Related Forum Threads
- **PRICE DROP** Vintage Shell Cordovan Florsheim Imperial Longwings 9C (US) (shipping included) Last post on 2/8/12 at 8:02pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:56 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Edge Dressing (?) and Vintage Shell Cordovan!!!
Styleforum Top Picks
I recently bought a pair of vintage Florsheim SC v-cleat longwings in pretty nice condition, the original heel is hardly even worn down much. Only problem, somebody tried to apply edge dressing to the soles and got a little (lot) sloppy with the stuff. I'm assuming that this was done in an attempt to make the soles look fresher for an ebay auction (why oh why?) so it wouldn't be very old in that case. Regardless, what do I do. I read a thread suggesting Afta, now called Guardsman, but does the same rule apply to Shell? Shell experts, please weigh in.
meh. i wouldnt worry about it. wear em.
As a child.
My father also wore them, or Johnston and Murphy. I SWORE I would never touch those old fuddy duddy shoes.
Imagine my chagrin now that they are back in style.
I have a similar pair but in pebble grain tan. When I had topys applied the cobbler "touched up" the edge dressing with a dark brown/black edge dressing. I tried to remove it with acetone and it didn't make a bit of difference. I have found that edge dressing on these shoes makes them look clunkier than they already do and was determined to remove it.
Here is what worked for me. I took a fine grit sandpaper and was able to sand off the dressing leaving the natural leather grain visible. Then I applied some Saphir reno to mositurize the leather now that it was exposed. Then I added a few coats of Saphir wax - it seems to repel Pacific NW rain pretty well so far. The leather grain looks great and I have not noticed any problems.
Keep in mind that this was on the sole edges and I would not recommend ever taking sandpaper to any other part of shoe leather.
Just posted this thread to his "official" thread!
Thanks for all the constructive help so far. Yes indeed, I think vintage Florsheim are required eventually. I have no problem with following in my father's footsteps though. In fact, my grandfather ordered (from a catalog!) shoes from Mason in Wisconsin because they were the only ones who fit him the way he liked. (This on a factory salary in N.C.) I kinda keep my eyes open for vintage Mason just as an homage, but that's another thread.
If nothing better is suggested I will probably just wear them as is (it is low enough down that it might go unnoticed) but I'd really like to get it off if I can.
- Edge Dressing (?) and Vintage Shell Cordovan!!!
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 5 seconds ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 30 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › tailors in seoul korea? 8 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 9 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 12 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.