or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2874

post #43096 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Get out of the country and go somewhere foreign.

If I had your entitlements maybe I would.
post #43097 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

I disagree. I think the way you act every day has the power to make lives better or worse. It is why I smile and greet everyone I meet with respect. And I think it makes people feel better.

Exponentially moreso if you are in a position of authority. I mean, is someone going to wake up one morning a changed person because of something I did today? Obviously not. But if the way I conduct my affairs is consistent and honest and right, it does affect the lives of everyone who works for me and relies on this company for their livelihood and ability to provide for their families.

Maybe the interview question was trite, but I highly doubt it was intended in an arrogant or nasty way. The asker probably did have a motivational poster somewhere and maybe saw the question as a jumping off point. Perhaps it wasn't a good fit culturally for the Piob, but I don't think it was cause to call her arrogant.
Lots of truth in this post, seriously.
post #43098 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

thats tough... it sounds like a bed and breakfast type of situation.... sounds horrific.

my wife is great at planning vacations now, but damn did we have some shitty "weekend getaway" trips in our 20s. it always was centered around some sleepy town and a bed and breakfast followed by bickering in the car to and from.

the best weekend getaway things for us now is centralized around some thing like a concert/ballgame/running race (where I'm the only one running) something active, because to try to get rest in such a small amount of time is futile.

Yep, B&B thing. She's excited beyond belief. I am just not an outdoorsy guy at all, she's up for anything, but I am not so sure what she intends to get out of this trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

it's usually with a small group of friends and lots of wine and debauchery and then hangover cures at the beach

I hate the beach.
post #43099 of 66663
Douglas, you're moving the goalposts. "Effect" and "change the life of" are two completely different things.
post #43100 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

What the hell is a microcenter?

An awesome small tech chain with stores in 16 states. The kind of place where you could point to two external hard drives on the shelf and ask what the difference is and the kid helping you won't squint at the boxes for a minute before saying "Well, you see, this one is made by Western Digital, and this one is made by Seagate".

Do you have fry's out by you? I've never been to one but I hear they are good as well.
post #43101 of 66663
rolleyes.gif

I would say a far more accurate description of what's going on here is that you were playing games of semantic precision with an innocent interview question.
post #43102 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

rolleyes.gif

I would say a far more accurate description of what's going on here is that you were playing games of semantic precision with an innocent interview question.

As you were not there to catch her personal affect, etc., I guess I will have to defer to your assessment of something that happened to me about 13 years ago.

And if it is just a case of "semantic precision" why is your above post all about carefully changing the words?
post #43103 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


An awesome small tech chain with stores in 16 states. The kind of place where you could point to two external hard drives on the shelf and ask what the difference is and the kid helping you won't squint at the boxes for a minute before saying "Well, you see, this one is made by Western Digital, and this one is made by Seagate".

Do you have fry's out by you? I've never been to one but I hear they are good as well.


Fry's is great.
I look at fry's in the way you described microcenter. It's a megastore! Like an electronic costco.

post #43104 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

rolleyes.gif

I would say a far more accurate description of what's going on here is that you were playing games of semantic precision with an innocent interview question.

laugh.gif

He would never do that.
post #43105 of 66663
:shrug:

Obviously I wasn't there, but perhaps you could have noted that in your last post, rather than debating the semantic difference between two relatively similar phrasings.
post #43106 of 66663
I think I lost my new drivers license. Its ok though because I had a gawd awful picture in it. I was actually trying to grow out a beard for the first time in my life and had on a knit cap the whole time right up to the picture (it was cold day and still cold inside the dmv). So when my turn came up I took off my knit hat and half smiled. My hair was wild and afro-ish on one side and matted down on the other and my face had the sorry sparse asian half beard going (it was 3 weeks worth of growth). Plus the angle of the camera was from below.

I'd try out a goatee but it makes me look mexican... which isn't a negative thing, but I get people on the street who ask me for directions in spanish too often. I'm just going to shave it off. My aunt said if keep on growing it the police will think I'm a terrorist.
post #43107 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

:shrug:

Obviously I wasn't there, but perhaps you could have noted that in your last post, rather than debating the semantic difference between two relatively similar phrasings.

Doug, you're the one that carefully moved the wording/goal posts, not me.
post #43108 of 66663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

I mean, is someone going to wake up one morning a changed person because of something I did today?

This is what she was quite clearly going for in my opinion and I think that's an arrogant thought.
post #43109 of 66663
Websites that have password complexity requirements (i.e. they say specifically "you must have these things in your password") but then don't allow the use of common special characters.

Seriously, wtf AmEx? You require a number in the password, but then limit the special characters to "%&_?#=-" (what's wrong with @ or ( or ^ or . or spaces?)

and then your damn passwords ARE NOT EVEN CASE SENSITIVE!
post #43110 of 66663
I didn't carefully move anything. I read the question as I would have heard it, not having the benefit of whatever mannerisms she might have applied to it. And because of who I am, I would have interpreted it as an innocent question in the manner I did, no matter which way it was worded, because I don't think everyone around me is pigheaded or stupid, and because frankly I don't see a huge difference between "effect" and "change the life of" in casual conversation anyways. But maybe that's just who I am.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.