or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 3383

post #50731 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

I think the bigger reason is that outside of NY and SF and maybe Chicago, we don't walk anywhere. Hard to pickpocket someone while they are in their car. Thus, the "skillbase" doesn't exist here to nearly the extent that it does in Europe.

That's my hypothesis anyways.

Kids these days just aren't willing to put in the time to learn a craft. They just want to take the easy way out and watch more youtube videos. Why learn how to artfully remove valuables from a person when you could just rip that iphone out of their hands and take off running right as the train doors are closing.

Now get off my lawn.
post #50732 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

I think the bigger reason is that outside of NY and SF and maybe Chicago, we don't walk anywhere. Hard to pickpocket someone while they are in their car. Thus, the "skillbase" doesn't exist here to nearly the extent that it does in Europe.

That's my hypothesis anyways.

my mom had her rolex stolen during a trip to NYC in the late 70's. She tried to be "smart" and took of the watch and put it into her handbag (normal leather medium sized), but someone actually took a razor and cut the bottom of the bag. She was also carrying like $5,000 cash (for a succeeding Atlantic City Trip).

she always re-tells the story vividly because I was conceived on the Atlantic City part of the trip...
post #50733 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

my mom had her rolex stolen during a trip to NYC in the late 70's. She tried to be "smart" and took of the watch and put it into her handbag (normal leather medium sized), but someone actually took a razor and cut the bottom of the bag. She was also carrying like $5,000 cash (for a succeeding Atlantic City Trip).

she always re-tells the story vividly because I was conceived on the Atlantic City part of the trip...

Does she vividly recount the conception? uhoh.gif
post #50734 of 64538
I'm not sure I'd consider cutting the bottom out of a bag pickpocketing, though. There's nothing subtle about it. Might as well just snatch the thing and run.

Also, that was the 70s. I rarely hear of people being pickpocketed. Tons of people have their phones snatch-and-grabbed or get mugged, but not pickpocketed.
post #50735 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Does she vividly recount the conception? uhoh.gif

I was a mistake. she was in her early 40's and my parents assumed that she was barren by then (I'm 8 years younger than my older brother). she was also a radiologist that didn't know she was pregnant until almost 4 months in to her pregnancy (it was her co-workers begged her to take a pregnancy exam, she was offended they thought she was getting fat).
post #50736 of 64538
My grandfather went to the doctor last night with some tightness in his chest. They sent him to the hospital this morning and it turns out his widowmaker is 95% blocked. Another artery is largely blocked too. He's having open heart surgery tomorrow.

We were supposed to be doing a memorial for my grandmother tomorrow but now it looks like we'll be comforting gramps in the hopsital. Always seems to happen this way, doesn't it? ffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gif
post #50737 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

My grandfather went to the doctor last night with some tightness in his chest. They sent him to the hospital this morning and it turns out his widowmaker is 95% blocked. Another artery is largely blocked too. He's having open heart surgery tomorrow.

We were supposed to be doing a memorial for my grandmother tomorrow but now it looks like we'll be comforting gramps in the hopsital. Always seems to happen this way, doesn't it? ffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gif
Sorry to hear that, Conne. I hope everything goes well for your grandfather.
post #50738 of 64538
Best of luck to your Grandfather, Conne. Hope he pulls through with flying colours.
post #50739 of 64538
Scary stuff, Conne. I hope everything goes perfectly.
post #50740 of 64538
Have a speedy recovery Grandpa Conne
post #50741 of 64538
really sorry to hear that, conne. hope everything goes smoothly and that you guys get to make a proper ceremony for your gramma, sooner than later.
post #50742 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I couldn't get past the first sentence and its reference to "an pre-tax wage".
smile.gif

Ha yea herald isn't the best paper but it's pretty sad regardless
post #50743 of 64538
Thanks gang. Guess we're going to do the little memorial service in the morning and then will head to the hospital to see him before the surgery.
post #50744 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

I was a mistake. she was in her early 40's and my parents assumed that she was barren by then (I'm 8 years younger than my older brother). she was also a radiologist that didn't know she was pregnant until almost 4 months in to her pregnancy (it was her co-workers begged her to take a pregnancy exam, she was offended they thought she was getting fat).

I take it your mom didn't remember much from her gynecology rotation.
post #50745 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

My grandfather went to the doctor last night with some tightness in his chest. They sent him to the hospital this morning and it turns out his widowmaker is 95% blocked. Another artery is largely blocked too. He's having open heart surgery tomorrow.

We were supposed to be doing a memorial for my grandmother tomorrow but now it looks like we'll be comforting gramps in the hopsital. Always seems to happen this way, doesn't it? ffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gif

my best wishes to your grandfather, Mike. hope he pulls through and be strong enough to beat the crap out of you. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

I think the bigger reason is that outside of NY and SF and maybe Chicago, we don't walk anywhere. Hard to pickpocket someone while they are in their car. Thus, the "skillbase" doesn't exist here to nearly the extent that it does in Europe.

That's my hypothesis anyways.

this is why I bought my dad one of those fugly Pacsafe shoulder-hung manbags for his travels. at least they claim those ugly monstrosities are slash proof, plus they're ugly enough (looks like cheap Tumi rip-offs) to make any potential pickpocket go find someone with a nicer bag.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.