or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2787

post #41791 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

That's why I didn't do it in America. Saved about $40K.

For a lot of quantitative subjects (engineering, mathematics, etc.) it always seems to be like that. Kind of odd that the goal is to increase the number of STEM grads in America while the university system works completely against it.


Yeah I heard it's even more in America. I was considering applying to NYU or Columbia, but it was like $50k a year and I'd have to do bullshit liberal arts stuff for 2 years to become well rounded so I can find out what I want to do even though I think you should have a pretty clear direction of what you want to do when you're like 16. Am considering doing my masters in the states, but then thats 2 years and higher fees or I can do it in 1 year here.
post #41792 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

I decided to work out how much my university costs per hour. At the LSE you have 4 hours of class a week, we also have 8 hours of lectures, but I don't go to any because for my subjects I think they're useless, i'd rather read my course book for an hour. We have 23 classes per subject per year and I have 4 subjects so thats 102 classes a year. Each class is actually only 50 minutes so we have time to get between classes, which is bull shit because theres only 4 classes a week so thats only 85 hours a year. Tuition is 15000 a year. I pay 176.47 pounds per hour of my education, which is basically having a first years masters student from some other school in london like brunell who most of the time has forgotten the details of his first year of university education and always gets confused and this is assuming I have perfect attendance, which I don't so in reality it's probably over 200 quid an hour for really shit teaching. Am incredibly russled, could do this at home with just my course books and commute to school for the exams. Also this isn't taking into account this 336 quid a week I need for accommodation and food.

you're obviously a candidate for a Problem Based Learning system. They tried to implement it in medical schools during the 90's onward, but it didn't really stick. Some people are lazy and love to be spoon fed information and concepts. I loved sitting in lectures because it made reviewing source materials so much easier after.

But the times where they tried some modules in a problem based learning system I realized how awesome it could be, but some aren't just engineered to learn like that.
post #41793 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

I think you should have a pretty clear direction of what you want to do when you're like 16

lol.

No, more than likely you should and will not.
post #41794 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

My boss is in Jamaica for the week. So not only do I get the pleasure of my typical 75 hr week, but I get to add all of her "owner" duties to my days. Funny how little you think someone does until you have to cover for them.

moar moniez?
post #41795 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Yeah I heard it's even more in America. I was considering applying to NYU or Columbia, but it was like $50k a year and I'd have to do bullshit liberal arts stuff for 2 years to become well rounded so I can find out what I want to do even though I think you should have a pretty clear direction of what you want to do when you're like 16. Am considering doing my masters in the states, but then thats 2 years and higher fees or I can do it in 1 year here.

LOL yeah I had no idea what I wanted to do at 16. I knew what I thought I wanted at 20, and by 22 I'd completely reversed course. By 30 I'd settled into a kind of niche, and at 40 I've more or less decided on what I'll be doing (and not what I was doing at 30). Unless something better comes along.
post #41796 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Yeah I heard it's even more in America. I was considering applying to NYU or Columbia, but it was like $50k a year and I'd have to do bullshit liberal arts stuff for 2 years to become well rounded so I can find out what I want to do even though I think you should have a pretty clear direction of what you want to do when you're like 16. Am considering doing my masters in the states, but then thats 2 years and higher fees or I can do it in 1 year here.

Some employers pay for a Master's, though, which makes avoiding study in America a moot point if you're studying a highly-sought-after degree in undergrad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

you're obviously a candidate for a Problem Based Learning system. They tried to implement it in medical schools during the 90's onward, but it didn't really stick. Some people are lazy and love to be spoon fed information and concepts. I loved sitting in lectures because it made reviewing source materials so much easier after.

But the times where they tried some modules in a problem based learning system I realized how awesome it could be, but some aren't just engineered to learn like that.

What's a Problem-Based Learning System?
post #41797 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

moar moniez?
laugh.gifcrackup[1].giflaugh.gif
post #41798 of 64538
Kwilk move to the East Coast so we can be roomiez!!!!
post #41799 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

LOL yeah I had no idea what I wanted to do at 16. I knew what I thought I wanted at 20, and by 22 I'd completely reversed course. By 30 I'd settled into a kind of niche, and at 40 I've more or less decided on what I'll be doing (and not what I was doing at 30). Unless something better comes along.

Exactly. I know a guy who was an M&A specialist lawyer, lots of big time clients, tons of money, then about 10 years ago switched to marketing kind of by chance, now making tons more money doing that, for just one example.

Hell, read the NYTimes Sunday Business section for their profiles on executives and their career paths, holy hell most of them have WILDLY different swings in them.

Also, if I had followed my wish at 16, I'd be an even bigger failure than I am now.
post #41800 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Some employers pay for a Master's, though, which makes avoiding study in America a moot point if you're studying a highly-sought-after degree in undergrad.

My employer is paying for my MBA. But it still sucks because if you take a class that costs say $10,000 and the company reimburses you that $10,000 they have to take out the taxes as if it is normal income so at the end of an MBA degree at say NYU you still are stuck paying around $50,000 in taxes. What a lot of people do is get a student loan for that amount and write-off the interest.
post #41801 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

My employer is paying for my MBA. But it still sucks because if you take a class that costs say $10,000 and the company reimburses you that $10,000 they have to take out the taxes as if it is normal income so at the end of an MBA degree at say NYU you still are stuck paying around $50,000 in taxes.

Uhhh...how much does an MBA at NYU cost?
post #41802 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

My employer is paying for my MBA. But it still sucks because if you take a class that costs say $10,000 and the company reimburses you that $10,000 they have to take out the taxes as if it is normal income so at the end of an MBA degree at say NYU you still are stuck paying around $50,000 in taxes. What a lot of people do is get a student loan for that amount and write-off the interest.

An MBA program basically teaches you the ways of business and how things go down (happen). It would be a value at twice the price.
post #41803 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Uhhh...how much does an MBA at NYU cost?

if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

FWIW, I was checking costs not long ago and even the nearby state schools are ridiculously expensive, compared to what I paid 10 years ago.

ETA: Holy shit it's been 10 years. eek.gif
post #41804 of 64538
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

laugh.gifcrackup[1].giflaugh.gif

frown.gif
post #41805 of 64538
the adchoices ads on my computer make my sad about what my interent activity apparently suggests to marketers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.