or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW! - Page 4859

post #72871 of 85703

Poor time keeping, if my apoitment is for 1 I expect to been seen at 1 not 1:15

post #72872 of 85703
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnMURPHY2021 View Post

They make a show here of having security escort employees out of the building if they are jumping ship to a competitor. I don't get it, if they wanted to steal corporate intelligence, they would've had weeks to do it before announcing their leave

You want to be escorted out as that will prevent any claims you took any sort of company property with you. It's as much a protection for the (former) employee as it is for the organization.
post #72873 of 85703
I know of an architecture firm that would shut down your computer as you were working on something, and then pull you aside to notify you of your layoff.


seems a bit extreme, but I know a lot of architects, some very good and some pretty bad, so I kind of get it.
post #72874 of 85703
Experience has taught me you always have IT backup a manager's network drive and local drive prior to termination or immediately after they give notice. Some of the shit I've read from local harddrives is hilarious and also helped win/prevent more than one employment law claim.
post #72875 of 85703
I know a firm.....if you resigned and gave 2 weeks(etc)....the resignation would be made effective immediately. But they wanted you to fill out an online exit doc/Q&A and take part in an interview before you left that day.

If they fired/terminated you, no Q&A/exit doc, but you would be pulled into a conf room to go through the specifics. Then you would be escorted out.

Unemployment can still be attained if you are terminated....not only laid off. As someone mentioned, it depends on the reason. Some companies don't dispute it for anything short of burning the building down.

(Of course, this varies by state/country.)
post #72876 of 85703
I know a firm (my father's) that when you're fired other employees all shit in a bag and hide it under the seat of your car.
post #72877 of 85703
I dunno...just seems kind of dickish, at least at the professional level. You trusted this person to work for you yesterday, and now they have to be escorted out?

I've never seen somebody escorted out of my company after quitting...and a lot of people give much more than 2 weeks notice without fear of finding themselves jobless early.
post #72878 of 85703
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I dunno...just seems kind of dickish, at least at the professional level. You trusted this person to work for you yesterday, and now they have to be escorted out?

I've never seen somebody escorted out of my company after quitting...and a lot of people give much more than 2 weeks notice without fear of finding themselves jobless early.

The Fortune 500 I worked for prior to my current gig? I ran SBUs for them and I kept my personal belongings limited to what would fit in one copier paper box as I wanted to be able to make only one trip out. Watched too many folks that needed multiple trips when their time came.

Glad I left on my own terms but that discipline stuck with me here for the first few years. I guess at 11 years I'm here for awhile.
post #72879 of 85703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Experience has taught me you always have IT backup a manager's network drive and local drive prior to termination or immediately after they give notice. Some of the shit I've read from local harddrives is hilarious and also helped win/prevent more than one employment law claim.

You would think that experience had taught you to have IT keep manger's drives backed up at all times...because...that's what backups are for.

In my company, they used to (maybe still do, I haven't explored the network recently) post people's client work folders on a network drive after they left the company. Usually that really is just client work, but some people are poorly organized and have random personal stuff everywhere (or didn't bother to store actual work product in places other than their desktop or root "My Documents" folder).
I've seen some pretty lulzy things in those folders.
post #72880 of 85703

In two of my pervious jobs, as soon as I handed in my nottice I was walked out, knew it was going to happen so it didn't make my difrence and the 3 months garderning leave was good as well.

 

last job where I got laid off, they made me work for 2 months, but did give me a 12 month pay off, so I couldnt complain to much.

post #72881 of 85703
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I dunno...just seems kind of dickish, at least at the professional level. You trusted this person to work for you yesterday, and now they have to be escorted out?

I've never seen somebody escorted out of my company after quitting...and a lot of people give much more than 2 weeks notice without fear of finding themselves jobless early.

A company has to protect themselves just in case.
If the person is leaving to work for a direct competitor, they could take business contacts that could/would make the departing firm lose business.

Trust is not the issue.
It's not "show-friends." It's "show-business."
post #72882 of 85703
2 jobs ago, I worked at a small pharmaceutical company.
One day, the president of the firm(I sat right outside his office) calls me and a colleague(and good friend) in his office.

He tells us that he is going to fire the VP and that if we hear anything crazy going on inside his office, we should come in ASAP!
Ok....we go back to our desks cracking up. I tell my colleague who sat next to me and she started to laugh!

VP gets called in. My friend is lurking near my desk just in case. We hear nothing. Door opens up 10 min later. VP heads to his office, gets some stuff, comes out and says good bye.

The next day(or day after), he comes in with some shorts on and loafers to clean out the rest of his office. Looked like he was going on a cruise. He could not give a damm/knew he would get a job and probably got a great severance. Said so long to everyone and bounced.
post #72883 of 85703
Thank god I've never had a real job. I couldn't put up with that kind of shit.
post #72884 of 85703
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

You would think that experience had taught you to have IT keep manger's drives backed up at all times...because...that's what backups are for.

In my company, they used to (maybe still do, I haven't explored the network recently) post people's client work folders on a network drive after they left the company. Usually that really is just client work, but some people are poorly organized and have random personal stuff everywhere (or didn't bother to store actual work product in places other than their desktop or root "My Documents" folder).
I've seen some pretty lulzy things in those folders.

Yes, they're backed up, but that's in the general corporate nightly backup. It might have changed, as the whole "cloud" and "actively managed network" thing but several years ago IT told me just dropping a copy of an individual's data is the easiest thing to do if I'm worried about them wiping work product or want to explore their local drive at my leisure.
post #72885 of 85703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Yes, they're backed up, but that's in the general corporate nightly backup. It might have changed, as the whole "cloud" and "actively managed network" thing but several years ago IT told me just dropping a copy of an individual's data is the easiest thing to do if I'm worried about them wiping work product or want to explore their local drive at my leisure.


Do you/someone screen employee's e-mails?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!