or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why buy very high quality BLACK dress shoes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why buy very high quality BLACK dress shoes? - Page 4

post #46 of 92
I'm never drawn to plain cap toes either. But one pair in black is more or less required. DAMN IT!

You can get 'proper' opera pumps for your tux for only a few hundred dollars. But only a 'certain' crowd will understand that they are the proper shoe. Other's will think you borrowed them from your wife.
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I'm never drawn to plain cap toes either. But one pair in black is more or less required. DAMN IT!
You can get 'proper' opera pumps for your tux for only a few hundred dollars. But only a 'certain' crowd will understand that they are the proper shoe. Other's will think you borrowed them from your wife.

QFT.
post #48 of 92
how can you say no to these?

432
post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Other's will think you borrowed them from your wife.
This happened to me on a visit to Atlanta. Some redneck sharing the elevator with us wanted to know why I was wearing women's shoes with bows on 'em. He thought 'they was real cute.' I thanked him and told him that no amount of compliments would get me to go home with him.
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

This happened to me on a visit to Atlanta. Some redneck sharing the elevator with us wanted to know why I was wearing women's shoes with bows on 'em. He thought 'they was real cute.' I thanked him and told him that no amount of compliments would get me to go home with him.

Nice, kudos to you, good sir...
post #51 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivon View Post

Over the years, I've owned numerous AE models like the PA, Kenilworth, Byron and Sanford, nothing I've seen from AE would qualify as sleek with my current definition. My sleek is DG70 or EG 82 shoes and some Italian models. I'm not slamming AE, but my tastes have moved on from their aesthetic. I wish I could go back to wearing them, I'd save a pile of cash.

AE from time to time has had sleek models, I can attest from the Seven Collection models I have, which are leagues ahead in sleekness from typical AE's. The new 333 last is pretty sleek as well, with a chiseled toe. At the moment I'm content with AE, I'm sure I will be converted like the rest of you in the near future.
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Nice, kudos to you, good sir...
Oh, I wouldn't go that far.
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

AE from time to time has had sleek models, I can attest from the Seven Collection models I have, which are leagues ahead in sleekness from typical AE's. The new 333 last is pretty sleek as well, with a chiseled toe. At the moment I'm content with AE, I'm sure I will be converted like the rest of you in the near future.
I haven't an issue with AE's like some of the more 'advanced' SF members. I buy and wear them with certain articles of clothing. Although I probably more often buy Alden's (not exactly sleek).

I have a tendency to match cut/style and quality levels of clothing and leather goods so that no one item works against or 'out does' the others. For example with an Anderson & Sheppard suit, I would reach for a shoe that both works with and lives up to the quality of the suit. That would not be an Oxford from Allen Edmonds but perhaps one from Cleverley (per below). If I'm wearing ready made cords or khaki's and a rustic tweed coat, a pair of Allen Edmonds bluchers -- or Alden loafers -- might be just the thing.

But black captoes are typically worn in dressy situations ... at funerals, at weddings, etc. ... occasions that call for finer clothing ... and shoes. I'm not sure I want to short change at these times.


NLCleverlyBespokeOxfordBlack2.jpg
Edited by RSS - 4/11/12 at 9:15pm
post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

Oh, I wouldn't go that far.

I'm certain you'd go further.




nod[1].gif


BTW - the Cleverlies are very nice.
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I'm certain you'd go further.
nod[1].gif
We haven't met and yet you know me well.
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

This certainly reflects my point of view.

+1
post #57 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I do agree with you. There is not enough difference in terms of durability to justify the $700 upcharge. Yes there is a difference. But a $1000 pair of G&Gs is not going to outlast 3 pairs of $300 AEs. .


An ugly or uncomfortable shoe you'll never wear will last forever. Doesn't mean it's a good value.

I find the idea the average buyer of a $1K shoe is worried about extended durability kind of strange. If you can afford the shoes you can afford enough shoes that wear won't be an issue.
post #58 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by asturiano View Post

Why Grenson? I would personally put C&J and Trickers or Cheaney (Imperial range)

I have a pair of black Grenson Paul Stuart captoes that are indistinguishable from my EGs.
post #59 of 92
I have several black GG, EG, and JLs and cannot truthfully can't tell any real difference. If I had my $$ over again I'd probably at least try C&Js first, maybe even the benchgrade, for black shoes.

However, when it comes to more adventurous colours and designs the JL (prestige) finishing is far superior and the extra money has been well spent.
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

An ugly or uncomfortable shoe you'll never wear will last forever. Doesn't mean it's a good value.
I find the idea the average buyer of a $1K shoe is worried about extended durability kind of strange. If you can afford the shoes you can afford enough shoes that wear won't be an issue.

I agree completely.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why buy very high quality BLACK dress shoes?