or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2529

post #37921 of 64950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

It's kind of funny. I've heard in MC about people who wear something for a few seasons and then it's worn out, and it leaves me puzzled.gif I have a fair number of garments that passed the decade mark a while ago, and that's not even counting things I inherited.

BFAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

better still

nod[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Fucking Styleforum. That's what. Fuck. I'm buying pocket squares now. Fuck.

lolgoodluckwiththat
post #37922 of 64950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Never heard of padmapper. Will check it out. I'm assuming it used to be a better service?
Been going back and forth with agents all day on this over email. Ready to punch my screen. ffffuuuu.gif

It is an aggregator that places apartments on a map with a pretty good set of filters (price, bedrooms, etc).

Unfortunately, like 75% of their listings were scraped from craigslist posts and craigslist sent them a C&D to stop (which was a shame because all they ever did was put a pin on a map and provide a link to the original post). I don't know what it was about them, but they were *very* good at doing this. Apartments were placed in the right spot and all the listings showed up. Other sites that claim to scrape craigslist either miss most of the listings or just don't work right.

They have their own listing site where landlords can post things, and they scrape from a few other sources...but the reason it was successful was really the fact that it made craigslist usable.
post #37923 of 64950
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

lolgoodluckwiththat

100 dollars on eBay. Now, seeing as I need to be up in 5 hours, I'm going to sleep. Fucking. Style. Forum. cloud.gif

post #37924 of 64950
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

It is an aggregator that places apartments on a map with a pretty good set of filters (price, bedrooms, etc).

Unfortunately, like 75% of their listings were scraped from craigslist posts and craigslist sent them a C&D to stop (which was a shame because all they ever did was put a pin on a map and provide a link to the original post). I don't know what it was about them, but they were *very* good at doing this. Apartments were placed in the right spot and all the listings showed up. Other sites that claim to scrape craigslist either miss most of the listings or just don't work right.

They have their own listing site where landlords can post things, and they scrape from a few other sources...but the reason it was successful was really the fact that it made craigslist usable.

Oh that sucks about it not pulling from CL anymore. I am spending some time with the site as it is and can already tell how useful it would be in that regard. Great, modern UI. Mapping seems to work well as do the filters for the most part. I do wish you could give it a search radius from a provided zip code, but otherwise it's nice.

Craigslist really needs to figure out how to get the keyword manipulation under control. That are create enhanced search filters. It's a huge pain in the ass to look for placed "downtown" (example) and have results pop up from a good 20 miles away.
post #37925 of 64950
Still haven't heard from my friend. I'm assuming that this means he's not coming, but I do think it's funny that he's basically supposed to be here by now, yet I can't even confirm he'll be here at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post

A good excuse to cancel hasn't happened yet. Give it time. We've all got friends like this.

That's the thing. He doesn't even really offer excuses; he's just utterly unreliable. Plus, if he needed an excuse, he had one a couple days ago when he first mentioned not coming.

I'd also like to think we're good enough friends that he could just say, "man, this didn't work out, I'm sorry. I'm hoping to do it another time." I'm a reasonable person, and I get that things can come up and ruin plans. I don't get upset when stuff happens that's beyond someone's control. I even get that this might happen more than once. The thing that's so aggravating about this situation is that it happens over and over and over and over. If it weren't so frustrating, I'd almost be impressed by how reliably it occurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Here's the thing: not everyone takes commitments the way we do. There is quite a bit of literature on the type of people like your friend, the type of people that are late for every meeting, etc. It basically percolates down to insecurity and/or a false sense of worth. So I guess you should cut him some slack but not count on him to be there.

Interesting. Is the research generally in management and the like? The thing that's so strange about this guy is that he's a really, really good guy, and he doesn't exhibit any of the traits you mentioned (insecurity/sense of worth), but he's spectacularly unreliable. It's basically his "thing." I do cut him slack, because I value his friendship to a greater degree than he annoys me, but still...ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

...
i didnt know you were so tight with edina. confused.gif

Did you not notice I posted this in the "pissed" thread. Why would I do that if Edina weren't coming to my house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

ugh. I've stopped inviting/informing a very close friend of mine who's also my mountain biking buddy because of his tardiness or not showing up at all. I don't want to confront him, and I'm not angry but I find it helps my sanity by just not having to deal with him. he could show up if he wants, or he could text me but I've stopped telling him to join me.
...

This was my approach when we lived in the same city. Anything I invited him to was planned thinking he'd be late, if he showed up at all. Now that we're in different places, the inconvenience is multiplied, though it happens less frequently.
post #37926 of 64950
G, yeah, I read it in something to do with meetings. This is the guy/girl that's always late to meetings.
post #37927 of 64950
this has me seeing red - would appreciate mature feedback on this:

my wife is out of town, and for the past few days i've been snapping a few iPhone photos of my kid (3-year-old-daughter) in various candids that represent our home life together. i've forwarded the photos via text to my wife so that she's felt connected while away.

one of the photos was of her in the shower. one of us has to give her a bath or shower every night (obviously), and she was hamming it up in the shower a bit and i snapped a pic and sent it to my wife. she has her back turned to the cam and yes you can see her 3-year-old butt but she's looking back and smiling and holding a toy.

a day or so later i got a text from her auntie - my mother-in-law's sister. Let's call her Rose. Rose watched my daughter for the first 3 years of her life - she was our day care provider, 1-on-1, until our daughter started preschool just a month or two ago. auntie was saying she missed our daughter, and i forwarded the pic because i thought it was cute.

I then sent it to my mother in law, who had called earlier in the evening, thinking hey, maybe she'll think this is cute too. that's it - both people who have seen the kid in this exact scenario before. In fact, I believe both have, within the past week.

anyways, the fact that i took and forwarded this pic is now a cause of great fucking consternation with the in-laws, who are apparently beside themselves with this immodest photo and the father who took it, it being inappropriate at her age and whatnot. they are all talking about it and apparently some in the family "can't even look at it."

am i nuts for being outraged at what i am perceiving as a pretty salacious implication?

(ib4 post is useless without pics)
post #37928 of 64950
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

this has me seeing red - would appreciate mature feedback on this:
my wife is out of town, and for the past few days i've been snapping a few iPhone photos of my kid (3-year-old-daughter) in various candids that represent our home life together. i've forwarded the photos via text to my wife so that she's felt connected while away.
one of the photos was of her in the shower. one of us has to give her a bath or shower every night (obviously), and she was hamming it up in the shower a bit and i snapped a pic and sent it to my wife. she has her back turned to the cam and yes you can see her 3-year-old butt but she's looking back and smiling and holding a toy.
a day or so later i got a text from her auntie - my mother-in-law's sister. Let's call her Rose. Rose watched my daughter for the first 3 years of her life - she was our day care provider, 1-on-1, until our daughter started preschool just a month or two ago. auntie was saying she missed our daughter, and i forwarded the pic because i thought it was cute.
I then sent it to my mother in law, who had called earlier in the evening, thinking hey, maybe she'll think this is cute too. that's it - both people who have seen the kid in this exact scenario before. In fact, I believe both have, within the past week.
anyways, the fact that i took and forwarded this pic is now a cause of great fucking consternation with the in-laws, who are apparently beside themselves with this immodest photo and the father who took it, it being inappropriate at her age and whatnot. they are all talking about it and apparently some in the family "can't even look at it."
am i nuts for being outraged at what i am perceiving as a pretty salacious implication?
(ib4 post is useless without pics)

I think they're all fucking nuts, but it might be best to only send photos like that to your wife from now on.
post #37929 of 64950
Wow. Have no idea where to go with that but I think those folks are a) crazy and b) way out of line. I'm sorry I have no advice on actions to take but just know you are 100% justified in being upset over all this.
post #37930 of 64950
Man, shit that pisses me off are those fuckers that refuse to move to the back of the streetcar during rushour; they just come in and stand in the middle. And those that just stand blocking the exit with their headphones on and totally oblivious to people trying to come off.

Oh, and those assholes who ignore lines and just walk right up when a streetcar/bus arrives. God damnit I'm getting mad just thinking about them.
post #37931 of 64950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

this has me seeing red - would appreciate mature feedback on this: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
my wife is out of town, and for the past few days i've been snapping a few iPhone photos of my kid (3-year-old-daughter) in various candids that represent our home life together. i've forwarded the photos via text to my wife so that she's felt connected while away.
one of the photos was of her in the shower. one of us has to give her a bath or shower every night (obviously), and she was hamming it up in the shower a bit and i snapped a pic and sent it to my wife. she has her back turned to the cam and yes you can see her 3-year-old butt but she's looking back and smiling and holding a toy.
a day or so later i got a text from her auntie - my mother-in-law's sister. Let's call her Rose. Rose watched my daughter for the first 3 years of her life - she was our day care provider, 1-on-1, until our daughter started preschool just a month or two ago. auntie was saying she missed our daughter, and i forwarded the pic because i thought it was cute.
I then sent it to my mother in law, who had called earlier in the evening, thinking hey, maybe she'll think this is cute too. that's it - both people who have seen the kid in this exact scenario before. In fact, I believe both have, within the past week.
anyways, the fact that i took and forwarded this pic is now a cause of great fucking consternation with the in-laws, who are apparently beside themselves with this immodest photo and the father who took it, it being inappropriate at her age and whatnot. they are all talking about it and apparently some in the family "can't even look at it."
am i nuts for being outraged at what i am perceiving as a pretty salacious implication?
(ib4 post is useless without pics)

i have done the exact same thing. that is to say, take pics of my own kids in the bath, and you can see their little butts. hell, there are pics of me in the bath as a kid with my penis showing. most people i know have the same. i think its a rite of life that embarrassing nude childhood pics float around your parents house, or something.

they are being ridiculous. if i was you, i would just ignore them entirely about it. i dont even see a reason to discuss it. you are more than in the right here.

that being said, yes, i think its quite understandable to be outraged. but i would try to just push it out of your mind. not worth the aggravation.
post #37932 of 64950
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

Man, shit that pisses me off are those fuckers that refuse to move to the back of the streetcar during rushour; they just come in and stand in the middle. And those that just stand blocking the exit with their headphones on and totally oblivious to people trying to come off.

Oh, and those assholes who ignore lines and just walk right up when a streetcar/bus arrives. God damnit I'm getting mad just thinking about them.

I just walk through these people, saying excuse me as I basically shove them aside. If I'm trying to get off the train and someone is barging on, I just stop and let them bounce off of me.
post #37933 of 64950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

this has me seeing red - would appreciate mature feedback on this:
my wife is out of town, and for the past few days i've been snapping a few iPhone photos of my kid (3-year-old-daughter) in various candids that represent our home life together. i've forwarded the photos via text to my wife so that she's felt connected while away.
one of the photos was of her in the shower. one of us has to give her a bath or shower every night (obviously), and she was hamming it up in the shower a bit and i snapped a pic and sent it to my wife. she has her back turned to the cam and yes you can see her 3-year-old butt but she's looking back and smiling and holding a toy.
a day or so later i got a text from her auntie - my mother-in-law's sister. Let's call her Rose. Rose watched my daughter for the first 3 years of her life - she was our day care provider, 1-on-1, until our daughter started preschool just a month or two ago. auntie was saying she missed our daughter, and i forwarded the pic because i thought it was cute.
I then sent it to my mother in law, who had called earlier in the evening, thinking hey, maybe she'll think this is cute too. that's it - both people who have seen the kid in this exact scenario before. In fact, I believe both have, within the past week.
anyways, the fact that i took and forwarded this pic is now a cause of great fucking consternation with the in-laws, who are apparently beside themselves with this immodest photo and the father who took it, it being inappropriate at her age and whatnot. they are all talking about it and apparently some in the family "can't even look at it."
am i nuts for being outraged at what i am perceiving as a pretty salacious implication?
(ib4 post is useless without pics)

Don't know if you're nuts for being outraged, but your in-laws are nuts for not being ashamed of themselves.
post #37934 of 64950
I hosted a soiree at my home this evening. Little Genevieve was trying her best to be a witty hostess, but she only knows one witticism, which she repeated multiple times: "If this van's a rockin', I'm doin' coke to Dokken." But she wasn't in a van, so it didn't make sense. Certain guests told me that they were going to adjust their impression of me downward owing to Genevieve's antics.
post #37935 of 64950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

am i nuts for being outraged at what i am perceiving as a pretty salacious implication?

Be outraged. They are nuts for getting so upset about it. You're her father. They are her relatives. She is a toddler. I think everybody has had such pictures of themselves taken at some point, shared with family, and regaled with "awwwww." Then when they are 11 or 12, you share them with family again, the family goes "awwww" and your preteen hates you for a few minutes. That's part of being a family. Your in laws are nuts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.