I have to decide soon if I want to switch to a different office.
Pros of my current office:
- Relatively Big, 110-120 sq ft.
- Lots of desk space (about 40sq ft U shaped)
- Built in shelving and file cabinets, room to store boxes under desks
- On the "main floor" of our building with the receptionist, better bathrooms, primary kitchen, top brass, etc.
Cons of my current office:
- Window only sees other buildings.
- Built in furniture/carpet is a bit old and worn.
- Obnoxious billing woman has moved into a cubicle outside my office.
- People immediately surrounding my office aren't those I interact with much.
Pros of new office:
- Window has a real view. Sees over the top of buildings and sees some of the park and the lake (but you only get the lake view if you lean towards the window and look out).
- Whole floor was redone last year so walls/carpet are in great shape. Brightly lit, etc.
- Newer, nicer desk surface.
- On the floor with all of the cool kids.
Cons of new office:
- Smaller , 90-95 sq ft.
- No built in shelving and the guy is taking his open bookshelf with when he moves. The alternative big, metal bookcases will be imposing in the small space.
- On what might be a fairly high traffic hallway.
- Only 15 sq ft of desk space (a 3'x6' desk).
- Kind of inefficient layout forced by the shape of the building. Can't get the desk right up against the window which leaves an awkward space...maybe could figure out how to fit some extra work surface onto that space with come DIY work.
I don't need a lot of space...but I have a bunch of crap right now. Some of that is just that I have expanded to fit the space available (could ditch old case files that just sit on shelves now), but I like that I can turn around and use empty desk space now with my big U shaped desk. The new desk will pretty much be taken up by my computer, monitors, phone, and a few random notebooks/books.
Still though...dat view! Even with my current lack of a view, I look out the window very often just to give my eyes a break.