or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron - Page 53

post #781 of 875

Got a nice delivery of Horween Dark Green Shell Cordovan and made a card holder out of it.

 

post #782 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

sold out. someone got it. hope it was you

Was way out of my pay grade at the moment for a briefcase. I really have to wonder if the material costs of quality shell really is that high to warrant the $5K price tag they were asking. If you have that kind of cash to spend on a briefcase you could shop at Hermes.
Edited by Jr Mouse - 7/7/16 at 8:10am
post #783 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post


Was way out of my pay grade at the moment for a briefcase. I really have to wonder if the material costs of quality shell really is that high to warrant the $5K price tag they were asking. If you have that kind of cash to spend on a briefcase you could shop at Hermes.

 

It is. 5 large shells (which is what the maker said he had to use) from Horween are generally around 2.75 square feet.

 

2.75 * 5 * $105 per sq. ft. = $1,443.75 just in shell cordovan. With all the other required materials, I would say it is closer to $1,750 for everything.

It took him 60 hours to make... assume $40 / hour so about $2,400 for labor. I know some people would argue it is "free" labor since it is one guy doing it but as a maker, you still need to charge for labor. $40 / hour might be low too.

 

I think the craftsman (and retailers) margin isn't going to be as high as you think for something like this. With labor and materials, you're getting close to $3,900 on a $5,000 briefcase. That isn't a wild mark up in my opinion. Seems reasonable.

post #784 of 875
Context made their cut too.
post #785 of 875

@Deusis that green is BEAUTIFUL!!! I am going to have to check out your shop. 

post #786 of 875

Does anyone have any experience with Ashland Leather's Bugs Moran? I saw a drop on Massdrop that has around 150 requests and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback. Having used the Louis Little New York for a bit I am quite intrigued by the Bugs although I am a bit worried about the thickness in comparison. 

 

 

post #787 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsaphic View Post
 

Does anyone have any experience with Ashland Leather's Bugs Moran? I saw a drop on Massdrop that has around 150 requests and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback. Having used the Louis Little New York for a bit I am quite intrigued by the Bugs although I am a bit worried about the thickness in comparison. 

 

 

No direct hands on experience but Ashland makes quality stuff. I wouldn't be too worried about that model being very bulky. From what I've seen, they only select an appropriate thickness for all of their wallets. They also have access to some pretty sweet and unique colors!

post #788 of 875

New wallet arrived last night..

 

Workmanship looks good. Cutting, stitching, edge finishing all on point.. How it will last can only tell in the years to come

The Shinki shell cordovan stains a tad easily with my sweaty palms though, nothing permanent but I'm still hoping this gets better as the leather wears in

 

Office lighting and my terrible photog skillz do not do the wallet justice..

 

Thanks @Deusis

 

post #789 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emospence View Post
 

New wallet arrived last night..

 

Workmanship looks good. Cutting, stitching, edge finishing all on point.. How it will last can only tell in the years to come

The Shinki shell cordovan stains a tad easily with my sweaty palms though, nothing permanent but I'm still hoping this gets better as the leather wears in

 

Office lighting and my terrible photog skillz do not do the wallet justice..

 

Thanks @Deusis

 

 

Glad you like it!

 

Here is a Horween Natural Shell Cordovan wallet I put together last night. I did something a little different and added a thumb slot modification to an additional back slot. It'll allow the person to get their metro card out a lot easier.

 

post #790 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emospence View Post
 

New wallet arrived last night..

 

Workmanship looks good. Cutting, stitching, edge finishing all on point.. How it will last can only tell in the years to come

The Shinki shell cordovan stains a tad easily with my sweaty palms though, nothing permanent but I'm still hoping this gets better as the leather wears in

 

Office lighting and my terrible photog skillz do not do the wallet justice..

 

Thanks @Deusis

 

 

Glad you like it!

 

Here is a Horween Natural Shell Cordovan wallet I put together last night. I did something a little different and added a thumb slot modification to an additional back slot. It'll allow the person to get their metro card out a lot easier.


Guess it went to a fellow New Yorker. I used to carry mine in a Saddleback leather card holder (until I lost it) that had a little cut out at the bottom that allowed you to push it out bout 1.5cm. I switched to using a Coach card holder I had lying around and actually found that it slips out easier when you keep it in the horizontal slot that you have opposite the vertical slot.
acac7d21900b36e48ef07ef3123fbb98.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #791 of 875

Some pix of my Italian Whiskey shell money clip that I got from Deusis. Thanks, mang! Came out great :fonz:

 

 

YfTbT4N.jpg

Natural light. No flash shots:WWfztgn.jpg ez89Jdi.jpg

Natural light. With flash:dWrty5T.jpg

Full on sunlight shot:Wz3C0DY.jpg

post #792 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post

Some pix of my Italian Whiskey shell money clip that I got from Deusis. Thanks, mang! Came out great fing02%5B1%5D.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Inside pic?
post #793 of 875

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post


Inside pic?

 

Here are a few I took:

 

post #794 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusis View Post

H

Here are a few I took:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Nice, thanks Deusis!
post #795 of 875
Montgomery Leather Works currently has a sale going on on their site. This Italian Burgandy shell is $150 with an additional 10% for firsttime buyers which is pretty darn nice considering I've heard nothing but good things about their products. I would jump on that deal but I'm just not a billfold kind of gal though I am sure some of you might be interested!
Edited by classicsaphic - 7/11/16 at 2:15pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron