or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quintessential/most beautiful Oxford plain cap shoes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quintessential/most beautiful Oxford plain cap shoes?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I read here http://herrskobloggen.blogspot.se/ that if I own only one pair of fine shoes it should be a pair of black Oxford plain cap shoes. I will travel from Sweden to London to buy such pair of shoes, but as I am newbie to the subject of fine shoes, I turn to the expertise in this forum for advice.

 

(1) Who makes the quintessential ready to wear black Oxford plain cap shoes?

 

(2) Who makes the most beautiful ready to wear black Oxford plain cap shoes?

 

I realize I must try the shoes before I buy to see they fit my feet.

 

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions!

 

Philip

post #2 of 12
Edward Green does. In my opinion, that is also shared by many other men, Edward Green makes the finest RTW shoes in the world. Their Cap Toe Oxford is called the "Chelsea", and it is made RTW in two lasts, the 202 and the 82. My personal preference goes to the Chelsea in the 82 last.
The difference between the 82 and 202 is that the 82 has a more narrow/pointed toe box compared to the 202. The 202 is classic/traditional last that can look a bit clunky on the smaller sizes (UK8 and smaller), while the 82 looks sleek on all sizes.

I would advise you to try the Edward Green black on both the 82 and 202 a get which one you like most. Her is a picture of the Edward Green Chelsea on the 202 last:

233

233
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvl View Post

Edward Green does. In my opinion, that is also shared by many other men, Edward Green makes the finest RTW shoes in the world. Their Cap Toe Oxford is called the "Chelsea", and it is made RTW in two lasts, the 202 and the 82. My personal preference goes to the Chelsea in the 82 last.
The difference between the 82 and 202 is that the 82 has a more narrow/pointed toe box compared to the 202. The 202 is classic/traditional last that can look a bit clunky on the smaller sizes (UK8 and smaller), while the 82 looks sleek on all sizes.
I would advise you to try the Edward Green black on both the 82 and 202 a get which one you like most. Her is a picture of the Edward Green Chelsea on the 202 last:
233
233

+1. IMHO the EG Chelsea on the 202 is the quintessential black cap toe.
post #4 of 12
Have to agree that EG Chelsea on the 202 is pretty much the definitive one, but for me the John Lobb City II is the one, just ahead of the EG Chelsea on the 82 or the G&G Oxford on the DG70. They rest of the RTW captoes don't compare.
post #5 of 12

suggest u use 'search' function as this question has been asked and answered before.  IIRC the winner was the Vass F last Old English-  it's MTO, and as a handmade shoe is better value than the EG.   IMO go a burgundy/deep red not black.  Waaaaaay more versatile.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQFK8PenDjkFVG2z0nBZX2SdIha-l_s6De4dLFgaAbF8ntT2Imiw100_1385 (2).JPGimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC7arah60d04JkpPJKkkriGRShtvz0DCwIhcgID6LpYZSCsFwUng
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipArnold24 View Post

I read here http://herrskobloggen.blogspot.se/ that if I own only one pair of fine shoes it should be a pair of black Oxford plain cap shoes. I will travel from Sweden to London to buy such pair of shoes, but as I am newbie to the subject of fine shoes, I turn to the expertise in this forum for advice.

 

(1) Who makes the quintessential ready to wear black Oxford plain cap shoes?

 

(2) Who makes the most beautiful ready to wear black Oxford plain cap shoes?

 

I realize I must try the shoes before I buy to see they fit my feet.

 

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions!

 

Philip



 

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

+1. IMHO the EG Chelsea on the 202 is the quintessential black cap toe.

he's looking for a plain toe...
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

he's looking for a plain toe...

 

The title says plain cap, which I take to mean a captoe with no brogueing.
 

 

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post


The title says plain cap, which I take to mean a captoe with no brogueing.

 

mebbe you're right.
post #9 of 12
You can get Crockett and Jones handgrade in Sweden, no need to travel to London...

http://www.crockettandjones.se/handgrade.html#1
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipArnold24 View Post

I read here http://herrskobloggen.blogspot.se/ that if I own only one pair of fine shoes it should be a pair of black Oxford plain cap shoes. I will travel from Sweden to London to buy such pair of shoes, but as I am newbie to the subject of fine shoes, I turn to the expertise in this forum for advice.

(1) Who makes the quintessential ready to wear black Oxford plain cap shoes?

(2) Who makes the most beautiful ready to wear black Oxford plain cap shoes?

I realize I must try the shoes before I buy to see they fit my feet.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Philip



...

John Lobb City II or even the Philip II although it is a punch cap.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvl View Post

Edward Green does. In my opinion, that is also shared by many other men, Edward Green makes the finest RTW shoes in the world.



Umm...no.

That being said, there are a lot of contenders and it will come down to personal preference and fit of the shoe.

Nobody can count out: Vass, St. Crispin, John Lobb, G&G, EG, and probably some other that I am not thinking of right now. The only shoe that will be the best is one that is bespoke for your feet only.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

Barker Aaron.jpg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quintessential/most beautiful Oxford plain cap shoes?