or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is there any place to purchase pure water for the purpose of hand-washing clothing? Otherwise, what are good filter options?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there any place to purchase pure water for the purpose of hand-washing clothing? Otherwise,...

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
Is there any place to purchase pure water for the purpose of hand-washing clothing?

By pure water, I mean water without any of the stuff that is usually found in water as a result of man putting it there, that will be harmful to clothing, like chlorine, fluoride, industrial pollution, remnants of flushed pills, etc.

I know that bottled water won't work, because that is equivalent to tap water.

Does any solution exist that will allow me to avoid using impure water? Moving to a country with natural deposits of pure water is not an option. Hence, I am requesting a solution that will allow me to purchase pure water in portable form, in small amounts (maybe 25 liters at a time), without me having to travel anywhere to get it.

If that is not possible, do good filter options exist that will remove all the chemicals from water that might be harmful to clothing? If so, what options are there? The problem with this option is that I do not own the property where I live, therefore I am not authorized to make permanent changes to how the pipes/faucets function. I would only be allowed to use a filter system that can be installed and removed without requiring any expense or difficulty.
post #2 of 47
- if you live in Toronto you can have pure (distilled?) water delivered to you in those standard 5-gallon water jugs
- you can easily buy an external osmosis filter for your faucet that doesn't require permanent installation
- neither of these things is the least bit necessary.....
post #3 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post

- if you live in Toronto you can have pure (distilled?) water delivered to you in those standard 5-gallon water jugs
- you can easily buy an external osmosis filter for your faucet that doesn't require permanent installation
- neither of these things is the least bit necessary.....


Thanks for the insights.

Do those things remove all chlorine, fluoride and every other chemical that has no business touching clothing?

I do not know much about this subject, hence I am not aware of if "distilled" water accomplishes that purpose, or if "external osmosis" accomplishes that purpose. If those processes do that, that's great. Do they?

For the refillable water bottles, where are the best places to get those filled up?
post #4 of 47
Where exactly do you live brah? Near the oil sands?
post #5 of 47
Ever heard of distilled water?
post #6 of 47
This is a whole new level of OCD.
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylemeup View Post

Thanks for the insights.
Do those things remove all chlorine, fluoride and every other chemical that has no business touching clothing?
I do not know much about this subject, hence I am not aware of if "distilled" water accomplishes that purpose, or if "external osmosis" accomplishes that purpose. If those processes do that, that's great. Do they?
For the refillable water bottles, where are the best places to get those filled up?

You know, water is a pretty aggressive solvent on pretty much any synthetic polymer. So if you have any clothing that isn't a natural fiber, the water, all by itself, can eventually have pretty detrimental effects. Also, will you use detergent? I would be far less worried about the stuff in normal water compared to the stuff in ALL soaps, regardless of natural level.
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post

This is a whole new level of OCD.
+1. facepalm.gif
post #9 of 47
I'm just curious if we have managed to style you up yet. Pics?
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post

This is a whole new level of OCD.

Not to mention all the laundry products are designed to work with tap water.

To the OP you go to the grocery store. They should have the 19litre carboys . If you're serious shog[1].gif buy a few. In the long run it'll be cheaper to just toss the clothes after each wear.
post #11 of 47
Please describe who makes your shirts.
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Please describe who makes your shirts.

A Tibetan monk using nothing but high Himalayan snow melt.
post #13 of 47
Based on what I read in another recent StyleForvm thread, it might be possible to sand your clothes without even using water.
post #14 of 47
Ah, some classic style me up action right here. It's been a while!
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Based on what I read in another recent StyleForvm thread, it might be possible to sand your clothes without even using water.

OP, this thread is unnecessary

Thanks to a great product I picked up at CVS, I don't have to wash my shirts anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is there any place to purchase pure water for the purpose of hand-washing clothing? Otherwise, what are good filter options?