or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black Shirt with Black Suit. I have to get this off my chest.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black Shirt with Black Suit. I have to get this off my chest. - Page 5

post #61 of 133

I like this forum more an more already and it doesn't hurt that many of you are helping to confirm that I'm not alone with some of my tastes.

 

Contrasting collars-IN THE RIGHT SETTING, it looks baller as hell. I own a few light blue/lilac contrast collar shirts and with a dark suit, it stands out a ton in a business atmosphere. With that said, I would never wear one out to a party/club/social gathering

 

Pinstripes-I'd leave them for the office. Again, I love them and half my suits have pinstripes, but they're for business. The only time I'd consider them is with some of the modern brand companies. Ralph Lauren makes a reasonably priced pinstripe suit. The pinstripes are about 1/4" apart and close enough to not give the "investment banker" look.

 

If it were me:

I'd wear a black suit, make sure my tailor cuts the hell out of it so it's perfect.

I'd do a light colored or white shirt tailored to me

and a bright bright tie that stands out. That's more my personality though.

 

If I wanted to stand out even more:

Navy suit

White checkered patterned dress shirt

Bright color dot pattern tie or other tie pattern that contrasts the shirt

light brown Brown shoes/belt

 

Just remember, that you can make a $200 suit look better than a $2000 suit with proper tailoring.

post #62 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

who wants to dress like a bank manager? Or Donald Trump?

I wouldn't want to dress like Trump Sr, but to be fair Don Jr actually dresses pretty well; his ties are always nicely dimpled...
post #63 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

If you're going to do a black suit/black shirt, go for a lighter shade of tie.  I would think basic red, royal blue, or maybe a medium purple would work.  Anyone else?



I'd go for a lighter shade of tie as well to balance the look.

post #64 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezj2567 View Post


I appreciate all this constructive feedback, it's good to hear all this especially considering I haven't put pictures up. I will very soon. Waiting on my tailor.


Needsmoreshoes - 
That has been a consistent theme, the "wait staff" mistake. It's something I've been taking to heart throughout this. Something I've found consistent in all the pics even those with celebrities is that they are wearing it casually or going out to a club, not to anything formal for the most part.


Needsmoreshoes - 

I'm starting to lean off the black shirt a bit and checking out other ideas. I do not know the technical term for this kind of shirt, but it's Donald Trump and the collar and cuffs are white while the shirt is of a different color (right now grey or light blue), those are the other ideas I'm entertaining as of current.


CJG_NYC - 
Those pictures were the most helpful to put the whole idea of black on black in perspective, it's clear that nearly all of those were is casual/informal settings regardless. I beginning to understand the opposite side of the story from all this and why it may not be the preferred choice. It makes sense on the simple point that it is just unimaginative on that sole purpose alone.


 
Unbelragazzo - 

I like this the most, it makes sense to throw in contrast and prevent a floating tie appearance. I had never considered how the tie would stand out (or float) in this particular situation. I'm slowly starting to get a better comprehension of the necessity of contrast in the very least. It would just always seem that the black on black was a very strong proponent because it was slimming and seemed powerful, at least to me.

Quadcammer - 

Eloquent, but accurate. I've always tried to break into it on my own and I figure to ask for a hand in it, so yeah the confidence in the suit is a little lacking and that's why I came here. I do not know what you mean by FC. As I said before, I'm looking at these Donald Trump shirts that have a white collar and cuffs while the shirt is a different color. I was thinking if I was going to go along with that, then I would have a white PS and silver cuff links and tie bar. Should I go through with a boutonniere or is that overdoing it?

 
Plei89 - 
I will be placing them up soon!


 
Also, where the hell do I find nice cuff links and tie bar? I don't have the largest budget so I've been mainly going through retail, but I have found nothing I like at all.
 
And why is my message held back in moderation because I'm new? It's impossible to post when I want to.


try www.thetiebar.com for the cufflinks, tie, and tie bars. They are inexpensive, but i've found the quality to be pretty good.

As for the contrast collar shirt, I would avoid it. A) its typically seen as being more for business; and b) you come off looking like a wanna be gordon gekko, which may or may not be your thing.
post #65 of 133
Thread Starter 

To be completely frank concerning the "contrast collar" shirts, I thought they came off as odd too. I just thought the contrast looked nice cause then I could wear a white PS and it would match with just the cuff and collar, which I thought was cool. But something around the neck when I buttoned it up just seemed off for a formal setting. I'll agree with most of you on that. I'll check out that site for tie bars since I was going for a more classical look anyways other than the ones I find in retail that really aren't that good. And I know it's cause I haven't put it up yet, I'll put up pics later tomorrow night cause I want to have my full suit and shirt options up for critique, but the pinstripes really aren't that defined, they are quite light on the black backing so I don't feel like it should be much of an issue. Maybe I'm wrong.

post #66 of 133
OP, it's a college formal, right? Consider that everyone else will undoubtedly be poorly dressed and wasted; they will not be impressed or scornful of whatever you wear. Consider also that you're graduating soon, so there's no need to impress those people that are not your friends - if they don't know and like you after 4 years together, they're not going to know and like you based on what you wore at the graduation formal. And your friends are your friends no matter what you wear.

That said, you can still put your best foot forward. The advice has been unanimous that a black shirt is a bad idea, and that a white shirt (no contrast collar) is the most appropriate and best-looking shirt to wear with a black suit. You are clearly overthinking this and torturing yourself in attempting to go through some kind of thought evolution on what to wear with a black suit. You can either take the advice or not: it's your clothing, after all. I would agree with everyone else: pick out a nice white shirt and a simple, classy tie and be done with it. Forget a flower and forget a tie bar. Go have a few beers with your friends and enjoy your last few weeks of college.

EDIT: I just want to make sure I'm not coming across as harsh or anything like that. It just seems that OP may be burning an unnecessary amount of mental energy thinking about what to wear and I think he could benefit from a different perspective.
Edited by viator - 4/10/12 at 10:05am
post #67 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post

OP, it's a college formal, right? Consider that everyone else will undoubtedly be poorly dressed and wasted; they will not be impressed or scornful of whatever you wear. Consider also that you're graduating soon, so there's no need to impress those people that are not your friends - if they don't know and like you after 4 years together, they're not going to know and like you based on what you wore at the graduation formal. And your friends are your friends no matter what you wear.

That said, you can still put your best foot forward. The advice has been unanimous that a black shirt is a bad idea, and that a white shirt (no contrast collar) is the most appropriate and best-looking shirt to wear with a black suit. You are clearly overthinking this and torturing yourself in attempting to go through some kind of thought evolution on what to wear with a black suit. You can either take the advice or not: it's your clothing, after all. I would agree with everyone else: pick out a nice white shirt and a simple, classy tie and be done with it. Forget a flower and forget a tie bar. Go have a few beers with your friends and enjoy your last few weeks of college.

EDIT: I just want to make sure I'm not coming across as harsh or anything like that. It just seems that OP may be burning an unnecessary amount of mental energy thinking about what to wear and I think he could benefit from a different perspective.

I get what you're saying and I never thought you were being harsh, just honest, and I appreciate that considerably. It has been on my mind recently considering the short break I was just on and this graduation thing has turned into an ordeal for the family since we've concentrated on making it just right. It's started to take on a life of it's own to a degree. To be frank, like I'm sure anyone else here can sympathize as well, there's one particular girl I want to impress (if she decides to go) so while I understand that simplicity may be the best route, I want to try and stand out as best as I can. At the same time, I'm taking this opportunity to learn different terminology and styles from this forum so I have some kind of idea of what I'm talking about and what is appropriate when and where without having to consult others as I get older. Black on black, prior to this conversation, just always made sense to me, without this forum to discuss it, I wouldn't have come to the conclusion on my own as to why it doesn't make sense in most situations. It's the last few weeks of college, and I have other shit to worry about, especially just having fun. I just want to make sure I leave with my own sense of style, at least more mature to some form, and know I left with my best foot forward. This is how I talk through that.
 

 

post #68 of 133
Even if no one else notices, it's still worth going to the effort to look your best as it will give you more confidence and pride. But there's no need to reinvent the wheel. You don't want something that makes somebody say, "oh look at the great threads that guy has" you want something that makes people say, "that guy looks great, confident, and like he's having a good time." Wear a nice, clean, pressed, white shirt, a well-fitting dark suit, a classic tie, and a smile, and you will surely achieve this.
post #69 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezj2567 View Post

I get what you're saying and I never thought you were being harsh, just honest, and I appreciate that considerably. It has been on my mind recently considering the short break I was just on and this graduation thing has turned into an ordeal for the family since we've concentrated on making it just right. It's started to take on a life of it's own to a degree. To be frank, like I'm sure anyone else here can sympathize as well, there's one particular girl I want to impress (if she decides to go) so while I understand that simplicity may be the best route, I want to try and stand out as best as I can. At the same time, I'm taking this opportunity to learn different terminology and styles from this forum so I have some kind of idea of what I'm talking about and what is appropriate when and where without having to consult others as I get older. Black on black, prior to this conversation, just always made sense to me, without this forum to discuss it, I wouldn't have come to the conclusion on my own as to why it doesn't make sense in most situations. It's the last few weeks of college, and I have other shit to worry about, especially just having fun. I just want to make sure I leave with my own sense of style, at least more mature to some form, and know I left with my best foot forward. This is how I talk through that.

 

Cheers to you for keeping an open mind and not getting defensive when others disagree with your perceptions. Theres been plenty of those that frequent this forum, and those conversations descend into anarchy fairly quickly.

Best of luck to you.
post #70 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profacio View Post


Cheers to you for keeping an open mind and not getting defensive when others disagree with your perceptions. Theres been plenty of those that frequent this forum, and those conversations descend into anarchy fairly quickly.
Best of luck to you.


I feel like, while we are guided by our own vices for our own reasons, there's truth that can be found in other's opinions. Even if it's laden with sarcasm, there's always something to it. Thank you very much, I don't deserve praise though. I came here just wanting to learn. You are very kind, hopefully I"ll figure out what I want! I'm clearly indecisive. =P

 

post #71 of 133
OP,

My advice to you is to go try on 3 or 4 combinations and take pictures of yourself.

For some reason I've found that looking in a mirror makes it harder for me to really decide how something looks, especially with fit. Snap them from a few angles in good lighting, and take a long hard look at yourself.

For me, the dark/dark/crazy contrast tie (red especially) just screams "I am trying sooooo hard to be a badass. Look at me!" I absolutely despise the look.

As others have said, don't try to match a pocket square with anything else either, or you'll come off as too matchy-matchy.

It's weird, because when you go to the store and want to dress up, the last thing on your mind is "I need a boring white or light blue shirt.". However, paired with a great fitting suit, you can't beat the look.

Yes, a few celebs can pull off a more aggressive look, but that's because they are famous, have great looks, and would make almost anything look good. You are not that person.

This forum is a bit of an echo chamber on some stupid points. For example:
- the hate for black shoes - I prefer brown, but 75% of people here in DC are walking around in black shoes
- a justification for higher prices with "quality", claiming that items will last 10x longer.
- belief that more than 1% of people will notice the difference between a $600 suit and a $2000 suit

In this particular case, they are spot on. Dark/dark is just not a good look for most people.
post #72 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Color coordination aside, I would focus on fit first.  If your suit is tailored for you before you lost weight, think about having it altered.  Getting the colors right won't help if the suit doesn't fit. 



I completely agree. Fit matters above all else.

post #73 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesny View Post



I completely agree. Fit matters above all else.



We've already tailored the pants, just a matter of me cutting down a few more pounds and finishing up the final details of the jacket. Overall the fit is good though.

post #74 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesny View Post



I completely agree. Fit matters above all else.



The pants are finished, I just need to lose a few more pounds and the jacket will be perfect, but overall it fits well. 

post #75 of 133
Thread Starter 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesny View Post



I completely agree. Fit matters above all else.



The pants are finished, I just need to lose a few more pounds and the jacket will be perfect, but overall it fits well. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black Shirt with Black Suit. I have to get this off my chest.