or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › In Praise (but also Suspicion) of Patterned Pants
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In Praise (but also Suspicion) of Patterned Pants - Page 2

post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

SF's master of the crazy pants is edmorel:

Indeed. There's another photo somewhere of ed with multicolored tartans, navy blazer and gray wool tie which is great. I like the look and have a couple pair, but I've relegated them to winter holiday festivities. I get a lot of "nice pants" comments (both sarcastic and genuine) whenever I wear them, and I'm not always in the mood for that.

I'm not really keen on the subtle plaid odd pants. They always look to be orphaned from a suit to me.
post #17 of 109
Plaid rulz, solid drulz. shog[1].gif
post #18 of 109
Yes, a risk. Pulled off properly, a triumph, otherwise, catastrophe. I think Spoo's posts demonstrate the polar opposites, the first being a GTH that you either get or don't (personally, I like it). The second, shoes aside (which completely suck, I think, with the pictured trousers), can work in most any setting, but we need more--jacket, shirt, tie, PS--to know whether it's thumbs up or down. Spoo, who knows way more than me or most others, surely knows this. He's teasing.
post #19 of 109
I love patterned pants. Here are a few of mine. I've got about 7 pants at the tailor right now and I think a few of them are patterned. Until those are back, here's a few of mine:

261

261

Phineas Cole by Paul Stuart

Valentini

and Polo Ralph Lauren by Corneliani


Here's another pic I found of one that's being tailored.

584
post #20 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

I love patterned pants. Here are a few of mine. I've got about 7 pants at the tailor right now and I think a few of them are patterned. Until those are back, here's a few of mine:

nice! fit pics please if you get the chance...or poast some in this thread next time you wear...
post #21 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

nice! fit pics please if you get the chance...or poast some in this thread next time you wear...

I wore the Phineas Cole pair last night having just bought them in New York and had it tailored. There was something about the shape of them that was a bit odd to me. The thighs were pretty tight while the lower leg wasn't. Does anyone else own a pair and can comment? They do have some awesome patterned pants, which I have trouble finding outside of Ralph Lauren.
post #22 of 109
Thread Starter 
post #23 of 109
e30a32dd.jpg
post #24 of 109
Quote:


Is this really enough of a pattern to be considered as such? I think I can make out a very faint blue windowpane? Not even sure I'm really seeing that or imagining it. I really like this look but wouldn't really include it as an example of working in patterned trousers.

 

DerekS' trousers are also fairly solid, though perhaps have a vibrant enough pattern to be more helpful as an example of how to incorporate them (not a fan of the tie or square though).

 

Here's a random thought: are patterned trousers best used when going tie-less (or even "tie+square-less")?

post #25 of 109
Sometimes patterned pants come in handy when trying to match the carpet in your office...

469
post #26 of 109
Thread Starter 
DerekS - I like that jacket in particular a lot

HF - I think the blue windowpane, faint though it may be, qualifies them as patterned. To me the windowpane does add to the outfit, as in I like it more than I would if the blue windowpane were not there, so in that sense it's an example of patterns being put to good use. The thread is not just about how to incorporate really loud patterned pants, but also about how patterned pants can be better or at least a pleasing diversion from solid pants. Don't just ask what you can do for patterned pants, also ask what patterned pants can do for you.

bb - well played. you have the perfect camouflage for ambushing unsuspecting coworkers.
post #27 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quite peacockish and I do not endorse the cut/fit of this jacket, but presented for contemplation:

428

source: http://www.esquire.com/style/fashion-story/big-black-book-preview-spring-2012#slide-2
post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

DerekS - I like that jacket in particular a lot

HF - I think the blue windowpane, faint though it may be, qualifies them as patterned. To me the windowpane does add to the outfit, as in I like it more than I would if the blue windowpane were not there, so in that sense it's an example of patterns being put to good use. The thread is not just about how to incorporate really loud patterned pants, but also about how patterned pants can be better or at least a pleasing diversion from solid pants. Don't just ask what you can do for patterned pants, also ask what patterned pants can do for you.

Yes the blue overcheck (more visible if you open the pic in a new tab for supersize image) really make that outfit. I thought the trousers were good till I noticed it - then I thought they were great. Also pulls off the patterned trouser & patterned shirt mix successfully - I usually cop out and stick to a plain shirt.
post #29 of 109
I have several pairs, but more often then not, I end up wearing them on casual Fridays or to play golf.
post #30 of 109
etgqwl.png
1zlriu1.png
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › In Praise (but also Suspicion) of Patterned Pants