or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW! - Page 4911

post #73651 of 85764

You don't even really need to know how to do things to be advanced at Excel. You just need to know what it can do and look things up as needed. 

post #73652 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I uhh.. just got laid off. They combined the roles of two departments and mine "became redundant." I suspect that I was the highest paid employee in my rank so I'm wondering if that played a large role.

I'm taking it pretty well so far because we're leaving on very good terms. My manager said he'll give me glowing references but wow, did not see this coming at all.

Sigh.

Well, fuck, GF, sorry to hear that.
post #73653 of 85764
People judge how good they are at excel by measuring how good they are at doing what they know it can do.

It turns out that its an extremely powerful tool and has way more functionality than most people realize.

People that use it for basic stuff don't know about the advanced stuff. Or in a lot of cases, the shortcuts, or the formulas and functions that are available.

I live in excel and would never tell a stranger I'm really good at it because there's always someone else that knows a million things you've never even thought of. It's mind-bottling.
post #73654 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

You don't even really need to know how to do things to be advanced at Excel. You just need to know what it can do and look things up as needed. 

No. Because being good at it means turning a task from not done to done in a short amount of time and in an elegant fashion. If you're looking things up you're not fast.
post #73655 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

No. Because being good at it means turning a task from not done to done in a short amount of time and in an elegant fashion. If you're looking things up you're not fast.

Only the first time.
post #73656 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

ironing is the worst activity. I dread it.

I love ironing. I find it very calming and zen like. I generally iron most of my clothes sunday night while watching a television program. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Star Trek Porn, whatever is on.
post #73657 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Also, I don't know your financial situation or anything but don't miss out on unemployment because of pride or something. It's a system that you have paid into and should take advantage of. I missed out on a ton of free money once upon a time because I "didn't need it." 

ethanm, I sympathize with your situation and wish you well. But if you can get something to keep your finances going don't give in to the temptation of sucking off the government teat. Nothing good ever comes of that.

This is the actor who plays Harvey_Birdman saying - "You're better than that."
post #73658 of 85764
Just found out that a friend of mine is cheating on his wife with a girl who we went to high school with. Makes me sick. His wife just had a baby too. Also, the woman he's having the affair with recently had a baby too.
post #73659 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Just found out that a friend of mine is cheating on his wife with a girl who we went to high school with. Makes me sick. His wife just had a baby too. Also, the woman he's having the affair with recently had a baby too.

At least he knows he isn't impotent.
post #73660 of 85764
Hey GF, I was laid off the week of Christmas. Same sort of situation. Take the UI, and take some time to figure shit out. I hadn't had any real time off since I moved to Boston 4 years ago. I know you were working on that side business of yours. See if it is financially viable for you to do that full-time. I had a ton of projects and people approach me over the years, I just couldn't take the opportunities because it was a pay cut and I didn't want to take the risk. 3 other guys and I have started a whole sale and wine import business in the mean time. Things are looking good. Do something for yourself.
post #73661 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

ethanm, I sympathize with your situation and wish you well. But if you can get something to keep your finances going don't give in to the temptation of sucking off the government teat. Nothing good ever comes of that.

This is the actor who plays Harvey_Birdman saying - "You're better than that."

False. Free money comes of it and free money is good.
post #73662 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Just found out that a friend of mine is cheating on his wife with a girl who we went to high school with. Makes me sick. His wife just had a baby too. Also, the woman he's having the affair with recently had a baby too.

Sometimes I get to thinking that mankind is just basically made up of a bunch of faulty specimends.
post #73663 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

Hey GF, I was laid off the week of Christmas. Same sort of situation. Take the UI, and take some time to figure shit out. I hadn't had any real time off since I moved to Boston 4 years ago. I know you were working on that side business of yours. See if it is financially viable for you to do that full-time. I had a ton of projects and people approach me over the years, I just couldn't take the opportunities because it was a pay cut and I didn't want to take the risk. 3 other guys and I have started a whole sale and wine import business in the mean time. Things are looking good. Do something for yourself.
GF has a side business?? Do tell.
post #73664 of 85764
GF can always be a dog walker. Lots of $$$.



Serious.
post #73665 of 85764
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

GF can always be a dog walker. Lots of poon.



Serious.

FTFY
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!