or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 3548

post #53206 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

You just stole the position of "forum curmudgeon" from me.

 

You don't seem ill-tempered, just a bit of a schizoid.

post #53207 of 69241
Being in the supermarket (or whatever), absent-mindedly noticing a cute girl from behind, only to later to see her from the front and realize she's probably in high school. Being the father of an almost-teen girl makes this feel particularly uncomfortable . . .
post #53208 of 69241
Just PM'ed you Harvey's #.
post #53209 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

You just stole the position of "forum curmudgeon" from me.

I thought I've had that all wrapped up for years? confused.gif
post #53210 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Just PM'ed you Harvey's #.
Already on speed dial.
post #53211 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post

Thing is I am not an IT guy, I have a real job here to deal with. I didn't even own a computer until my second senior year in college. I just happen to "get" computers. To me most problems require no real computer knowledge, more like basic problem-solving skills that I feel highly educated people should have.

My problem is that I am dealing with intelligent people who are too lazy to wipe their own ass sometimes. Sure if your name is on the wall, you get an exception. But when you are the creepy guy that suddenly appears in your office and walks in on client meetings, pretending that the client isn't even there, I have no patience for your stupidity. To the 60 year old guy who demanded a mac (in an exclusive Windows Environment) so that he could feel like he is still relevant, but now complains that everything is laggy because he is running a VM of Windows, go die. I told you to get a Dell. Also, the corpse that works here, you are already dead, we are not getting rid of computers, so I have no patience for you. (Seriously, the man is like 80, looks like a skeleton and smells like embalming fluid. I am concerned he could be a zombie. It could be the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.)

If it makes you feel any better, desktop support doesn't actually get any better when it's your job. Unless you happen to work in a large employer, most the desktop support staff also do real, but not end-user-visible things -- maintain the company servers, develop the website/custom software you may need, etc etc. Try having a server rack open and someone calling down because they can't figure out how to send e-mail. Yes, this happened. No, she's not ancient. Yes, this person has used a computer for several years *with the exact same setup*.
post #53212 of 69241
knowing your way around computers, AV equipment, and having a large pick up truck are things you should keep close to the vest.
post #53213 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

knowing your way around computers, AV equipment, and having a large pick up truck are things you should keep close to the vest.

This. I learned that at least 15, maybe 20 years ago.
post #53214 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Being in the supermarket (or whatever), absent-mindedly noticing a cute girl from behind, only to later to see her from the front and realize she's probably in high school. Being the father of an almost-teen girl makes this feel particularly uncomfortable . . .
Silver lining: at least it wasn't a skinny long haired dude
post #53215 of 69241
Rented a car from Hertz LAX location in September. Noticed the Fastrak toll pass in the window and assumed i was good to go (every time I've rented in the past, all the toll fees have been taken care of by the car when it was equipped with toll pass stuff). Little did I know Fastrak only applies to Northern Californian bridges..... Was charged $30 from Hertz and $126 from Cali's Toll Road for 2 toll violations ($11.75 in tolls). Infuriating.
post #53216 of 69241
Experiencing the classic "widow/widower finds a special friend" clusterfuck in my family. My grandfather, who has been without my grandmother for well over a year now, has started seeing a woman who is a cousin of one of his best friends. He definitely went a little too fast at first, and she has asked him to slow it down, but I suspect you forget how to date after 45 years of marriage. His mood has improved over the past few months, largely as a result of his new "friendship." My father and I are both fine with this whole scenario...but my mother is a different story. She has loathed the idea from the start and several times has asked grandfather to not talk about his friend in front of her. It all came to a head this weekend, when my grandfather was with us at my parents' vacation home in the Adirondacks. Before he left yesterday, he asked my father if he could spend a weekend there with a few friends and his new girl. Dad said, "Sure, why not," and later in the day casually mentioned it to my mother. She went ballistic, said it was an insult to my grandmother's memory, how dare he bring a different woman there, etc.

I'm not sure she understands the corrosive power of loneliness. Gramps was getting progressively more depressed over this past year, until he met his friend. I don't think she gets that. It's his life to live, and I know that he was madly in love with my grandmother all those years. This situation is not disrespectful to her memory.

It's frustrating but not surprising considering my mother's demeanor.
post #53217 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

Experiencing the classic "widow/widower finds a special friend" clusterfuck in my family. My grandfather, who has been without my grandmother for well over a year now, has started seeing a woman who is a cousin of one of his best friends. He definitely went a little too fast at first, and she has asked him to slow it down, but I suspect you forget how to date after 45 years of marriage. His mood has improved over the past few months, largely as a result of his new "friendship." My father and I are both fine with this whole scenario...but my mother is a different story. She has loathed the idea from the start and several times has asked grandfather to not talk about his friend in front of her. It all came to a head this weekend, when my grandfather was with us at my parents' vacation home in the Adirondacks. Before he left yesterday, he asked my father if he could spend a weekend there with a few friends and his new girl. Dad said, "Sure, why not," and later in the day casually mentioned it to my mother. She went ballistic, said it was an insult to my grandmother's memory, how dare he bring a different woman there, etc.

I'm not sure she understands the corrosive power of loneliness. Gramps was getting progressively more depressed over this past year, until he met his friend. I don't think she gets that. It's his life to live, and I know that he was madly in love with my grandmother all those years. This situation is not disrespectful to her memory.

It's frustrating but not surprising considering my mother's demeanor.

Does she expect gramps not to remarry or that it's too soon?
post #53218 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

Does she expect gramps not to remarry or that it's too soon?

Oh she would never support that. The guy is only 66 or 67. This is also my dad's father, BTW.
post #53219 of 69241
Were you and your grandfather competing for the same silver fox and he won out? That's gotta be awkward.
post #53220 of 69241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post


I'm not sure she understands the corrosive power of loneliness.

I think that's exactly it. Some people have a very hard time comprehending loneliness if they themselves are not lonely. "Corrosive power" is just the right phrase for it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.