or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Perspectives wanted: Am I a useless floater? Or is time on my side?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Perspectives wanted: Am I a useless floater? Or is time on my side? - Page 2

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I'm sympathetic to the "artist at heart" thing, but I can't muster what it would take to feel sorry for you.

However, one piece of advice I will give is to not take off time to create music. As someone who has, apparently, been given every advantage in life, any music you produce will almost certainly be utter shit.

Not true. Kid Rock, as an example, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
post #17 of 45
Hes not a douchebag. Some people act like those with money should not whine about anything. The truth is its all relative. If youre worried about money, then even if you had it the problems that would seem small to you would relatively appear bigger.

Anyway, life is tough to figure out. Time passes by, youre thrown into a path without really knowing how you got there, and before you know it youre old and it feels like you didnt really have a say.

Work and career and money are not the ends, theyre supposed to be the means to achieve happiness. And theyre often not. Go do whatever it is you think you want to do.
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Not true. Kid Rock, as an example, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

I sincerely hope you're kidding about Kid Rock's music not being shit. I will admit there was a time I loved Devil Without a Cause, but everything since has been largely terrible.

Either way, even Kid Rock saw his share of hard times. He spent a fair number of years dealing drugs and living out of his car, and he didn't seem to benefit much from his parents' success once he hit adulthood.
post #19 of 45
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Rich kid problems.
You are at a fork in your life. Is there anything wrong with an unmarried 28 year old taking a summer off? IMO, no, there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. But what's the total picture and where is this realistically leading? I've come to know many people that were rich kids. They seem to either eventually buckle down and define themselves and their careers or turn 50 and wonder why people say, "Nice guy but he's like a child."

He is married, and for that reason I think you somewhat owe it to your wife to be the person you claimed to be when you met her. This is a problem of marrying young that you don't know yet who you are. She probably though she was getting a lawyer but instead she got a hippie. Nothing wrong with that but don't freak out and then tell her, "you just don't undertand me!!!"
post #21 of 45
My heart bleeds. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting were all your age when they checked out. What is it with being 28?

You're floating, all right--like a jellyfish. Get a spine.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post

My heart bleeds. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting were all your age when they checked out. What is it with being 28?
You're floating, all right--like a jellyfish. Get a spine.

Uh. No. They were 27. There's even a name for it - "27 Club."
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I'm sympathetic to the "artist at heart" thing, but I can't muster what it would take to feel sorry for you.
However, one piece of advice I will give is to not take off time to create music. As someone who has, apparently, been given every advantage in life, any music you produce will almost certainly be utter shit.

Not a fan of The Stokes, are you?

Not only the silver spoon, Julian has Elite's supermodel book to pick and choose from too. That'll give ya the blues, eh?
post #24 of 45
Not sure the necessity for ridiculing people who grew up with a little money. That is way too popular here. He sounds like a douchebag because he hits every fucking note on the hipster hard on scale.
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post


He is married, and for that reason I think you somewhat owe it to your wife to be the person you claimed to be when you met her. This is a problem of marrying young that you don't know yet who you are. She probably though she was getting a lawyer but instead she got a hippie. Nothing wrong with that but don't freak out and then tell her, "you just don't undertand me!!!"

He is not married. "The girlfriend" and doesn't even say she's living with him.
post #26 of 45

it's not the money, but the attitude, and his talking about it

if you want to be an 'artist' do it, but don't seek approval from unknown entities on the internet

if one has doubts about ones actions, it's usually your conscience telling you something (if it's not good old religious guilt, lol, but I assume most here are beyond that)

 

he has all the advantages to have his cake and eat it too...work the good paying, flexible job that seems to demand nothing of him, suck up the 'rents $$$, and be a vagabond, beatnik, black keys hipster in his considerable spare time and just get on with it...no one resents him for that, just for griping about how conflicted he is, crying the blues from the backseat of a limo



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Not sure the necessity for ridiculing people who grew up with a little money. That is way too popular here. He sounds like a douchebag because he hits every fucking note on the hipster hard on scale.


 

post #27 of 45
I quoted Bill Murray from Rushmore in this thread. That deserves recognition.
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon View Post

Not a fan of The Stokes, are you?
Not only the silver spoon, Julian has Elite's supermodel book to pick and choose from too. That'll give ya the blues, eh?

Heh. I knew as soon as I made that post I'd have half of SF in here naming bands whose members came from money.

I'm not a fan of The Strokes, but note that I said "almost certainly." There are undoubtedly non-sucky bands with members who came from privileged backgrounds, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the best music in history almost always came from people of low-to-moderate means.
post #29 of 45
Thread Starter 
I appreciate all of your feedback, gentlemen. It is sometimes harsh - perhaps even uncalled for at moments - but I accept it. I asked for it.

I should state that I see a great deal of flaws that have developed in my nature owing to the privileges I've had. Backbone and work ethic are probably among those.

On the other hand, I don't think I harbor too many illusions about what I truly love and how much of a god-given right I have to explore that love. I simply haven't had sufficient space or time to do so...and yes, I harbor guilt and insecurity about it (both not doing it, and also leaving behind "real work" to do it).

I sense that some of you are hanging me by my wealth - for reasons I can't fully sympathize with. If I didn't have as many privileges as I've made known to you and was still where I am now - a lawyer, working full-time, but perhaps with some debt to pay and a smaller home to live in, but with doubts at any event about my life and its direction - would you still consider me an insufferable douchebag?? Am I only insufferable because I drive a nice automobile?

I've read and re-read many of your insights. And I'll surely do so again.

I am grateful for your feedback. If I don't engage you the way you might expect, it's because I'm actually reading and considering your views.
post #30 of 45
It's rich seeing a bunch of igents castigate what they themselves once were or sorely wished they were.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Perspectives wanted: Am I a useless floater? Or is time on my side?