or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW! - Page 5104

post #76546 of 85808
I passed up an opportunity to do sexual relations with a beautiful lady because I sent a prayer to the Lord check in to see if it was permissible and of course the answer was no. But now I think one of my friends intercepted my prayer and gave a false answer as a practical joke on me. I was like "aww man!"
post #76547 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post




Also, which of these things justifies what's happening to this guy?
It's actually pretty terrifying. You can lose everything simply because you provoke the ire of keyboard warriors with too much time on their hands. It's toxic and we should collectively be a lot more worried about it than we are.
The witches are starting to burn
post #76548 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

The witches are starting to burn

You know what else burns? Very small rocks.
post #76549 of 85808
A big game hunter turned me into a newt.
post #76550 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

You know what else burns? Very small rocks.

Ask Joan of Arc and that poor Jordanian pilot.
post #76551 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

Ask Joan of Arc and that poor Jordanian pilot.
If they don't answer that's a clear sign of guilt, right?
post #76552 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Is this the count of posts you've made declaring yourself the winner of a competition that exists only in your head?

Talk to the hand brah 👋🏻
post #76553 of 85808
Georgia's auto laws (and taxes) are seriously starting to aggravate me.

Moving to Atlanta in about a month. Which means we will need to buy a car more or less immediately.

Here's the problem--when you buy the car, you have seven days to register the car in GA. To register the car, you need a GA driver's license. To get a GA driver's license, you need two forms of address verification.

So basically, the timeline seems to go something like this:
  1. T+0: Move.
  2. T+21 days: Get address verification--figure 2 weeks to move into new place (start of lease), plus another week or so to get mail. Go apply for GA license.
  3. T+35 days: Receive drivers license.

At this point presumably I can go buy a car.

What I'm supposed to do in Atlanta with no car for >1 month is beyond me. Presume I'm going to have to rent something for a month.

Can't buy the car here because then I'd have to pay the sales tax twice (here, and again in GA) again thanks to GA's insane auto taxes.

FML.
post #76554 of 85808
Yeah, they overhauled the car tax scheme a couple years back. Some of it made sense (no more birthday tax), but there was definitely some serious stupidity in there (charging new residents sales tax).

Won't you sign up for utilities and do the lease well before you move in? That should have the service address, right? And you'd have it before you even got to Georgia.

Also, there's no need to build a wait into receiving your license. You get it on the spot in Georgia.

Still, other than the sales tax thing (which is ridiculous), isn't this pretty standard stuff? I've only lived in a couple states, but I would have assumed you can't register a car in a state where you're not licensed.

Also, if you think the car stuff is pissing you off, wait until Ed sees your post and thinks it means he has a new friend in town!
post #76555 of 85808
Does it really take 2 weeks to get a license if you go in person?

They printed my IL license while I was standing there.

Also, it looks like a car purchased from a dealer has 30 day temporary license/tags...so...buy from a dealer?
post #76556 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

You know what else burns? Very small rocks.
Wow I really had to dig for that one . I wasn't expecting a python reference from you youngsters
post #76557 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Yeah, they overhauled the car tax scheme a couple years back. Some of it made sense (no more birthday tax), but there was definitely some serious stupidity in there (charging new residents sales tax).

Won't you sign up for utilities and do the lease well before you move in? That should have the service address, right? And you'd have it before you even got to Georgia.

Still, other than the sales tax thing (which is ridiculous), isn't this pretty standard stuff? I've only lived in a couple states, but I would have assumed you can't register a car in a state where you're not licensed.

Also, if you think the car stuff is pissing you off, wait until Ed sees your post and thinks it means he has a new friend in town!

The sales tax thing is enraging. We have one car, which my wife will use for her daily commute, that we bought about 4 months ago. Paid sales tax to NY at the time, and going to have to pay them again to GA when we move. $5.5k in taxes combined on a $30k car within six months. Unreal.

It also makes leasing very unattractive. Pay the full sales tax up front, not just the tax on what you "use"--one of only 5 states I believe to require you to do that. Also pay full sales tax again if you exercise the purchase clause at the end of the lease. Unfortunate, because I'll really only need this car for a few years, so leasing would have been a great option for me.

Honestly, I'm sure it probably is standard in most states. Just seems that everyone assumes that you already have a car and aren't going to be stranded (or paying to rent something) while you wait for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Does it really take 2 weeks to get a license if you go in person?

They printed my IL license while I was standing there.

Also, it looks like a car purchased from a dealer has 30 day temporary license/tags...so...buy from a dealer?

Pretty sure GA mails you the license, if I'm remembering my wife's renewal process many years back (she's NY licensed now, so we couldn't just register under her name frown.gif ). Could have changed though, worth a look. That would shave some serious time off.

The dealer thing could be a help, though I was planning to go private since I just need a commuter car. Wonder how bad you get screwed if you're late registering it in case I still dont have the license...
post #76558 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Does it really take 2 weeks to get a license if you go in person?

They printed my IL license while I was standing there.

Also, it looks like a car purchased from a dealer has 30 day temporary license/tags...so...buy from a dealer?

Nah. No wait. You get it when you go.

Yeah, you get 30 days at a dealership. Actually, in Georgia, you don't even have to use a temp tag. You can drive without one with no problem. They'll give you one, I guess because then they can date it (you're not supposed to go more than 30 days with no tag), but you don't actually have up display a temp.
post #76559 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Nah. No wait. You get it when you go.

Yeah, you get 30 days at a dealership. Actually, in Georgia, you don't even have to use a temp tag. You can drive without one with no problem. They'll give you one, I guess because then they can date it (you're not supposed to go more than 30 days with no tag), but you don't actually have up display a temp.

OK, so that does help then. So maybe more like 21 days before I can get a license, which means maybe I can roll the dice with a dealer car. Very good to know--thanks.
post #76560 of 85808
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

The sales tax thing is enraging. We have one car, which my wife will use for her daily commute, that we bought about 4 months ago. Paid sales tax to NY at the time, and going to have to pay them again to GA when we move. $5.5k in taxes combined on a $30k car within six months. Unreal.

Honestly, I'm sure it probably is standard in most states. Just seems that everyone assumes that you already have a car and aren't going to be stranded (or paying to rent something) while you wait for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn.

Yeah, the sales tax thing for new residents is obscene.

You do seem to be stuck in a weird in-between, which sucks.
Quote:
Pretty sure GA mails you the license, if I'm remembering my wife's renewal process many years back (she's NY licensed now, so we couldn't just register under her name frown.gif ). Could have changed though, worth a look. That would shave some serious time off.

The dealer thing could be a help, though I was planning to go private since I just need a commuter car. Wonder how bad you get screwed if you're late registering it in case I still dont have the license...

Like I said above, I'm pretty sure they give you there license. It's been a long minute since I got my Georgia license, but I don't recall waiting. At the very least, they give you documentation that the real one is coming.

We bought a car a couple years back and the dealership messed up the registration, pushing us over 30 days. I don't recall any late fees. I do know the fee for renewing late is surprisingly small.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!