or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2794

post #41896 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscotti View Post

I can't take it anymore. I appealed to get financial aid for spring; however, I received the letter from the Financial Aid Office today rejecting my appeal--the premise for the rejection was my withdraw from classes fall 2009, my first semester.

I am a senior, I have over a 3.5 gpa, and I have paid out of pocket the past three semesters--this is killing me. I appeal every semester, and every semester my appeal is rejected. I have had faculty vouch for me, and I have written multiple letters. Apparently, making one mistake at 19 means you shouldn't finish your degree. All I want is a fucking federal loan--I know so many brats with 2.0's who have been at school for 6 years and get their loans just fine.

I am infuriated--I just want to give up--it really fucking sucks.

You know, this may seem shitty now, but when you graduate debt free and look at everyone else who's completely saddled with debt, I bet you'll look back at this pretty fondly.
post #41897 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscotti View Post

I can't take it anymore. I appealed to get financial aid for spring; however, I received the letter from the Financial Aid Office today rejecting my appeal--the premise for the rejection was my withdraw from classes fall 2009, my first semester.

I am a senior, I have over a 3.5 gpa, and I have paid out of pocket the past three semesters--this is killing me. I appeal every semester, and every semester my appeal is rejected. I have had faculty vouch for me, and I have written multiple letters. Apparently, making one mistake at 19 means you shouldn't finish your degree. All I want is a fucking federal loan--I know so many brats with 2.0's who have been at school for 6 years and get their loans just fine.

I am infuriated--I just want to give up--it really fucking sucks.

Best revenge is achieving your goal. Don't let them break you.

That's really stupid too. I've never heard of this.
post #41898 of 66520
Wow, huge accident in the Detroit area on a stretch of highway I've driven countless times.
post #41899 of 66520
It is a product of relatively recent legislation--a student must have a certain percentage of hours earned to hours attempted. In my case, withdrawing from 18 hours my first semester drastically skews this.
post #41900 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

You know, this may seem shitty now, but when you graduate debt free and look at everyone else who's completely saddled with debt, I bet you'll look back at this pretty fondly.

I disagree with this.

Federal loans are the fucking bomb. He might feel better about it if he thinks about it like that, but he should definitely keep fighting to see if he can get some of those loans (or get some debt-free grants!).

As long as you are not an idiot, subsidized federal loans are a good thing to have. He's almost done, so it is not like he will build up a ton of them, and the subsidized loans have a pretty low limit anyways (you're not going to end up 100k in debt with undergraduate stafford and perkins loans). The interest rates are so low and repayment terms so generous that Biscotti would be way better off paying in the future and saving himself from some stress right now. Obviously, if he is able to scrape to pay for it ALL out of pocket now, he should be able to make payments just fine in the future since unlike most of the ungrateful fucks he goes to school with, he already has gainful employment and knows what it is like to work.
post #41901 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I hate it when lawyers send me things in word that should be created in excel.

Or the one (not even old) who was doing math on a calculator and typing the results into excel facepalm.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

What should be created in excel? I honestly have no idea.

Resurrecting this because I just facepalmed.

Some lawyer just sent me a text list instead of a nice excel table.
I got a list of names and numbers and they are written out like this:
1. Bob Jackson Stores - 182747, 2340
2. Allen & Steve Life Partners - 28758, 2134
3. Big Boats and Airplanes Inc - 828582, 29129
etc. for 65 lines.

Now I have to go in and separate all of this shit out into separate columns to actually do anything with it (and because the names have things like dashes and commas in them sometimes, a simple formula to split up the lines won't work).

The worst part is...I have seen the documents she took this information from, and it was already an excel table! She must have typed this crap out instead of just copying the columns.
post #41902 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


Resurrecting this because I just facepalmed.

Some lawyer just sent me a text list instead of a nice excel table.
I got a list of names and numbers and they are written out like this:
1. Bob Jackson Stores - 182747, 2340
2. Allen & Steve Life Partners - 28758, 2134
3. Big Boats and Airplanes Inc - 828582, 29129
etc. for 65 lines.

Now I have to go in and separate all of this shit out into separate columns to actually do anything with it (and because the names have things like dashes and commas in them sometimes, a simple formula to split up the lines won't work).

The worst part is...I have seen the documents she took this information from, and it was already an excel table! She must have typed this crap out instead of just copying the columns.

Ummm...just set the punctuation marks to be column delimiters. Done.
post #41903 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I disagree with this.

Federal loans are the fucking bomb

I agree, my parents paid for undergrad but I paid for grad school. My effective apr for those loans were so low that I stretched that shit out for as long as I could. At the point where I could easily pay off the balance, investment opportunities kept coming up that paid my interest many times over
post #41904 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


Resurrecting this because I just facepalmed.

Some lawyer just sent me a text list instead of a nice excel table.
I got a list of names and numbers and they are written out like this:
1. Bob Jackson Stores - 182747, 2340
2. Allen & Steve Life Partners - 28758, 2134
3. Big Boats and Airplanes Inc - 828582, 29129
etc. for 65 lines.

Now I have to go in and separate all of this shit out into separate columns to actually do anything with it (and because the names have things like dashes and commas in them sometimes, a simple formula to split up the lines won't work).

The worst part is...I have seen the documents she took this information from, and it was already an excel table! She must have typed this crap out instead of just copying the columns.

Excel Text to Columns is your friend. Split it on the ' - ', then split the right half on the ', '.
post #41905 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


Resurrecting this because I just facepalmed.

Some lawyer just sent me a text list instead of a nice excel table.
I got a list of names and numbers and they are written out like this:
1. Bob Jackson Stores - 182747, 2340
2. Allen & Steve Life Partners - 28758, 2134
3. Big Boats and Airplanes Inc - 828582, 29129
etc. for 65 lines.

Now I have to go in and separate all of this shit out into separate columns to actually do anything with it (and because the names have things like dashes and commas in them sometimes, a simple formula to split up the lines won't work).

The worst part is...I have seen the documents she took this information from, and it was already an excel table! She must have typed this crap out instead of just copying the columns.

WOOOO Billable hours.
post #41906 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Ummm...just set the punctuation marks to be column delimiters. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Excel Text to Columns is your friend. Split it on the ' - ', then split the right half on the ', '.

did you guys not read my post?
I said that the names have commas and dashes in them...so it doesn't work automatically.

It is easy enough to make it work (I actually only needed the the numbers so I just read from the right to the dash and then split on the comma), but the point is...wtf? Excel was made to store information like that. You can even paste from excel straight into outlook and I can copy back into excel without issue.

I think Thomas is right...billable!
post #41907 of 66520
Even so, it will still get 90% of them, and you can manually fix the rest.

Or... Just bill it biggrin.gif
post #41908 of 66520
You can still delimit the columns using other methods anyway (whitespace, character differences, etc.). Without seeing the actual document I can't say for sure what you'd need to do but I can guarantee you it's possible if it's in any semblance of order.

Still, yeah, kinda dumb to put it in Word.

If you have to do this stuff often you might want to look into Notepad++ and learning basic Regex.
post #41909 of 66520
I have this good friend, really intelligent and sane, but he's turning into a 2nd amendment whack job on Facebook.
post #41910 of 66520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Best revenge is achieving your goal. Don't let them break you.

That's really stupid too. I've never heard of this.

I'm not going to let it break me; however, it is just such a let down--I want to enjoy my life some, rather than continually stressing out. I'm going to have to start selling some shit in order to get this done however--the fact that my pay will double (so will my work load) in March will be a relief as well (yet that will also mean I will be on call 96 hrs. a week).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.