Related Forum Threads
- **PRICE DROP** Vintage Shell Cordovan Florsheim Imperial Longwings 9C (US) (shipping included) Last post on 2/8/12 at 8:02pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 12:52 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Is shell cordovan a better option than calf for rainy days?
Last edited: 3/24/16
- How to identify shell cordovan leather?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Edge Dressing (?) and Vintage Shell Cordovan!!!post #1 of 314/9/12 at 11:43amThread StarterI recently bought a pair of vintage Florsheim SC v-cleat longwings in pretty nice condition, the original heel is hardly even worn down much. Only problem, somebody tried to apply edge dressing to the soles and got a little (lot) sloppy with the stuff. I'm assuming that this was done in an attempt to make the soles look fresher for an ebay auction (why oh why?) so it wouldn't be very old in that case. Regardless, what do I do. I read a thread suggesting Afta, now called Guardsman, but does the same rule apply to Shell? Shell experts, please weigh in.
post #2 of 314/9/12 at 12:04pmpost #3 of 314/9/12 at 12:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by mikeH
I recently bought a pair of vintage Florsheim SC v-cleat longwings in pretty nice condition, the original heel is hardly even worn down much. Only problem, somebody tried to apply edge dressing to the soles and got a little (lot) sloppy with the stuff. I'm assuming that this was done in an attempt to make the soles look fresher for an ebay auction (why oh why?) so it wouldn't be very old in that case. Regardless, what do I do. I read a thread suggesting Afta, now called Guardsman, but does the same rule apply to Shell? Shell experts, please weigh in.
meh. i wouldnt worry about it. wear em.post #4 of 314/9/12 at 1:34pmpost #5 of 314/9/12 at 1:37pmpost #6 of 314/9/12 at 2:08pmpost #7 of 314/9/12 at 2:11pmQuote:
As a child.
My father also wore them, or Johnston and Murphy. I SWORE I would never touch those old fuddy duddy shoes.
Imagine my chagrin now that they are back in style.post #8 of 314/9/12 at 3:02pm
I have a similar pair but in pebble grain tan. When I had topys applied the cobbler "touched up" the edge dressing with a dark brown/black edge dressing. I tried to remove it with acetone and it didn't make a bit of difference. I have found that edge dressing on these shoes makes them look clunkier than they already do and was determined to remove it.
Here is what worked for me. I took a fine grit sandpaper and was able to sand off the dressing leaving the natural leather grain visible. Then I applied some Saphir reno to mositurize the leather now that it was exposed. Then I added a few coats of Saphir wax - it seems to repel Pacific NW rain pretty well so far. The leather grain looks great and I have not noticed any problems.
Keep in mind that this was on the sole edges and I would not recommend ever taking sandpaper to any other part of shoe leather.post #9 of 314/9/12 at 3:06pmpost #10 of 314/9/12 at 3:19pmpost #11 of 314/9/12 at 4:14pmpost #12 of 314/9/12 at 7:50pmThread Starter
Just posted this thread to his "official" thread!
Thanks for all the constructive help so far. Yes indeed, I think vintage Florsheim are required eventually. I have no problem with following in my father's footsteps though. In fact, my grandfather ordered (from a catalog!) shoes from Mason in Wisconsin because they were the only ones who fit him the way he liked. (This on a factory salary in N.C.) I kinda keep my eyes open for vintage Mason just as an homage, but that's another thread.
If nothing better is suggested I will probably just wear them as is (it is low enough down that it might go unnoticed) but I'd really like to get it off if I can.post #13 of 314/9/12 at 7:51pmpost #14 of 314/9/12 at 8:23pmpost #15 of 314/9/12 at 8:32pm
- How to identify shell cordovan leather?
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 24 seconds ago
- › Narrow feet 26 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 57 seconds ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 1 minute ago
- › Newc's Bespoke Adventure. 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › S.E.H Kelly 6 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...