or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Ethics of photographing the homeless
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ethics of photographing the homeless - Page 3

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

What are you, a first year at Wellesley? If you want to shoot tired, pretentious subject matter, just take pictures of your feet. Problem solved.

263
post #32 of 56
Cute feet.
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

263

The left one has more veins than my cock..
Edited by lasbar - 4/4/12 at 10:11am
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

The left one has more veins than my cock..

Those aren't veins, you need to study anatomy a little bit, it just means the left foot is tense/in movement. It's actually a screen cap from a Miranda July (she's a contemporary artist) movie where she moves both feet near then far from each other symbolizing the shifting nature of attraction/repulsion between her character and someone else, I just wanted to tease Mordecai by posting something from a well known artist who filmed/photographied her feet.
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

The left one has more veins than my cock..

So very few veins right?
post #36 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

So very few veins right?

We aren't all equally blessed.
post #37 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Those aren't veins, you need to study anatomy a little bit, it just means the left foot is tense/in movement. It's actually a screen cap from a Miranda July (she's a contemporary artist) movie where she moves both feet near then far from each other symbolizing the shifting nature of attraction/repulsion between her character and someone else, I just wanted to tease Mordecai by posting something from a well known artist who filmed/photographied her feet.

In that case, isn't it sort of banal to label them "You" and "Me"? I often find the use of words in visual art an off-putting cop-out.
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

In that case, isn't it sort of banal to label them "You" and "Me"? I often find the use of words in visual art an off-putting cop-out.

You'd hate Miranda July, I'm not a super-fan myself to be honest...
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

, I just wanted to tease Mordecai by posting something from a well known artist who filmed/photographied her feet.

I was in the LA production of THINGS WE DON’T UNDERSTAND AND DEFINITELY ARE NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT tongue.gif

She is smaller than Calista Flockhart.
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

I was in the LA production of THINGS WE DON’T UNDERSTAND AND DEFINITELY ARE NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT tongue.gif
She is smaller than Calista Flockhart.

haha, fun trivia. Her films are good, I just can't abide with all her writing on things stuff, it's art you post on facebook. This forum being what it is I thought a joke about her would pretty much be an inside, which I guess it is...
post #41 of 56
Agree. Her art is bad and her recordings are terrible. She isn't really taken seriously. She exists with Mike Mills, Harrell Fletcher, Mark Borthwick, et al in the sentimental/precious guilty pleasure area of her artworld peers between contemporary art (Banks Violette and Sterling Ruby) and popular street art (Shepperd Fairey and Banksy). I think some artists get paid attention to here that might not elsewhere, due to the LA obsession with dramatic celebrities. Jeremy Blake and Theresa Duncan are good examples...the most tragic at least. Anyways, Miranda July and Harrell Fletcher apparently used to show up drunk at parties and get into huge public fights that would involve them hitting each other and her flashing strangers. Just what I've heard.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Agree. Her art is bad and her recordings are terrible. She isn't really taken seriously. She exists with Mike Mills, Harrell Fletcher, Mark Borthwick, et al in the sentimental/precious guilty pleasure area of her artworld peers between contemporary art (Banks Violette and Sterling Ruby) and popular street art (Shepperd Fairey and Banksy). I think some artists get paid attention to here that might not elsewhere, due to the LA obsession with dramatic celebrities. Jeremy Blake and Theresa Duncan are good examples...the most tragic at least. Anyways, Miranda July and Harrell Fletcher apparently used to show up drunk at parties and get into huge public fights that would involve them hitting each other and her flashing strangers. Just what I've heard.

Involvment in the film world also helps, I mean more than 1% of the population actually cares about films enough to see stuff beside absolute certified classics with 40 yrs or more of recognition (kinda funny art is the other way around). Blake and Duncan were also a really good looking couple, which is a plus in LA (and elsewhere). I don't see much of a popular street art connection with July though, care to explain that positioning? BTW Sterling Ruby isn't shitty, in case that was your point (don't think it was).

Since we derailed: Foo, you seem to have handled the situation quite correctly, cheers.
post #43 of 56
I was just drawing a spectrum of respect within a certain age group of artists. contemporary at top and street art at bottom. sort of a kitsch-avant garde thing really, despite all the dismissal of greenberg. i like ruby and violette.
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

I was just drawing a spectrum of respect within a certain age group of artists. contemporary at top and street art at bottom. sort of a kitsch-avant garde thing really, despite all the dismissal of greenberg. i like ruby and violette.

Ok, makes sense, although I'd say a discussion of kitsch and camp is really something that was a a much greater concern some time ago, be it found in the writings of Greenberg, Sontag or even Kundera. It is also quite distressing that art is such a minority concern that most of the good one just end up being like meaningful gestures made in the dark. Who cares if someone that was already salivating over the stuff is, once again, creaming his Prada pants in joy?
post #45 of 56
))<>((
Forever
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Ethics of photographing the homeless