or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2855

post #42811 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

What a sweet sentiment!

I feel like some kind of shitty second rate anti-hero at the moment...

Midlife crisis..

I'm not some kind of post modern Bardamu...

By the way,they live 1000 miles from me and I will never meet them again in my life...

Not really DSK's territory..
post #42812 of 61921
I am copyediting a bunch of papers right now. Sometime during the course of their educations, philosophers all seem to pick up the habit of inserting the hedge "sort of" into their prose. In almost every case, it is completely unnecessary. It is also ugly. If I had a nickel for every "sort of" I have crossed out during the process of copyediting, I could buy a pair of Panta trousers.
post #42813 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I became angry today and punched my bathtub. (I was in it at the time.) I really need to break the habit of punching things when I am angry.
My impression of you doesn't include you punching things. confused.gif
post #42814 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

My impression of you doesn't include you punching things. confused.gif

I do get angry from time to time, but probably 99% of those times, I am angry at myself. When that happens, I punch things. As I mentioned, though, I really should stop doing that.
post #42815 of 61921
Sliced my finger with a chef's knife earlier. Very shallow cut but it bled like hell for a few minutes.

And I bought a Medoc yesterday at my favorite wine store. Got home, tried to open...cork is rotted through. Brought it back and exchanged for another bottle. Guess what? Same fucking thing. Really irritated.
post #42816 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

No, that is not what happened. I do not even have a rubber duck. If such a duck had said that, though, I might have become angry.

I was thinking about how hard I've been working the last few weeks and about how the results of that work seemed fairly paltry. Much of the work I've been doing lately is just clearing the docket.

Well here is the nub of your problem. It is well known that possession of a rubber duck is the key to anger management.
post #42817 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I am copyediting a bunch of papers right now. Sometime during the course of their educations, philosophers all seem to pick up the habit of inserting the hedge "sort of" into their prose. In almost every case, it is completely unnecessary. It is also ugly. If I had a nickel for every "sort of" I have crossed out during the process of copyediting, I could buy a pair of Panta trousers.

That would sort of piss me off also.
post #42818 of 61921
Jiminy Crickets, I am making a lot of posts in this thread today. Here's another one: I am still copyediting and I just spent an hour of my valuable time finding the correct source for a quotation. The author of the paper gave the wrong source. He wasn't even close to the right source. There are so many things I could have done in that hour that would have been better uses of my time.
post #42819 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Jiminy Crickets, I am making a lot of posts in this thread today. Here's another one: I am still copyediting and I just spent an hour of my valuable time finding the correct source for a quotation. The author of the paper gave the wrong source. He wasn't even close to the right source. There are so many things I could have done in that hour that would have been better uses of my time.

how many times can one punch a bathtub in a day?
post #42820 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Not sure if this pisses me off or makes me happy. Both I guess.
The leftette asks if I can return a candle to a store for her. I say sure but ask why, it's just a candle and we could always use another. She says, well I just thought I'd rather have the $275 back. 
This is not a candlestick, it's a candle.
lefty

i know some people here that would pay that if it smelled like bacon. did it smell like bacon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

I'm looking forward to returning it.
"Reason for return?"
"Are you kidding me?"
lefty

please to post reply of cashier when this happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

My hair is receding but my cock is awesome.

GREAT NEWS !
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

My great grandfather on my mother's side was 105 years old when he shook loose his mortal coil, and he had a great head of hair until the day he died. He was also a hit with the ladies. There is no doubt in my mind that I will take after him in every conceivable way.

good luck with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Canuker View Post

Once is to often, you need to tell him such before he fucks himself.

yes. not to mention what he could do to others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

My impression of you doesn't include you punching things. confused.gif

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I do get angry from time to time, but probably 99% of those times, I am angry at myself. When that happens, I punch things. As I mentioned, though, I really should stop doing that.

you really should. its a bad habit. im glad i stopped.
post #42821 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Jiminy Crickets, I am making a lot of posts in this thread today. Here's another one: I am still copyediting and I just spent an hour of my valuable time finding the correct source for a quotation. The author of the paper gave the wrong source. He wasn't even close to the right source. There are so many things I could have done in that hour that would have been better uses of my time.

Ever tried Turnitin? If students can't get their citations up to snuff using it then something is wrong, then you can spend more time on the content of their papers rather than checking for things like plagiarism and correct citations.
post #42822 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Ever tried Turnitin? If students can't get their citations up to snuff using it then something is wrong, then you can spend more time on the content of their papers rather than checking for things like plagiarism and correct citations.

What I'm doing now is copyediting papers that will appear in an academic journal. For student papers, I don't worry all that much about the accuracy of their citations, but for a journal article, it's essential that everything be right. I never cease to be amazed at how bad a job people do with citations. Very often the quote is wrong. And in this case, the quote is right, but the author cites it to the wrong book.
post #42823 of 61921
I hate when authors get their citations wrong. It's bad enough when I'm just reading the paper and want to know the reference, even worse if I'm reviewing. "See procedure in XYZ work, " which goes to something totally unrelated. Fuck you man, I wanted to know how that worked.
post #42824 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

how many times can one punch a bathtub in a day?

I did not punch my bathtub this time, mainly because I am in my office, where there is no bathtub to punch. I did throw some things, though. I don't know why, but I am in an unusually pissy mood today.
post #42825 of 61921
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I did not punch my bathtub this time, mainly because I am in my office, where there is no bathtub to punch. I did throw some things, though. I don't know why, but I am in an unusually pissy mood today.

Pretty clear that the department is going to have to spring to get you a better office with a bathroom in it...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.