or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW! - Page 5340

post #80086 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

It's amazing how many entry level people with minimal experience are super pissed off that they aren't managers yet.

We joke about it but it truly is.
post #80087 of 85676
I would make a great manager.

Srs.

bigstar[1].gif
post #80088 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

We joke about it but it truly is.

I feel like everyone I knew in college just assumed they'd be a middle manager someday. It was like early 00s assumption of most (non-engineering) UMC white kids. Somehow a lot of people forgot that you actually have to have some skills in the middle there.


My brother actually got a "business management" degree (does sales now).
post #80089 of 85676
I ate Pizzel Hut pizza for lunch now my office smells like sweaty feet to where I guess Pizzel Hut pizza must smell like sweaty feet because my own feet aren't sweaty and I got my shoes on. It's called scientific method controlling your variables.

EDIT: Even what I took my Lactaid pill my stomach is basically hibbeldy-jibbeldy now (because of dat cheese).
post #80090 of 85676

I would literally go unemployed than work for GF.

post #80091 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

It's amazing how many entry level people with minimal experience are super pissed off that they aren't managers yet.

Or never should be. Leaving aside folks' laughable opinions of their own abilities and qualifications generally, it's amazing how many otherwise sophisticated people have trouble appreciating the skill set that makes someone a good X is usually not identical to the skill set that makes one a good manager of X's.
post #80092 of 85676
Working in science, the majority of managers are bad. They tend to promote the best scientists, and they never had much chance to develop management skills. It's often a disaster, especially when layered with the usual office politics and cronyism.

I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of never getting promoted. Our structure is really flat, not many layers of management. That concept drives some people crazy, like they don't feel appreciated if they don't get improvements in title. I'm ok with just getting more money.
post #80093 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Working in science, the majority of managers are bad. They tend to promote the best scientists, and they never had much chance to develop management skills. It's often a disaster, especially when layered with the usual office politics and cronyism.

My scientist brother would agree with everything you say here except possibly the part about promoting the best scientists . . .
post #80094 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Or never should be. Leaving aside folks' laughable opinions of their own abilities and qualifications generally, it's amazing how many otherwise sophisticated people have trouble appreciating the skill set that makes someone a good X is usually not identical to the skill set that makes one a good manager of X's.

I'm not very good at managing people. I'm trying to work on it (especially breaking off things I need to do and delegating them to someone else...)...

Luckily we don't have a lot of titles or a very rigid organizational structure. So I can pull in help when I need it, without having to worry about constantly managing a team of people and keeping them busy every single day.
post #80095 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I'm not very good at managing people. I'm trying to work on it (especially breaking off things I need to do and delegating them to someone else...)...

Luckily we don't have a lot of titles or a very rigid organizational structure. So I can pull in help when I need it, without having to worry about constantly managing a team of people and keeping them busy every single day.

I hear you on that. I've had various levels of management responsibility in my career. I find far less satisfaction, and probably contribute less relative value, managing a large department than running a small team (or just fucking around on my own). I'm sure this varies a bit by industry and specialization, but for me there was tipping point where I felt too distanced from the day to day details of the work that I actually enjoy. Plus, there came a point when I had to declare a "only one person is allowed to cry in my office per day, first come first served" rule. I have great respect for people who have the personality and skills to be great managers, but it ain't me, babe.
post #80096 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So, back to the generational talk, the fifth annual Deloitte survey of Millennials says 48% of women feel they are being overlooked for leadership roles so plan to leave their company:
They probably are in the 83% that refuse to consider figging
post #80097 of 85676
I should give seminars on what I've learned and the philosophies I've developed. I will share with you all that I think the biggest talent a top level manager has to have is being able to project an impression of serious interest and earnestness to someone that is giving you their thoughts while all that's happening in your head is a vision of gouging their eyes out with a spoon and then skull fucking the empty socket.
post #80098 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I would literally go unemployed than work for GF.

Oh, sweet summer child. What makes you think I'd extend you an offer in the first place?

👋🏼👋🏼
post #80099 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I would make a great manager.

Srs.

bigstar[1].gif

At Chipotle. bigstar[1].gif
post #80100 of 85676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post


At Chipotle. bigstar[1].gif

 

Correct. I would be the manager who eventually rises through the ranks to become the CEO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!