or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2880

post #43186 of 68102
I've had some mind blowingly good fruit but it was all in southeast asia.

mangosteens: taste like creamy purple grapes, they're relatively expensive even sold off some cart in a native market though
mangos: its hard to explain how much better mangos are in South East Asia... but they are... their taste is easy to get bored of though even how good
pineapples: this is another hard one to explain but they're smaller and sweeter and taste like a natural version of what sweetened pineapple drinks taste like here in the US straight from the fruit.
bananas: i remember climbing up this mountain range in the philippines when I was 17 with friends when we got to the summit this native kid comes out of nowhere and had these exotic mountain bananas that were like a foot long and 2.5in wide with paper thin skin. We tried to give him money for them but he didn't want money. We ended up having to share one of the huge 12" bananas because it was too much to take in one setting. They were sweeter and creamier than we expected. We tried to save a couple on the trek down but they didn't survive and were bruised and would oozed out of the delicate skin. My friends and I still talk longingly of the 12" mountain banana we shared together.

apples are still the domain of the US. when they're good. they are fucking so good. but they can suck too. watermelons are better here too.
post #43187 of 68102
Just clicked on birthday notifications for FB for today. One of them was for a friend who died in his sophomore year of college.
post #43188 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

I've had some mind blowingly good fruit but it was all in southeast asia.

mangosteens: taste like creamy purple grapes, they're relatively expensive even sold off some cart in a native market though
mangos: its hard to explain how much better mangos are in South East Asia... but they are... their taste is easy to get bored of though even how good
pineapples: this is another hard one to explain but they're smaller and sweeter and taste like a natural version of what sweetened pineapple drinks taste like here in the US straight from the fruit.
bananas: i remember climbing up this mountain range in the philippines when I was 17 with friends when we got to the summit this native kid comes out of nowhere and had these exotic mountain bananas that were like a foot long and 2.5in wide with paper thin skin. We tried to give him money for them but he didn't want money. We ended up having to share one of the huge 12" bananas because it was too much to take in one setting. They were sweeter and creamier than we expected. We tried to save a couple on the trek down but they didn't survive and were bruised and would oozed out of the delicate skin. My friends and I still talk longingly of the 12" mountain banana we shared together.

apples are still the domain of the US. when they're good. they are fucking so good. but they can suck too. watermelons are better here too.
sorry to put my maturity (or lack thereof) on display but lol8[1].gif (twss?)

since you mention the Philippines there are some seriously weird fruits there - but taste good. rambutan (they look like red sea urchins), durian (the famous stinky fruit), and i got sick to my stomach off this fruit that looks like a wasp's nest...i think it was called atis (sp?)
post #43189 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

sorry to put my maturity (or lack thereof) on display but lol8[1].gif (twss?)

since you mention the Philippines there are some seriously weird fruits there - but taste good. rambutan (they look like red sea urchins), durian (the famous stinky fruit), and i got sick to my stomach off this fruit that looks like a wasp's nest...i think it was called atis (sp?)

devil.gif

the story about the 12" creamy mountain banana is true... sexual innuendo's notwithstanding.

you can actually get rambutan in the US that tastes great. NYC chinatown and queens has them. So if you can get them in NYC you can probably get them anywhere in asian markets in the US.

the "sugar apple"/atis you mentioned is hit or mis... it can be freaking nasty.

but the mangosteen/pineapple/mango trifecta is something that you can't really find of south east asian experience/quality outside of the region.

I do remember last year finally trying rainier cherries. damn those are good. I got pissed when they were finally out of stock/season at the local trader joes. The last batch was the more expensive/inferior "organic" versions too and they went bad on me erasing my pallet/memory of these glorious US made fruit.
post #43190 of 68102
I visited my mom's family up in Montanta seven years ago (HOLY SHIT) and it was in the summer. All kinds of berries, cherries and delicious shit on the side of the road, $2 for a big-ass bucket. My mom would pull over and we'd eat that shit right up. They were so good it could *almost* justify the winters. Maybe.
post #43191 of 68102
Growing up in farm country the fruit and produce readily available was incredible. White corn, peaches and cream corn, the fresh beefsteak tomatoes, peaches, applies...there's no doubt the price we pay for cheap food (SWIDT?) is bland produce.
post #43192 of 68102
i hate the samsung gallery commercials with a passion.
post #43193 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Growing up in farm country the fruit and produce readily available was incredible. White corn, peaches and cream corn, the fresh beefsteak tomatoes, peaches, applies...there's no doubt the price we pay for cheap food (SWIDT?) is bland produce.

Yeah, we're starting to grow our own foods and I have to say that the cabbage is unusually tasty. Can't wait for the broccoli to sprout forth.
post #43194 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

sorry to put my maturity (or lack thereof) on display but lol8[1].gif (twss?)

since you mention the Philippines there are some seriously weird fruits there - but taste good. rambutan (they look like red sea urchins), durian (the famous stinky fruit), and i got sick to my stomach off this fruit that looks like a wasp's nest...i think it was called atis (sp?)

Maturity issues aside, this one had me laughing on this otherwise mundane Friday morning.

crackup[1].gif
post #43195 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I had a Rock Star energy drink (not my usual) that tasted like Nyquil. It was worth it for its absurd caffeine content though.

Just buy a bottle of caffeine pills off amazon for 6 bucks.
post #43196 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

apples are still the domain of the US. when they're good. they are fucking so good. but they can suck too. watermelons are better here too.

Like when they switch from selling Michigan/Minnesota honeycrisp apples to selling Washington honeycrisps? God, those washington apples are sad (especially when you didn't read the sign and thought you were buying true midwestern honeycrisps). I don't know how much of it is due to the fact that they have to travel further to get to chicago, but I suspect that, since they were bred in MN, the apples are just better from midwestern climates.

Of course michigan's honeycrisp crop got hit bad last year and I had an injury that prevented me from eating apples in the fall of 2011 so it has been a long time since I have had my honeycrisp fix.
post #43197 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

ffffuuuu.gif

Earbuds are the bane of my existence. Dynamics in music recording sucks now. Because of earbuds recording engineers compress music to absolute death so it sounds passable thru them.
Huh? confused.gif
post #43198 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Like when they switch from selling Michigan/Minnesota honeycrisp apples to selling Washington honeycrisps? God, those washington apples are sad (especially when you didn't read the sign and thought you were buying true midwestern honeycrisps). I don't know how much of it is due to the fact that they have to travel further to get to chicago, but I suspect that, since they were bred in MN, the apples are just better from midwestern climates.

Of course michigan's honeycrisp crop got hit bad last year and I had an injury that prevented me from eating apples in the fall of 2011 so it has been a long time since I have had my honeycrisp fix.

I wasn't aware the Honeycrisps aren't from Washington. Not a huge fan of them anyway. There are so many good apples to choose from, not to mention cheaper, that I never buy honeycrisps. Great fruit in Washington in the summer though - Peaches/nectarines, cherries, pears, plums, pretty much everything but citrus. Always manage to get over to the eastern side of the state (or have someone proxy) and load up at fruit stand prices.
post #43199 of 68102
Maybe that's why you aren't a fan of them?

The ones I have had from michigan were fantastic. Whether from a grocery store in chicago or by the basket from fruit stands in southwestern michigan.

Was really a shame that they weren't around this past year...hopefully 2013 bears a good crop.
post #43200 of 68102
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

ffffuuuu.gif

Earbuds are the bane of my existence. Dynamics in music recording sucks now. Because of earbuds recording engineers compress music to absolute death so it sounds passable thru them.

I don't think it is earbuds that are making them do it, I think it is people ripping things, and downloading tracks at 128 kbps or less. They have to compress the shit out of new music to make it audible. BTW, I hate it too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.