or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 3861

post #57901 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Eh, I definitely wouldn't bother with the suspension, then. On an older car with high mileage, there's more driving ride quality than just the shocks/struts, and, (again) assuming there's no secondary issue from worn suspension parts, spending a ton of money on shocks/struts doesn't make a lot of sense.

Do the rotors need to be replaced or turned?

Most shops offer a package to replace pads and turn rotors, and it's not outrageous. Look at Pep Boys or something, and you should be able to get a ballpark on the price. A decent shop will be more, but the difference shouldn't be too substantial.

If you have to replace the rotors, rather than turn them, it'll cost significantly more.

WRT to doing the brakes yourself, it's usually one of the easiest repairs you can make. You don't need a lift; all you need is to get the wheels off the ground and the car stable (so jack stands).

That said, asking such a fundamental question doesn't bode well for your ability to do the job.

Also, if you had to Google the turn/replace question, you're probably better off just paying someone to do it.

shog[1].gif Yeah I need to just take it in. I don't know if I need the rotors turned or new ones; guess I should rely on the mechanics to tell me that.
post #57902 of 65169
I've been getting terrible to no sleep for the past few weeks. My normal routine is to go to bed a little early, browse the web for a while, then shut off laptop and read a book until my eyes get tired. Normaly I'd be passed out around 1am (maybe midnight if particularly tired). Now, Im getting an hour or two. Oddly I barely even notice during the day
post #57903 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

It's not a smooth ride by any means, but it isn't bad. I'd like to try to get another 10k miles or so.
post #57904 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

The T-Mobile change is supposed to be done by the middle of 2014, but they're saying it will be Q4 before T-Mobile markets any phones that can take advantage of it.

I do have to applaud t mobiles efforts to shake up the wireless industry. I read briefly somewhere online that the margins on data / texting / voice are in the 90%+ range for carriers... Craziness.

T mobile also silently upgraded their spectrum to 20x20 MHz in Dallas just over thanksgiving, which nets me 30+ Mbps download on a good day.

I also heard they're trying to upgrade their spectrum to 40x40 MHz, which is just unheard of, in NYC as its first market, which should DRAMATICALLY boost speeds.

I don't think we'll see that until 2015, unfortunately.
post #57905 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

That's because O'hare is a cluster fuck right now due to the weather.

Speaking of Philly, you guys have a nice airport. I lold at the random rocking chairs, but there are lots of shopping spots.

You guys also love pretzels. Like, a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

The T-Mobile change is supposed to be done by the middle of 2014, but they're saying it will be Q4 before T-Mobile markets any phones that can take advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

LTE was awesome in New York the first week the iPhone 5 came out. Then after everybody bought LTE phones it is just as bad as 3G.

Probably moving to TMobile this week when our contracts are up. Anyone have experience with them in New York specifically?
post #57906 of 65169
I'm on T-Mobile's $50 a month plan. Coverage isn't perfect (I don't know about NYC coverage) but the price is right.

There are some boutique carriers like Republic and Ting I may sign up with later this year. Very low-cost ($30-40 i think) plans.
post #57907 of 65169
had to get gas for my car during lunch and now I can't warm up even with my heat cranked up in my office. fuck this polar vortex bullshit
post #57908 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post



Probably moving to TMobile this week when our contracts are up. Anyone have experience with them in New York specifically?

I don't have first hand experience with it in NYC, but I will next week as we're interviewing several CCOs at investment banks throughout the week. I'll let you know.

I also vaguely recall reading online that NYC is t mobile's priority, hence the upgrade to 40x40 MHz going to them, first.

You really can't argue with their pricing. 70 bucks for unlimited everything is amazing, considering I was paying 90 bucks for 2 gigs on att. Such bullshit. But at least their coverage and reception has always been very solid.
post #57909 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I don't have first hand experience with it in NYC, but I will next week as we're interviewing several CCOs at investment banks throughout the week. I'll let you know.

I also vaguely recall reading online that NYC is t mobile's priority, hence the upgrade to 40x40 MHz going to them, first.

You really can't argue with their pricing. 70 bucks for unlimited everything is amazing, considering I was paying 90 bucks for 2 gigs on att. Such bullshit. But at least their coverage and reception has always been very solid.

Honestly, the fact that they clearly separate the phone subsidy from the monthly plan makes me really want to go to them. Clarity and honesty of pricing in mobile is such a rarity that I want to reward it by choosing them. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot by doing it.

Your ATT or Tmobile coverage has always been solid? I had ATT in New York a couple of years ago, and it was atrocious.
post #57910 of 65169
Funny, maybe I'm unique, but I think I'm going to come out on the losing end with their pricing changes.

From their perspective it's nice, and it's probably a good thing for wireless customers generally. However, it kind of sucks for people like me who have been with T-Mobile for a long time. I used to get all sorts of incentives to stay with them. With the new scheme, I'm betting I don't come out ahead despite my loyalty. The big way they took care of me was giving me the most popular phones for nothing (or next to nothing). Now that they've done away with contracts and phone subsidies, they don't have much in the way of incentives to get me to hang around. I know I don't have to have a contract and all that, but I never minded it that much since I saved so much on phones between the loyalty stuff and subsidies.

I do save a good bit because their monthly plan is so low, but I'm betting it doesn't net out in my favor since I can't negotiate the price of the phone anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post



Probably moving to TMobile this week when our contracts are up. Anyone have experience with them in New York specifically?

Not long term. Mine has worked fine every time I visit, but I've never lived up there. I will say that with T-Mobile anywhere, be prepared to have some signal issues in the interior of buildings and in rural areas. The new bands they're acquiring will help with that, but it's still going to be an issue for a while.
post #57911 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Not long term. Mine has worked fine every time I visit, but I've never lived up there. I will say that with T-Mobile anywhere, be prepared to have some signal issues in the interior of buildings and in rural areas. The new bands they're acquiring will help with that, but it's still going to be an issue for a while.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. Inside buildings sucks, but I rarely get good service inside most midtown buildings on either Verizon or Sprint anyways--seems like all the buildings were built as giant Farraday cages. As for rural... That does suck, but I spend 99% of my time in New York and Atlanta, and so don't feel like I should make my decision based on rural areas.

Presuming additional bands require new phone hardware, no? I.e. them simply building out those bands wouldn't help me automatically, I'd also have to have a new phone to take advantage of it.
post #57912 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Honestly, the fact that they clearly separate the phone subsidy from the monthly plan makes me really want to go to them. Clarity and honesty of pricing in mobile is such a rarity that I want to reward it by choosing them. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot by doing it.

Your ATT or Tmobile coverage has always been solid? I had ATT in New York a couple of years ago, and it was atrocious.

My att coverage has always been very solid. I only just moved to t mobile a couple days ago.

Even in NYC I got satisfactory reception and coverage. The only times I had trouble were in specific hotels, but while I was out and about, I always had at least 2-3 bars of lte.

T mobile absolutely sucks indoors, but once you step outside, lte is blazing fast.
post #57913 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Yeah, that's what I've heard. Inside buildings sucks, but I rarely get good service inside most midtown buildings on either Verizon or Sprint anyways--seems like all the buildings were built as giant Farraday cages.

Presuming additional bands require new phone hardware, no? I.e. them simply building out those bands wouldn't help me automatically, I'd also have to have a new phone to take advantage of it.

I've always wondered about the whole "T-Mobile doesn't get good service in buildings thing," since I don't know anyone who gets good service in a big building. GF is right in that it sucks in buildings, but it's fantastic outside in populated areas.

I will say that the only time it's truly inconvenient is when I'm out in rural areas. My phone always drops service before everyone else's. It hasn't been a big enough problem to make me change (though my contract is up very soon, so we'll see), but, as someone who likes to get outdoors and away from civilization, it's definitely something that bothers me. I seem to recall you being the outdoorsy sort, too, so keep it in mind.

I believe that's correct. I'm not by any stretch an expert on the topic, but I've kept an eye on it since it affects me. My understanding is that the infrastructure will be in place by the middle of the year, but T-Mobile won't offer any phones that can take advantage of it until Q4.
post #57914 of 65169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Funny, maybe I'm unique, but I think I'm going to come out on the losing end with their pricing changes.

From their perspective it's nice, and it's probably a good thing for wireless customers generally. However, it kind of sucks for people like me who have been with T-Mobile for a long time. I used to get all sorts of incentives to stay with them. With the new scheme, I'm betting I don't come out ahead despite my loyalty. The big way they took care of me was giving me the most popular phones for nothing (or next to nothing). Now that they've done away with contracts and phone subsidies, they don't have much in the way of incentives to get me to hang around. I know I don't have to have a contract and all that, but I never minded it that much since I saved so much on phones between the loyalty stuff and subsidies.

I do save a good bit because their monthly plan is so low, but I'm betting it doesn't net out in my favor since I can't negotiate the price of the phone anymore.
Not long term. Mine has worked fine every time I visit, but I've never lived up there. I will say that with T-Mobile anywhere, be prepared to have some signal issues in the interior of buildings and in rural areas. The new bands they're acquiring will help with that, but it's still going to be an issue for a while.

Yeah, I don't think you're going to get those special privileges anymore, now that they're rapidly expanding. Apparently t mobile is making a real dent on att and verizon because people are leaving in droves.
post #57915 of 65169
ATT sucks in buildings. Even in my apartment it sucks, and I live at the top floor (baller).

i only pay $30/month, so woah is me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.