or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2977

post #44641 of 67984
crackup[1].gif
post #44642 of 67984

Being served a beer in a differently branded glass.
 

post #44643 of 67984
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Yeah I already went to one earlier today for neck and back pain and she was sounding all sorts of alarms, saying I needed to get consistent treatment and that my hip was misaligned. I've actually had issues with my lower back / hip for a year or so and I went to see an orthopedist a couple weeks back.

I know she's semi full of shit cause she wants dat insurance monies but damn did the treatment feel good! I feel fantastic now.

If you do have some misalignment, go to PT, not a chiro. I have misalignment issues, and figuring it out was like chasing a ghost for about a decade. I finally found a good PT guy, and the improvement was dramatic and fast. I had to go back during my treatment for checkups, but there was no, "you need to come in every week for an adjustment." Plus, they gave me exercises I can do at home that address the problem when/if it flares up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

semi-update, more "making me happy" but I don't want to post there with a reference to a post here. So I downloaded the tickets online and they popped out as a PDF. I want to get there early and browse around the new upgrades to MSG, but the wife can't make it that early so I'll just email her a ticket. I need to save the PDF to my desktop, so I do, but I generally dislike standard file naming conventions, so I just name it the first thing that comes to my head - "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Boner". Done. I send it off to her, and 5 minutes later I get an email saying the firm's email security system has "flagged my email for review". My group's MD is CC'ed. I explain what I did, he finds it hilarious, all is resolved quickly, wife gets it, asks wtf is wrong with me, then prints it off.

laugh.gif
post #44644 of 67984
Not the same line as the back crackers but I recall a meeting with a dentist whom my family used. After I got signed up with my companies medical plan he started talking about all sorts of issues I was having with my wisdom teeth that "needed" pulling and the related work around solving these issues which I was not aware of before but not to worry as the plan would cover it. Long story short here I am a decade plus later with the same teeth and a different dentist. I understand that we all need to make a dollar but that was absurd.

My mum saw him for a few years after till he sold his pratice and the new guy told her she needed to have a gum graft at 5K plus. She has a new guy and fine teeth.
post #44645 of 67984
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Canuker View Post

Not the same line as the back crackers but I recall a meeting with a dentist whom my family used. After I got signed up with my companies medical plan he started talking about all sorts of issues I was having with my wisdom teeth that "needed" pulling and the related work around solving these issues which I was not aware of before but not to worry as the plan would cover it. Long story short here I am a decade plus later with the same teeth and a different dentist. I understand that we all need to make a dollar but that was absurd.

My mum saw him for a few years after till he sold his pratice and the new guy told her she needed to have a gum graft at 5K plus. She has a new guy and fine teeth.

What about those quacks selling parents those cranial molding helmets? I mean, there are some instances where this is necessary, but for some reason there is an abundance of this problem among wealthy white women's kids. Too much free time.
Edited by idfnl - 3/18/13 at 1:49pm
post #44646 of 67984
You guys are muddying the waters for the poor kid. There's nothing at all wrong with chiropractic treatment. In fact, it can often be quite beneficial. If you are, in fact, out of alignment somewhere. But, if you KEEP falling out of alignment, or have a continuous problem like Mr. G did, then its most likely the muscles surrounding the joint that are weak and unable to keep you in a stable position.

Now, saying that he felt better with an adjustment is not necessarily indicative of a muscular stability problem. Maybe his hip WAS just out of alignment. No need for him to rush off to physical therapy.

Frog - if you feel that she's pushing for that insurance money, take yourself over to a new Chiro. Nothing at all wrong with getting more than one opinion.
post #44647 of 67984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

semi-update, more "making me happy" but I don't want to post there with a reference to a post here. So I downloaded the tickets online and they popped out as a PDF. I want to get there early and browse around the new upgrades to MSG, but the wife can't make it that early so I'll just email her a ticket. I need to save the PDF to my desktop, so I do, but I generally dislike standard file naming conventions, so I just name it the first thing that comes to my head - "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Boner". Done. I send it off to her, and 5 minutes later I get an email saying the firm's email security system has "flagged my email for review". My group's MD is CC'ed. I explain what I did, he finds it hilarious, all is resolved quickly, wife gets it, asks wtf is wrong with me, then prints it off.

rotflmao.gif
post #44648 of 67984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

You guys are muddying the waters for the poor kid. There's nothing at all wrong with chiropractic treatment. In fact, it can often be quite beneficial. If you are, in fact, out of alignment somewhere. But, if you KEEP falling out of alignment, or have a continuous problem like Mr. G did, then its most likely the muscles surrounding the joint that are weak and unable to keep you in a stable position.

Now, saying that he felt better with an adjustment is not necessarily indicative of a muscular stability problem. Maybe his hip WAS just out of alignment. No need for him to rush off to physical therapy.

Frog - if you feel that she's pushing for that insurance money, take yourself over to a new Chiro. Nothing at all wrong with getting more than one opinion.

In my mid 20's I went thru a process call Structural Integration (aka Rolfing) which was of huge benefit. It goes to your point about muscle. Its not usually bones that are out of alignment, its the musculature around them that's creating the problem and not necessarily weakness. For example people with hunched backs often have no back problems, its a compression of muscles in the abdomen, etc. After the 10 session of this I did, wow, I felt like I had a new body. I was 3/4" taller, and was wobbly for months as I adapted to the way things were adjusted now. The effects were long lasting. I've not had a significant injury of any form in more than a decade and a half.

Now, this was one of those 'alternative' treatments, but it worked for me. I tried a lot of these alternative treatments during that period of my life, some are hooey, but this one was very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_Integration
post #44649 of 67984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

If you do have some misalignment, go to PT, not a chiro. I have misalignment issues, and figuring it out was like chasing a ghost for about a decade. I finally found a good PT guy, and the improvement was dramatic and fast. I had to go back during my treatment for checkups, but there was no, "you need to come in every week for an adjustment." Plus, they gave me exercises I can do at home that address the problem when/if it flares up.
laugh.gif

I'm thinking about going to a PT now because I've had this lower back pain for 1-2 years now and the Orthopedist said nothing was wrong.. but I just don't buy it. He said that I just need to pop some advil whenever I feel pain and I can definitely tell something is off.

Maybe the PT will be my golden ticket to ridding myself of the back pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

You guys are muddying the waters for the poor kid. There's nothing at all wrong with chiropractic treatment. In fact, it can often be quite beneficial. If you are, in fact, out of alignment somewhere. But, if you KEEP falling out of alignment, or have a continuous problem like Mr. G did, then its most likely the muscles surrounding the joint that are weak and unable to keep you in a stable position.

Now, saying that he felt better with an adjustment is not necessarily indicative of a muscular stability problem. Maybe his hip WAS just out of alignment. No need for him to rush off to physical therapy.

Frog - if you feel that she's pushing for that insurance money, take yourself over to a new Chiro. Nothing at all wrong with getting more than one opinion.

Well, she wasn't pushy to the point of turning me off and being sleazy.. I'm just skeptical and assume she's eyeing me with $$$ in her eyes.

Thanks for the info, Rambo. Was quite helpful.

I think chiropractors can help in certain cases, but they definitely aren't the magical healers that they try to sell themselves to be. I'm sure it's rife with crooks that suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect.
post #44650 of 67984
I've gained over ten pounds in the last several months. Way too much carousing.

Maybe a good chiropractor can help me lose some weight.
post #44651 of 67984
Thumbs up just for "carousing." An underutilized word for sure.

I've got a friend who has starting making lots of facebook posts about Jesus. They are as long as sermons, which is not appropriate to the medium at all. But he gets likes, so he'll probably keep doing it.
post #44652 of 67984
I find myself writing about Jesus for pages on end these days. Sadly, it's for my current book project and not for my facebook wall.
post #44653 of 67984
Chiropractors are one step above acupuncturists. It's a scam. You're being scammed.
post #44654 of 67984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I would say if the no ice is that important it doesn't make sense one would "always forget" to stipulate this important non-standard request.

Exactly. I'm ridiculously anal about how much ice I want when I order scotch in a bar, as in, I'll have a scotch with 3 ice cubes, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I believe they are full of shit for all of the medical things they claim to fix.

But I bet it feels good...I kind of want to go to one to try it out, just think of it like a massage.

This is how I feel about it - I love getting adjusted. Even better is to have a massage and then an adjustment. Heaven. Stuff pops that I didn't know exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMan View Post

95% full of shit. Mostly antiscientific, unsubstantiated pseudoscience. There might be some evidence for relief of lower back pain, so if other avenues fail and you want to test it out, limit it to that. 

Yep. Never, ever buy any of the shit that every chiropractor seems to sell in their front office, but for temporary relief of lower back pain they can be pretty awesome.
post #44655 of 67984
Snow on March 18th is fucking bullshit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.