or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › What should I do about my smoking neighbor?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What should I do about my smoking neighbor? - Page 2

post #16 of 36
I don't think he sounds like a dick at all. I think smoking in one's apartment is a reasonable thing to do. If it's against his lease or not, I don't see how that's your business.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

I don't think he sounds like a dick at all. I think smoking in one's apartment is a reasonable thing to do. If it's against his lease or not, I don't see how that's your business.

If it's in his lease , He can complain..

The guy can smoke outside..

Can't see a problem with that..
post #18 of 36
Non smokers are such whiners......
post #19 of 36
Your lease might include a no smoking clause. You assume his has the same clause. Assumption is the mother of what?

The guy rents both a living space and a storefront and has done so before you showed up. Sounds to me like the passive landlord knows where his money is coming from. Guess what, money talks and if push comes to shove guess who's most likely to go?

I know a thing or two about multi person dwellings. You make it sound like there's smoke billowing into your place. Unless the place is more or less a run down shanty I highly doubt that's the case. I would guess at most that there's an air leak under the guy's door and that's where the smell is coming from. You walk through it going up to your place, open your door and then the hyperbole starts.

You have exactly two choices IMO. Live with it and quit stirring the pot over petty shit or move somewhere else.
post #20 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootje View Post

Non smokers are such whiners......

Actually I'm an occasional smoker, I just don't want to live in a cloud of smoke 24/7. I've never smoked in my apartment exactly because I don't want everything I own to reek of smoke and I don't want my bathroom walls to start yellowing with tobacco smoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

I don't think he sounds like a dick at all. I think smoking in one's apartment is a reasonable thing to do. If it's against his lease or not, I don't see how that's your business.

It's my business because his smoke comes into my apartment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

Your lease might include a no smoking clause. You assume his has the same clause. Assumption is the mother of what?
The guy rents both a living space and a storefront and has done so before you showed up. Sounds to me like the passive landlord knows where his money is coming from. Guess what, money talks and if push comes to shove guess who's most likely to go?

Absolutely and I understand that, but my landlord seemed pretty shocked the first time I mentioned my apartment smelled like smoke all the time.
Quote:
I know a thing or two about multi person dwellings. You make it sound like there's smoke billowing into your place. Unless the place is more or less a run down shanty I highly doubt that's the case. I would guess at most that there's an air leak under the guy's door and that's where the smell is coming from. You walk through it going up to your place, open your door and then the hyperbole starts.

What was that you just wrote in the last paragraph? "Assumption is the mother of what?" I live in a building from the 1860s with original wood floors and exposed brick. They're very pretty, but provide no insulation between the floors. That's how the smoke travels between the apartments. I can also hear every word of whatever TV show he's watching and understand every word of every conversation he has. It's really really obvious when I travel and am smacked in the face with cigarette smoke when I open my suitcase.
Quote:
You have exactly two choices IMO. Live with it and quit stirring the pot over petty shit or move somewhere else.

You're probably right, but it is definitely not petty shit when I've already spent money (hundreds on air purifiers) and will have to spend when I move (all our clothes and furniture will have to be cleaned) because of the smoke.

I put this post up because I wanted to find a reasonable, amicable solution. I really don't want to move, but if it comes to it, I guess that's my only real option.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post

I'd say just put up with it. If you're living in an apartment building there will always be some sort of problem/issue with at least one neighbour. On the scale of problems one has to put up with this sounds fairly minor.

Indeed, people can smoke in their living quarters, if the place is not well isolated and you're affected there are two choices:

1) You're a pussy, move to the countryside you're not made for city living
2) Smoke is excessive, the landlord should improve his fucking apartment.

In both cases your neighbor has absolutely not responsibility in this.
post #22 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

2) Smoke is excessive, the landlord should improve his fucking apartment.

Good point.
post #23 of 36
OK so you smoke but then you think you can complain about someone else who smokes? Pot? Kettle? All it takes is one article of clothing you smoked in to contaminate the whole closet and half the house.

I'm sorry, I made no assumption at all. I made a statement of fact. For smoke to travel through a ceiling into the area above you must have a pathway. Unless there are holes in the ceiling and adjoining floor it's not going to happen. That's where my shanty comment comes into play. Just because you can hear your neighbor means there is no insulation between the floor and ceiling and nothing more. It certainly has nothing to do with whether or not the area is an airtight barrier. Now all of this is moot if the air handling equipment is shared. If so then that could be the pathway I mentioned above.
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

OK so you smoke but then you think you can complain about someone else who smokes? Pot? Kettle? All it takes is one article of clothing you smoked in to contaminate the whole closet and half the house.

Please, there is a difference between the air being filled with smoke and one piece of clothing smelling like smoke. And I rarely smoke. Cigars on occasion, and every once in a while a cigarette. I don't smoke regularly as a habit.
Quote:
I'm sorry, I made no assumption at all. I made a statement of fact. For smoke to travel through a ceiling into the area above you must have a pathway. Unless there are holes in the ceiling and adjoining floor it's not going to happen. That's where my shanty comment comes into play. Just because you can hear your neighbor means there is no insulation between the floor and ceiling and nothing more. It certainly has nothing to do with whether or not the area is an airtight barrier. Now all of this is moot if the air handling equipment is shared. If so then that could be the pathway I mentioned above.

Statement of fact?! You've been in my apartment?!?!? If you haven't, then guess what, you made an assumption! There's a lot of room between "shanty" and "not an airtight barrier".
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Please, there is a difference between the air being filled with smoke and one piece of clothing smelling like smoke. And I rarely smoke. Cigars on occasion, and every once in a while a cigarette. I don't smoke regularly as a habit.
Statement of fact?! You've been in my apartment?!?!? If you haven't, then guess what, you made an assumption! There's a lot of room between "shanty" and "not an airtight barrier".

In your particular case , after explanation , you're entitled to complain to your landlord.

I made the same assumption than most of us you were living in a modernish building..

Wait for his answer...

He can have a word with your neighbour and tell you to make the choice of leaving if the situation is unsatisfactory.
post #26 of 36
Let's not forget the most important thing.

Smoking cigarettes makes you cool.
post #27 of 36
One thing I have never understood is given all the profits, resources, and know how accumulated over years of making cigarettes; the tobacco companies have not come up with a product that is proven not to be unhealthy let alone kill you. If they put their minds to it I am sure something could have been invented. Perhaps a cigarette that dispenses a series of vitamins and or other good stuff for you?
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedSADISTIC View Post

you say he's a nice guy, yet you've talked to him numerous times and he keeps doing it anyway? sounds like a dick to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

face speakers downward. turn on music at night. preferably death metal.


+1 to both of these posts!!!
post #29 of 36
Install a smoke alarm that has a sensor under your floor and sirens near his bedroom and storefront.

Then go on another business trip.
post #30 of 36
Don't know why he doesnt just smoke outside or blow the smoke out of a window. I used to smoke and only smoked a few times in my apartment. I would just go outside or on te rare occasion I wouujst blow the smoke out a window. Your neighbor sounds lazy and inconsiderate.

Even if I still smoked, if a neighbor's smoke seeped into my apartment I would be really annoyed. You should really bug your landlord. He should take care of this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › What should I do about my smoking neighbor?