or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 3139

post #47071 of 67893
My back is really bothering me today. A muscle near my shoulder blade locked up on me this morning. The pain has, for the most part, gotten better as the day has progressed, but now I have that tight-from-trying-not-to-move-wrong feeling from the middle of my back to my neck. I suppose that's what I get for engaging in the rigorous activity that is shampooing one's hair without stretching first.

Also, I try not to gripe about the weather, but it's supposed to rain this weekend. Ordinarily, I don't mind it, but this will be the fourth weekend in a row with significant rain, and it's really getting old. I love this time of year, but I can't do anything fun outdoors on the weekend because it won't stop raining.
post #47072 of 67893
refuah shelaymah, G.

it has been raining here daily for like 10 days. supposedly weekend should be nice, i hope so cuz we have a 3 mile walk each way on shabbos.
post #47073 of 67893

I'm really upset that Kai the Hobo murdered a guy in NJ. Too much smash, smash, samashing. Oh, how the heroes have fallen.

post #47074 of 67893
A friend of mine at another university--not a super close friend, but a friend all the same--was just denied tenure. That's always a bad thing, of course, but especially now, when the job market for professors in the humanities is so awful. I hope she's able to pick up a job somewhere.
post #47075 of 67893
I spent the day in a car driving with two people (salespeople) who just wouldn't shut the fuck up, yatter yatter yater, all fucking day. in Spanish, so I really had to concentrate. telling me about all sorts of shit, asking me questions, etc. fuck I hate that.
post #47076 of 67893
So I have this thing about being super efficient in airport security lines. I don't wear my belt and watch until after security, I always travel with a jacket with big pockets so that all my stuff is securely in it well before I approach the scanners..even.part of the reason why I switched to ipad mini is because it fits in a jacket pocket .

Which of course means that 100% of the time, I am standing there with shoes, toiletry kit and carryon bag neatly binned, fuming while everybody else takes forever.

I realize that I do this to myself but still..... ffffuuuu.gif
post #47077 of 67893
They've never asked me to remove my watch. I think that huge event about the Rolex being stolen in newark caused them to change their evil ways.
post #47078 of 67893
any watch with some decent amount of metal will trigger the metal detector. they may not make you take it off but either you have to go again or they have to look at the watch. defeats the purpose of being hyper efficient.

the best part today was this Italian couple who thought they'd bring a snack on board. which consisted of a roll of bread, some cheese, and....a knife.
post #47079 of 67893

Most watches don't have enough metal to set off a detector. A submariner weighs 135g and you need 170g to trip a detector.

post #47080 of 67893
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

They use different sweeteners. Diet Coke uses aspartame and Coke Zero uses Splenda.
Not true in Germany. They use the same sweeteners (aspartame, cyclamate, acesulfame k) but different kinds of "acids". They both taste pretty bad. The Coke in the Netherlands tasted pretty bad, the Coke Zero was quite good though.
I've recently had a regular Coke that tasted like Vanilla Coke. Odd.
Edited by b1os - 5/18/13 at 3:30pm
post #47081 of 67893
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

So I have this thing about being super efficient in airport security lines. I don't wear my belt and watch until after security, I always travel with a jacket with big pockets so that all my stuff is securely in it well before I approach the scanners..even.part of the reason why I switched to ipad mini is because it fits in a jacket pocket .

Which of course means that 100% of the time, I am standing there with shoes, toiletry kit and carryon bag neatly binned, fuming while everybody else takes forever.

I realize that I do this to myself but still..... ffffuuuu.gif

worship2.gif
post #47082 of 67893
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

A friend of mine at another university--not a super close friend, but a friend all the same--was just denied tenure. That's always a bad thing, of course, but especially now, when the job market for professors in the humanities is so awful. I hope she's able to pick up a job somewhere.

sorry to hear that. that blows. you say somewhere else, did she lose her job also, or just denied tenure?
post #47083 of 67893
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

sorry to hear that. that blows. you say somewhere else, did she lose her job also, or just denied tenure?

To be denied tenure is effectively to be fired. When you don't make tenure, you get one more year to work at your university. (You get one more year because tenure decisions are made in the late spring, and the job market happens in late fall. It would be cruel to fire professors on the spot, since they couldn't realistically get work for next year.)
post #47084 of 67893
that really sucks. hard year ahead. i hope she finds something. frown.gif
post #47085 of 67893
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

To be denied tenure is effectively to be fired. When you don't make tenure, you get one more year to work at your university. (You get one more year because tenure decisions are made in the late spring, and the job market happens in late fall. It would be cruel to fire professors on the spot, since they couldn't realistically get work for next year.)
Fun fact about teachers in German public schools. A few decades ago, most teachers were granted the status of "public servant" (Beamter), which means better conditions for them (higher pension etc.). Nowadays, teachers rarely get "promoted" to "public servant". Quite a few teachers get fixed-term working contracts that last from the first day of school until the last, so essentially they're unemployed during the summer holidays (about six weeks) where they receive unemployment benefits (Hartz IV). After the summer holidays they get a new fixed-term working contract.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.