or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 - Page 252

post #3766 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

This is fitting as if there's one thing I am known for is being foolish.

 

Anyone who has never been described as foolish at some point cannot be very interesting.

post #3767 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

Anyone who has never been described as foolish at some point cannot be very interesting.

I am very interesting then.
post #3768 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Apple's in trouble. Jelly Bean is sweet, very sweet. And Google Now is jaw droppingly cool and scary at the same time.


Jelly Bean is sweet. It's a fantastic mobile OS visually and in functionality. Too bad most consumers never get to use the real Jelly Bean experience and use handsets that force hacked up abominations of carrier/handset maker's skins upon them. Nothing would please me more then to see Google put an end to this happening or in the least force via licencing agreement that all Android handsets must also boot into a stock Android ROM. I won't hold my breath.

I know this has all been said before, but I am floored at how willing people are to accept this state of affairs. It has to be a result of poor product education to the average consumer because I don't understand how anyone can buy a non-Nexus Android handset knowing that a better all around experience and frequent software updates are just within reach.

I was a hair away from purchasing a Nexus 4, but held off. My plan to to wait around and see what the next Nexus devices are like and make a decision at that point. By then we should also have a better understanding of what iOS 7 will be like and will know if Apple has stepped up their game in terms of the core software experience.
post #3769 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Jelly Bean is sweet. It's a fantastic mobile OS visually and in functionality. Too bad most consumers never get to use the real Jelly Bean experience and use handsets that force hacked up abominations of carrier/handset maker's skins upon them. Nothing would please me more then to see Google put an end to this happening or in the least force via licencing agreement that all Android handsets must also boot into a stock Android ROM. I won't hold my breath.

I know this has all been said before, but I am floored at how willing people are to accept this state of affairs. It has to be a result of poor product education to the average consumer because I don't understand how anyone can buy a non-Nexus Android handset knowing that a better all around experience and frequent software updates are just within reach.

Apple has people conditioned to accept these things. teacha.gif
post #3770 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Apple has people conditioned to accept these things. teacha.gif

Perhaps, but to my point above are not Android owners being conditioned to accept those failings? Sales numbers seem to dictate this. Certainly the case with Samsung and cash they are spending on their marketing.

EDIT: Rereading your post, I realize you didn't comment on my edit. So what are "those things" Apple is conditioning people to accept in the text you actually did quote? wink.gif
post #3771 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Perhaps, but to my point above are not Android owners being conditioned to accept those failings? Sales numbers seem to dictate this. Certainly the case with Samsung and cash they are spending on their marketing.

Samsung has been pretty fast on it's product updates (per the article I just linked). Also, it's not hard to have your Android boot into any of dozens of custom ROMs. I do not think we can even talk about forced conformity and dictated front end use between Apple and Android as they are so far apart.
post #3772 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Samsung has been pretty fast on it's product updates (per the article I just linked). Also, it's not hard to have your Android boot into any of dozens of custom ROMs. I do not think we can even talk about forced conformity and dictated front end use between Apple and Android as they are so far apart.


This is a point I see brought up often on the internet, but it fails to grasp that most mobile handset users are not sophisticated enough to do this or even know it's possible.
post #3773 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

This is a point I see brought up often on the internet, but it fails to grasp that most mobile handset users are not sophisticated enough to do this or even know it's possible.

So then probably your suggestion of mandating a stock Android ROM is moot? Basically, if those people you speak of are that unsophisticated in this area, they are probably being better served with a spoon fed factory interface.
post #3774 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So then probably your suggestion of mandating a stock Android ROM is moot? Basically, if those people you speak of are that unsophisticated in this area, they are probably being better served with a spoon fed factory interface.

The idea would center around a graphical menu option at the start of the phone's initial boot up allowing for the user to pick the default from that point forward. teacha.gif
post #3775 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

The idea would center around a graphical menu option at the start of the phone's initial boot up allowing for the user to pick the default from that point forward. teacha.gif

How would the average retard consumer even begin to choose which ROM to use? The fact of the matter is that people like you who want that customizability and all the nifty features of android without bullshit skins are such a small minority, that what you wish for will never come to fruition (sorry to sound so hostile).
post #3776 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

How would the average retard consumer even begin to choose which ROM to use? The fact of the matter is that people like you who want that customizability and all the nifty features of android without bullshit skins are such a small minority, that what you wish for will never come to fruition (sorry to sound so hostile).

I don't think the average Daily Mail reading Joe Public retard consumer would even know what a "ROM" is. They probably think that's how it comes, like they accept their PCs full of bloat and crap.
post #3777 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

How would the average retard consumer even begin to choose which ROM to use? The fact of the matter is that people like you who want that customizability and all the nifty features of android without bullshit skins are such a small minority, that what you wish for will never come to fruition (sorry to sound so hostile).


Ideal would be having all Android handsets run stock. I see no signs of this happening anytime soon. The idea I present here is supposed to be a compromise. I agree that a lot of consumers would be confused on which ROM to choose, but you have to consider the fact that this would raise awareness among the public greatly as they would then seek the answers out. I won't argue that this wouldn't be a painful process, but it's better then letting Android continue to be as bastardized as it is now.
post #3778 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

I don't think the average Daily Mail reading Joe Public retard consumer would even know what a "ROM" is. They probably think that's how it comes, like they accept their PCs full of bloat and crap.


This is true, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't desire to see the industry elevated to a higher standard. It's really no different then wanting to see good thoughtful design put into clothes, furniture or even the preparation of food. wink.gif
post #3779 of 4017
I agree 100% JrMouse. This is why I am very hesitant on getting a Samsung, I don't want to have to dick around to remove skins/apps/settings and possibly have to root it just to get stock Android running on it.

Fragmentation and goofy skins have always been a problem with Android, and I see the Nexus line as Google's attempts to set a real standard and perhaps encourage manufacturers to cut that shit out and just load stock.

I love Android, but wouldn't touch anything that wasn't in the Nexus line right now I'm thinking.

BTW, Nexus 7....wow....I'm loving this device. I hope it destroys the Kindle Fire (fat chance) and BN color Nook line (looks like it already has on this one LOL, Nook is in serious trouble right now).
post #3780 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

The idea would center around a graphical menu option at the start of the phone's initial boot up allowing for the user to pick the default from that point forward. teacha.gif

Because, you know, those skins lack graphical menu options.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home