or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2683

post #40231 of 70282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I can tell you all about the "opportunities and resources" for such a family from two decades of personal experience. Can you? Or are you going to sit there from your high and mighty perch and tell me what it's like?
laugh.gif

look, when I was dirt poor, I lived off of the equivenent of beans and rice, and a lot of veggies, but I lived in a place where those things were cheap, and where processed foods weren't available. I dont' know that I would have done differently if I had lived in the States or Canada, but I was also on my own, I didn't have responsiblities, and I had hope - I never doubted that I would improve my lot.

for a 40 year old with 3 kids and no hope going forward, that greasy shit looks awfully good.
post #40232 of 70282
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

look, that's part of the problem - having lost weight, its easy to hate the people who don't/cant. and I agree with you, for the most part. but I also understand how hard it is to get that start of losing weight, espectially for poor/overwhelmed people.
the main issue is when you are fat you have low energy, you come home from work having been shit on all day, you are tired, you have to feed your kids, and it is a lot esier to feed them something fat and cheap that requires no or little cooking.
its part of a holistic problem - these people very often don't have good family support, they don't have a relationship with a doctor to help advise them, they very often aren't very bright, and they are very often overwhelmed. so, yes, these are excuses, but there is correclation between all these things in the US and obesity.

GT, part of the problem is people like Greenfrog making bullshit excuses for them. If you treat a person like a child nine times out of ten they're going to act like one. You know I'm all for education but then I get people like GF fight me when I start to trot out the real facts. Part of the problem with obesity in the US is that's it's a protected class and catered to.
post #40233 of 70282
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

look, when I was dirt poor, I lived off of the equivenent of beans and rice, and a lot of veggies, but I lived in a place where those things were cheap, and where processed foods weren't available. I dont' know that I would have done differently if I had lived in the States or Canada, but I was also on my own, I didn't have responsiblities, and I had hope - I never doubted that I would improve my lot.
for a 40 year old with 3 kids and no hope going forward, that greasy shit looks awfully good.

Just eat less greasy shit. At the very least you've mitigated the problem.

I'm not immune to things here. I mean, I did let myself bloat up to 260. I understand the struggle. Just because I can relate doesn't mean I'm not going to point out people are fat because they eat too much shit. You and I both know it's really that simple. If you decide your life is so hopeless you want to be a baby Shamoo? More power to you. Just don't be a bitch and make excuses. You're fat because you made yourself that way, not because you can't shop at Whole Foods, etc., etc., etc.
post #40234 of 70282
I'm not making excuses for fat people.

All I'm saying is that it's not wholly their fault. Is that so hard to accept?

Also, Piob, this is why you're so difficult to have a discussion with because you get all riled up and blurt out ad hominems like it's no one's business. Why don't we agree to disagree.

P.S. I'm not a closet liberal. smile.gif
post #40235 of 70282
You're a regular liberal. happy.gif
post #40236 of 70282
Also, I think we're talking about different segments of society right now.

I'm trying to defend the lower socioeconomic classes that tend to be Hispanic and African American who lack the education and resources to live healthily.

I agree that there are a LOT of Americans who literally have no excuse to be fat and unhealthy when they have the education and resources. I find those people as despicable as everyone else here, but there are certain segments where the status quo is just stacked against them.
post #40237 of 70282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I'm not making excuses for fat people.
All I'm saying is that it's not wholly their fault. Is that so hard to accept?
Also, Piob, this is why you're so difficult to have a discussion with because you get all riled up and blurt out ad hominems like it's no one's business. Why don't we agree to disagree.
P.S. I'm not a closet liberal. smile.gif

Why don't you get back to me about all your personal experience growing up with the unwashed masses? Your personal experience of the "opportunities and resources" for a family in poverty? Get back to me from the basis of education and work experience? Then we can agree to disagree. Until then you're just some rich kid pontificating out of his ass.

Also, you are making excuses for fat people. You fail to see your last few posts are full of excuses?

As to riled up? Son, go read what you posted that got me to call you a closet liberal. You seem to start registering a conversation after you say something that triggers a response.
post #40238 of 70282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Also, I think we're talking about different segments of society right now.
I'm trying to defend the lower socioeconomic classes that tend to be Hispanic and African American who lack the education and resources to live healthily.
I agree that there are a LOT of Americans who literally have no excuse to be fat and unhealthy when they have the education and resources. I find those people as despicable as everyone else here, but there are certain segments where the status quo is just stacked against them.

Ah, the subtle racism of low expectations. Because, you know, poor white people are smarter, right? Yup, pB is right. You're just a regular liberal. wink.gif
post #40239 of 70282
Geez, now I'm a racist liberal because I think certain social classes can't live healthily so easily?
post #40240 of 70282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Geez, now I'm a racist liberal because I think certain social classes can't live healthily so easily?

Did I miss the part where it was you telling me poor Hispanics and blacks are too ill equipped to deal with life not to be whales?
post #40241 of 70282
I mean, that's exactly what I'm saying. Statistics show that the undereducated, lower income households in America tend to be African American and Hispanic. I don't think that makes me a racist, does it?
post #40242 of 70282
I think it's important to separate out the moral part of the phenomenon from the descriptive part. We can offer explanations (admittedly imperfect) for why certain people might find it harder to live healthy lifestyles without treating those explanations as excuses.

Just to make an analogy, I was brought up in a family that would have thrown a party if we got up to the poverty line. It was a dysfunctional family with lots of alcoholism. Growing up in that family, I developed habits of dealing with others that were less than ideal. (I avoided getting too close because I believed close relationships would blow up in my face. That was my experience.) Now at almost 40, I am still wrestling with those habits. I still don't always make the best decisions. I don't take my childhood circumstances as an excuse, though; it's just an account of the challenges I face. I can't get better if I don't make an honest assessment of what's motivating my behavior. The same kind of thing is true for addressing the serious problem of obesity in the US.
post #40243 of 70282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

God, you guys are so ignorant it's actually disappointing.
I can't believe you would just dismiss all the problems in society that promote fatness and just blame it squarely on the poor, overworked, uneducated rungs of society.
It's so easy for everyone here to sit high and mighty on his/her educated, above-average incomes butts, but it's not so simple as you guys make it out to be.

Oh, and before you bitch about ad homs again, why don't you read the post you made that I responded to in such a fashion you felt I was ad hom'ing you. Given you:

1) Did not grow up in poverty
2) Do not have extensive education in the topic
3) Do not have work experience with these populations

But felt the need to call me "ignorant?" Lulz.
post #40244 of 70282
This is America, pretty much anything you do or say in regards to protected races makes you a racist.
post #40245 of 70282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I mean, that's exactly what I'm saying. Statistics show that the undereducated, lower income households in America tend to be African American and Hispanic. I don't think that makes me a racist, does it?

No, "statistics" show more white people are poor than any other group. As Jesse Jackson is fond of pointing out, more white people are on social assistance than any other group. The poor do not "tend" to be non-white in the US.

What makes you racist is the low expectations. Why not expect as much from poor blacks and browns as from whites?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.