or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tailor Said Suit Jacket Doesn't Need to be Taken in - Is he correct?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tailor Said Suit Jacket Doesn't Need to be Taken in - Is he correct? - Page 2

post #16 of 54
Perhaps change a tailor.foo.gif
post #17 of 54

What is the reasoning in buying 6 suits at once?

I think 2-3 are probably fine, even if you wear them everyday. Just get a 2nd pair of trousers with each suit and even 2 suits (navy + charcoal) should be sufficient I guess. I would be too afraid of making a too heavy investment into a fit / style I may not fancy later one to purchase soo many suits at once.

 

post #18 of 54
Thread Starter 

For some reason, I can't get my post with picture to appear until a moderator approves it.  In the meantime, could you please see the grey 42L that is in my profile.  Should I go with this instead? 

 

Yes, I'm planning on just going with 3 suits now as I've come to conclusion that I can't get a suit that fits right off the rack.

 

EDIT:  Please see post # 15 which has pictures of the grey 42L.


Edited by champ49er - 3/25/12 at 10:04am
post #19 of 54
^ Much better than the 44 but with your shoulders, you're either going to need to go MTM or find a very good alterations tailor who can add a pad to your right shoulder as Despos suggested.
post #20 of 54
The 42L looks much better. Looks like the chest is just starting to bow however, which would indicate you can't go smaller.

I sympathise and realize you've got the 6 CK suits that have been altered, but would urge you to 'buy less, buy better' in the future.
post #21 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldehyde View Post

The 42L looks much better. Looks like the chest is just starting to bow however, which would indicate you can't go smaller.
I sympathise and realize you've got the 6 CK suits that have been altered, but would urge you to 'buy less, buy better' in the future.



The goods news is that the tailor didn't start on the six 44L suits, so I was able to cancel the alterations in time.  I've definitely learned my lesson in this experience, but it's still not over.

 

How is the sleeve length on the grey 42L?  For some reason, all three of the 42L suits have uneven sleeve lengths, unless it's my arms that are uneven.

post #22 of 54
you should try a different cut.... you say nothing RTW fits you. Im curious as to how many different brands and fits you have actually tried.
post #23 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon View Post

you should try a different cut.... you say nothing RTW fits you. Im curious as to how many different brands and fits you have actually tried.


My budget is for Nordstrom Rack quality ($260-280), so the CK suits were the only ones I tried.  Plus, there were a lot more CK selections than any other brands.  I understand that I will have to do a better job of buying a suit next time, but that part that made this difficult for me is that I needed a new wardrobe within 2 weeks as I just accepted a new job.  I currently don't have enough money to buy a quality suit, but I just need something to get me by until I start collecting my paychecks.

post #24 of 54
if you had bought 3 suits instead of 6 you could drastically improve the quality of the suits your own.... just saying. Also if you need six suits it pains me to think what shoes you have.
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ49er View Post




The goods news is that the tailor didn't start on the six 44L suits, so I was able to cancel the alterations in time.  I've definitely learned my lesson in this experience, but it's still not over.

How is the sleeve length on the grey 42L?  For some reason, all three of the 42L suits have uneven sleeve lengths, unless it's my arms that are uneven.

Sleeve length is the easiest alteration you can make to a jacket. Don't worry about it. Focus instead on the length, the buttoning point (where the middle button on a 3-button/the top button on a 2-button falls), and the shoulders.
post #26 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon View Post

if you had bought 3 suits instead of 6 you could drastically improve the quality of the suits your own.... just saying. Also if you need six suits it pains me to think what shoes you have.


I totally agree with your statement and plan on learning from this experience.  I'm a total noob at style which I'm happy to admit, but I have to move on since I start in a week. 

post #27 of 54
agreed with the above statements. Better off with three Brooks Brothers 1818 suits or something similar and then some trousers and sport coats
post #28 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns23 View Post

agreed with the above statements. Better off with three Brooks Brothers 1818 suits or something similar and then some trousers and sport coats


Thank you for your comment and I'll make sure of that the next time I'm not in a time crunch, but for now, is the 42L a better fit and acceptable until I can get a better quality suit?

post #29 of 54
Thread Starter 

It looks like the moderators put up #15 from last night which has the pictures.  Is the grey 42L a better fit overall?

post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ49er View Post



Thank you for your comment and I'll make sure of that the next time I'm not in a time crunch, but for now, is the 42L a better fit and acceptable until I can get a better quality suit?



You don't need to have six suits to start. You could easily get buy with a couple and then in a month add another to the rotation. But, yes, the smaller size is better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tailor Said Suit Jacket Doesn't Need to be Taken in - Is he correct?