or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 3186

post #47776 of 69042
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

You know, he's actually been a very good student. He's smart, he's alert, and he's been helpful to other students. Today's behavior was really out of character for him.

Jack that bitch in the grape with a caf trey
post #47777 of 69042
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

You know, he's actually been a very good student. He's smart, he's alert, and he's been helpful to other students. Today's behavior was really out of character for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Strange event in a class I was teaching today. I was explaining the how two propositions can be logically equivalent. So, for example, ~(P or Q) is logically equivalent to ~P and ~Q according to the DeMorgan rule. This is very basic, elementary logic. But I had a student insist that ~(P or Q) is also equivalent to ~P or ~Q. I told him it wasn't, but he adopted a strangely condescending attitude toward me, explaining how it's just like math, where you distribute the negation. Even after I showed him by means of a truth table how they are not equivalent, he just kept saying "same thing, doesn't matter how you say it." (I also tried to explain that (~P and ~Q) is not equivalent to (~P or ~Q), which it would have to be if he were right. But he still wasn't buying it.)

I almost never have students take that kind of attitude toward me, mostly because I have a very authoritative demeanor int he classroom. And also because I really do know what the hell I'm talking about. HIs attitude pissed me off a little bit, to be honest.
In my job I often had to direct people performing technical / mechanical procedures . Every now and then someone would argue with such conviction that I would begin to doubt myself . When I check references I find out the guy is full of crap .Made me want to pull my freaking hair out
post #47778 of 69042
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

SF's fallback hoe.

kicked west's mom off the throne.
post #47779 of 69042
Black Sabbath have a new album SNAFU
post #47780 of 69042
So I usually get to work a little after 6:30. There is an office suite below us getting a big install. They do the heavy drilling before 7:30. Also, the HVAC doesn't kick on until about 7:30 and it is now getting to be that time of year where it is uncomfortable in the office when that is the case.

Also I bought this grill on Amazon, good deal etc. However, I realized why they are about $150 more at Lowe's etc. I will have to spend a half day this weekend putting it together.
post #47781 of 69042
How to deal with retarded flat mates? Supposed to be signing a lease on a flat right now and now 2 of the people i'm supposed to be living with have pulled out because they've decided it's too expensive. It's about a $1000 a week between 5 people in central london so pretty cheap. They've decided they want to live in zone 2 or 3 so like a 30 to 40 minute tube journey out of central. Why in the fuck would you want to be that far away from your university and fun stuff in london when you have to go there 6 days a week. We also have to be moved there in 9 days so it's not like we have much time. I blame it on the fact they're UCL students and therefore academically challenged.
post #47782 of 69042
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

What does the tilde mean? I am dumb like your student.

Same here. My first was impression while reading was, "Well why wouldn't you distribute ~ ?" I am sure with better context I would be able to insult the student as well. Please to educate.
post #47783 of 69042
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Same here. My first was impression while reading was, "Well why wouldn't you distribute ~ ?" I am sure with better context I would be able to insult the student as well. Please to educate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

You are not dumb like my student! There are actually different systems of logical notation. In the one I teach, the tilde is just the symbol for negation (i.e., "it is not the case that.") So ~(P or Q) means "It is not the case that either P or Q." (In other words, the proposition "P or Q" is being denied.) My student wanted to insist that that was exactly the same as saying "either not P or not Q." To make it intuitive, the ~(P or Q) could be "It is not the case that you will get either an iPhone or an iPad for Christmas." That is equivalent to saying "You will not get an iPhone for Christmas and you will not get an iPad for Christmas." My student wanted to insist it was the same as "You will not get an iPhone for Christmas OR you will not get an iPad for Christmas." This last construction leaves open the possibility that you will get one of them. The first construction does not leave open that possibility. And so they are not equivalent. QED.

Just to be clear, I'm not annoyed at the student for not understanding. I'm annoyed at the student because he was so condescending in assuring me that of course ~(P or Q) was logically equivalent to ~P or ~Q. What's worse, he said that he was going to go ahead and do it like he had been doing it, even after I told him it was wrong. I explained that he would lose points on his exam if he did that.


It makes perfect sense once put into words.
post #47784 of 69042
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

How to deal with retarded flat mates? Supposed to be signing a lease on a flat right now and now 2 of the people i'm supposed to be living with have pulled out because they've decided it's too expensive. It's about a $1000 a week between 5 people in central london so pretty cheap. They've decided they want to live in zone 2 or 3 so like a 30 to 40 minute tube journey out of central. Why in the fuck would you want to be that far away from your university and fun stuff in london when you have to go there 6 days a week. We also have to be moved there in 9 days so it's not like we have much time. I blame it on the fact they're UCL students and therefore academically challenged.

living within/below your means is smart.
post #47785 of 69042
It is below their means, they have just decided they want to have a big house, which you can't really get in zone 1 for below like $1600 a week. They'll be spending the same amount in zone 2 or 3 as they would spend in zone 1 just for a bigger house.
post #47786 of 69042
Why are London landords accepting dollars?
post #47787 of 69042
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post


It makes perfect sense once put into words.

Or after you had the five minute introduction to logic that Prof. Linkcans no doubt gave at the start of the term.
post #47788 of 69042
A lot of people are just plain cheap.
post #47789 of 69042
Link, just a question, have you educated these bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Leaders of Tomorrow into the world into the exciting world of properties of logic etc? How do you think the student in question will react to those.
post #47790 of 69042
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

A lot of people are just plain cheap.

My great grandfather would bring two cans of Budweiser in his pants pockets to restaurants. One time he did it when my grandfather was there, and the waitress saw it. Gramps basically said, "Dad, if you ever embarrass me like that again, this is the end of me taking you to dinner." I think he stopped.

He also would take wads of napkins and ketchup packets from McDonald's and the like, and of course never used them. laugh.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.