or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pens in your shirt pocket: Anyone else consider it to part of their style?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pens in your shirt pocket: Anyone else consider it to part of their style? - Page 4

post #46 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

None of my shirts have chest pockets so I am safe there. The pen goes into the pen pocket inside my jacket.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero88 View Post



You use the words "low-end starter pens" so eloquently. I'd love to see your collection? I enjoy what I have and I work my way up as money and the right deals find their way to me. I just started collecting back in October of 2011 with a 25 cent Parker 51 I bought at an estate sale. So in 6 months to go from 25 cents to a collection I just had insured for well into the 5 figure range is plenty for me right now.

Believe me when I say that I know your type. I could have posted a picture of 15 Mont Blanc Writer's Editions and you would have still made the same comments. In fact, no matter what I posted, you probably would have had something to say about its insignificance. I suppose I should say it just to get it out of the way: "I'm not worthy" *Wayne's World Voice*


Typical sort of post....
-OP asks for advice..if anyone does this or ...
-SF responds..NO...
-OP gets upset and screams at SF....
post #47 of 97
Pens in shirt pocket?

313

420

124

No, it's not part of my style.
post #48 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

shirt pocket?
313
420
124
No, it's not part of my style.

FTFY!!
post #49 of 97
I prefer the placket approach
4_3_12_close.jpg

And this is a cheap as shit hero 100. Perhaps the best pen I have ever used.

Noodler luxury blue.
post #50 of 97
I carry a simple cross pen in my shirt pocket at work. Never have I had a leakage problem and I get compliments from clients on occasion. If it fits your job why not have one or two?
post #51 of 97
I switched my Pilot demonstrator to Aurora black for the time being. I was using Iroshizuku fuyu-gaki (Winter Persimmon) which is a rich orange red ink. It drove people bonkers but I like the color so oh well. I'm going to order up a bottle of the Iroshizuku Cerulean Blue. Someone I know uses it and it's a nice vibrant blue.
post #52 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I'm wondering if anyone here frequently flies with their pens in their pockets.
It's been a long time since I kept fountain pens - but when I did I found that even the 'better' brands were not immune to massive leakage with changes in air pressure. (Mont Blanc being the brand in question.)

Too much of a pain in the ass. I switch to a rollerball for plane flights, plus I kept worrying that my visconti travelling ink pot would get confiscated by TSA.
post #53 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero88 View Post



Those are fair statements and questions. I will give a bit more background info on my situation. As said, I'm a financial advisor. I spend a great deal of time out of the office, driving in my car, etc. As a result, it's main importance for being in my pocket is convenience as I write a ton every day. I began wearing pens in my pocket much more often after people would randomly come up to me and ask me about them. I love Mont Blancs because they're easy to spot and because you can generally start an easy conversation with a stranger over them (something very valuable in my line of work). It may be a faux pas to some, but my general mission is to change that and that's why I generally carry a pen more expensive than most people's watches.

They wouldn't be that easy to spot if they're in your shirt pocket under your jacket though would they?

OP you said you're a "financial adviser". TBH I wouldn't be very comfortable dealing with a financial adviser that likes showing off'/brand whoring with his expensive toys. I'd be thinking,...so that's where my money is going.
Edited by MikeDT - 4/10/12 at 6:53pm
post #54 of 97

You seem to be obsessed with MontBlanc. The ones you have chosen to show in your photograph are

low end starter pens. You mention that you like a MontBlanc, because it is easily identified by people, making it easy

to start a conversation. Anyone who would start a conversation with a stranger, regarding a basic MontBlanc pen, obviously

does not know much about fine pens. If you want to start a real conversation, try buying limited edition Michel Perchin,

David Oscarson, S T Dupont, Omas, or Krone. People who can identify these brands in a shirt pocket, will be much more

interesting to talk to, rather than the person who is impressed by the MontBlanc logo on a starter pen.

post #55 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloboy View Post

You seem to be obsessed with MontBlanc. The ones you have chosen to show in your photograph are
low end starter pens. You mention that you like a MontBlanc, because it is easily identified by people, making it easy
to start a conversation. Anyone who would start a conversation with a stranger, regarding a basic MontBlanc pen, obviously
does not know much about fine pens. If you want to start a real conversation, try buying limited edition Michel Perchin,
David Oscarson, S T Dupont, Omas, or Krone. People who can identify these brands in a shirt pocket, will be much more
interesting to talk to, rather than the person who is impressed by the MontBlanc logo on a starter pen.

or if you want to be a bad ass collect only vintage prototypes.
post #56 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

Damnit, now you've got me thinking about which colour inks would be SF-approved. Black, like suits, would obviously be out of the question, but the standard blue biro-like colour is too common and cheap looking. I think one acceptable colour would be a deep midnight blue. Obviously brighter colours would be allowed in certain situation, but would not be acceptable for CBD rotflmao.gif
+1

+2. No dress shirts with pockets here.
post #57 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloboy View Post

You seem to be obsessed with MontBlanc. The ones you have chosen to show in your photograph are
low end starter pens. You mention that you like a MontBlanc, because it is easily identified by people, making it easy
to start a conversation. Anyone who would start a conversation with a stranger, regarding a basic MontBlanc pen, obviously
does not know much about fine pens. If you want to start a real conversation, try buying limited edition Michel Perchin,
David Oscarson, S T Dupont, Omas, or Krone. People who can identify these brands in a shirt pocket, will be much more
interesting to talk to, rather than the person who is impressed by the MontBlanc logo on a starter pen.
Given your point of view, may I assume that the sport referenced in your member name refers to that played on horseback and not the mass market retailer? That said, I do understand your point ... although would probably have put it differently.
post #58 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero88 View Post

It's a pretty similar feeling when you sign a $1mm check with a $1000 pen. And please let's not turn this into a wiener swinging contest.

Ironic post.
Pockets on dress shirts look shit.
No comment on Mont Blanc.
Do you drive a 3 series or C class?
post #59 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post

Ironic post.
Pockets on dress shirts look shit.
No comment on Mont Blanc.
Do you drive a 3 series or C class?

Haha, I knew this would eventually develop onto a car thread... biggrin.gif
post #60 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post

Do you drive a 3 series or C class?
The CL isn't bad. But to quote a 'gentleman' I talked to in Hong Kong: "I no like Mercedes S or CL Class. Mercedes is for maid and gardner. I drive Maybach."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pens in your shirt pocket: Anyone else consider it to part of their style?