unload them, and return the truck before U-Haul closed.  This culminated in, literally, unloading the boxes into a pile in the parking lot at the new building so that the truck was empty and could be returned in time.  We've been together five years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been angry enough to want to yell; this was one of them.  Don't even get me started on the storage locker.


Typical. But it all worked out and she was your GF and now wife.
To me...friends are different.

Buy me breakfast and some lunch and something after. You got cheap labor for 1 full day for as long as you want!
post #61894 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

otc is the type of guy you want around when there's a zombie apocalypse.

To feed to the zombies while you make your escape?
post #61895 of 66992
They do break down flat if you cut the tape on the top and bottom....although some are stapled and obviously don't break down.

Unfortunately, I think they have become hard to find. Seems like most grocery stores crush/flatten and bind their boxes immediately (and few grocers still display produce in their delivery boxes)...so when you go and ask, they have nothing.
post #61896 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

I had the luxury of moving from the brooklyn apartment to CT house when my wife was working overseas for two weeks. I hired movers to do everything and invited my friend down so we could just hang out, chill, and do a road trip with the time I saved using movers. It was glorious!

I'm pissed off because a dear friend's mother just died and she was totally quiet about it. apparently she took almost 5 months off from work to take care of her ailing mother and didn't ask/accept any help from friends or family (financially) and now everyone/friends are scrambling to help out. The worst part is there has been some finger pointing to why friends didn't help out sooner facepalm.gif and its getting ugly publicly on Facebook.


That is the other way that it can be done.
post #61897 of 66992
Re: women and moving, you guys just don't know the right women. My wife is super organized with moving and has everything boxed, shockproofed, categorized and packed to make for easy unpacking. My assistant is the same way, when we do office moves

Or maybe I just surround myself with highly organized women...? (IBcomments that those are unicorns)
post #61898 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post


Typical. But it all worked out and she was your GF and now wife.
To me...friends are different.

Buy me breakfast and some lunch and something after. You got cheap labor for 1 full day for as long as you want!

 

Yes - friends must be fed, and watered.  I was treated to a lovely lamb dinner last time I helped a friend move.  The custom of what constitutes appropriate compensation varies by the age of those involved (younger people providing cheaper things than more established people, in general).  It reaches a point where hiring movers just makes more sense.  I haven't yet reached that point, myself.  I would also recommend providing the bulk of any alcohol-based compensation after your breakables are safely in your new home.

post #61899 of 66992
Hiring movers isn't even that expensive
post #61900 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

To feed to the zombies while you make your escape?

Ruthless pragmatism.
post #61901 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Re: women and moving, you guys just don't know the right women. My wife is super organized with moving and has everything boxed, shockproofed, categorized and packed to make for easy unpacking. My assistant is the same way, when we do office moves

Or maybe I just surround myself with highly organized women...? (IBcomments that those are unicorns)

 

This is how my mother is with moving.  When we moved from Ontario to BC abut 20 years ago, everything was not only labelled with its contents, and to which room it was going, with a computer printed Avery label, which was fancy for that day and age, but also colour coded with a round sticker.  Each room had a colour, and, this is the best part, helium balloons of that colour taped to the wall beside its door.  It turns out to have been too well organized, since the movers decided to give up on it, and just put things wherever - though they also scratched, broke, and lost things, so maybe they just sucked.  For the next move, there were no balloons, and their destinations were only labelled as downstairs, upstairs, or garage.  As I recall, this met with more success.

post #61902 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

Yes - friends must be fed, and watered.  I was treated to a lovely lamb dinner last time I helped a friend move.  The custom of what constitutes appropriate compensation varies by the age of those involved (younger people providing cheaper things than more established people, in general).  It reaches a point where hiring movers just makes more sense.  I haven't yet reached that point, myself.  I would also recommend providing the bulk of any alcohol-based compensation after your breakables are safely in your new home.

Tru dat!

When my friends helped me the last time, we really started boozing after we got everything upstairs. I had about 90% of the things ready to go so it really worked out.
post #61903 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

apartment hunting is the worst
Yes. Unfortunately I'm going to have to do it soon in a couple of months. Just hate it. smile.gif
post #61904 of 66992
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Hiring movers isn't even that expensive

Best money I've ever spent. Turns a godawful/ stressful time into something exciting!
post #61905 of 66992
I love all the idiots on Craigslist who make a point to say that they will leave an ad up until the item is gone and to " please not contact them asking if it's still available," then completely fail to take the ad down once it's sold.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.