or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 - Page 205

post #3061 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Hey, I'm not excusing it - I'd never buy that phone.

What I disagree with is your "whole different animal" point. As a consumer, if there's a feature I want, I don't really give a shit about the REASON it's not offered. I only care that it's not there. So for me, people bending over backward to excuse Google for not making proper carrier deals is no different than people bending over backward to excuse Apple for being unable to fit the tech within their goals.


It is different because it's telling of the company and platform. As I said before, it's symbolic of the continuing problems related to the Android platform and Google's inability to take charge and fix them. I'm tired of making excuses for them.

Also, LTE was not nearly as rolled out or mature a technology when the iPhone 4S came out as it is now.


EDIT: I would still like someone to answer this question I presented to Rambo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Why is it Apple has been able to make deals with carriers to release network compatible products as they wish, without having to (with few exceptions) compromise on software stacks? How come Google keeps failing to do the same?

Edited by Jr Mouse - 10/31/12 at 8:39am
post #3062 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Hey, I'm not excusing it - I'd never buy that phone.

What I disagree with is your "whole different animal" point. As a consumer, if there's a feature I want, I don't really give a shit about the REASON it's not offered. I only care that it's not there. So for me, people bending over backward to excuse Google for not making proper carrier deals is no different than people bending over backward to excuse Apple for being unable to fit the tech within their goals.


It is different because it's telling of the company and platform. As I said before, it's symbolic of the continuing problems related to the Android platform and Google's inability to take charge and fix them. I'm tired of making excuses for them.

Also, LTE was not nearly as rolled out or mature a technology when the iPhone 4S came out as it is now.

Mouse, nothing you are saying makes sense. Google is committed to building an open platform which doesn't include the incorporation of technologies that are carrier-specific as LTE currently is. They regretted doing it with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and chose not to make the same mistake with the Nexus 4. Apple is the complete opposite with a rigidly controlled platform. Obviously they have more sway with the carriers since their handsets sell more units than any single Android handset, but on the choice of platform, it's different strokes for different folks. You, on the other hand, really need to quit protesting that you're not a dyed-in-the-wool Apple fanboi because your posts consist of little more than "Apple can do wrong." Read what you wrote about the iPad Mini for a great example of that.
post #3063 of 4017
I don't know why you guys don't like the Nexus 4. I kind of dig that back plate. Still, the screen IS too big. I don't know why they keep making these 4.7" phones.
post #3064 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

Mouse, nothing you are saying makes sense. Google is committed to building an open platform which doesn't include the incorporation of technologies that are carrier-specific as LTE currently is. They regretted doing it with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and chose not to make the same mistake with the Nexus 4.

So you are saying that Google's going to be shut out of LTE moving forward? We will never get an LTE Nexus device? Because either they manage to make deals with the carriers to get it done, or that's the future the platform will take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

Apple is the complete opposite with a rigidly controlled platform. Obviously they have more sway with the carriers since their handsets sell more units than any single Android handset, but on the choice of platform, it's different strokes for different folks.

Fact is Apple made the deals needed. Even MS is managing to make the kind of deals to allow them to have control over the destiny of Windows Phone 7 & 8 and so far that platform has sold miserably.

Again, why can't Google? It's a failure on the company's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

You, on the other hand, really need to quit protesting that you're not a dyed-in-the-wool Apple fanboi because your posts consist of little more than "Apple can do wrong." Read what you wrote about the iPad Mini for a great example of that.


You mean were I said I wouldn't buy an iPad Mini because of it's low resolution screen? Or the fact that I said I'm not happy with the price point they decided to launch at and that the Apple blew an opportunity to kill off the low end tablet competition before it had a chance to gain a foothold in the market? Gotcha.

You see what you want to see.
post #3065 of 4017
Mouse - Here's your answer - Google ceded authority of the phones to win the numbers game vs. Apple. Remember that the Galaxy S3 has been the best selling phone so far. Not the iP5. In the case of the Nexus, its a drop in the bucket, as we've already established. But its THEIR way of fighting back against what they've already given up and trying to maintain at least a bit of control over what they want to do. Or, at least that's the way it seems to me.

Also, the industrial design of the phone has LG written ALL over it. Their phones always look like shit.
post #3066 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Mouse - Here's your answer - Google ceded authority of the phones to win the numbers game vs. Apple. Remember that the Galaxy S3 has been the best selling phone so far. Not the iP5. In the case of the Nexus, its a drop in the bucket, as we've already established. But its THEIR way of fighting back against what they've already given up and trying to maintain at least a bit of control over what they want to do. Or, at least that's the way it seems to me.

Also, the industrial design of the phone has LG written ALL over it. Their phones always look like shit.


Look, I wanted to love this Nexus. I want nothing more then Google's flagship handset to be awesome. It disappoints me greatly that Google was unable to make the types of deals needed to put LTE in the device and still maintain the control they desired.

Truth to be told the main reason I don't own an iPhone 5 yet? I was holding off to see what Google showed with the Nexus 4. Android's finally matured enough that I would switch to it. I'm upset here because I am disappointed in what the Nexus could have been.
post #3067 of 4017

APPLE SUX BALLS

ANDROID IS CRAP

 

THERE IS ONLY

ONE TRUE

OPEN PLATFORM

 

 

 

1000

 

SUCK MY PALM!

post #3068 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Look, I wanted to love this Nexus. I want nothing more then Google's flagship handset to be awesome. It disappoints me greatly that Google was unable to make the types of deals needed to put LTE in the device and still maintain the control they desired.
Truth to be told the main reason I don't own an iPhone 5 yet? I was holding off to see what Google showed with the Nexus 4. Android's finally matured enough that I would switch to it. I'm upset here because I am disappointed in what the Nexus could have been.

Would you consider WP? The reviews of the new crop of phones has been pretty positive so far. And, I still don't think that the lack of LTE is that big of a deal. So it goes a bit faster. Big deal. You're just going to chew through your data cap that much faster.
post #3069 of 4017
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether reasons behind missing features matter or not. Just seems that whenever an Apple device is missing something, Apple fans excuse it because it's somehow part of Apple's master plan, whereas whenever Android is missing something, it's because Google is incompetent. Both platforms have their pluses and minuses.

Also, I'm not sure why, when Apple releases an anodized aluminum phone, we're supposed to wait and see if scratches are a real problem, but when Google release a phone with a glass back, we immediately declare that a bad decision without affording them the same "wait and see" approach.
post #3070 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Would you consider WP? The reviews of the new crop of phones has been pretty positive so far. And, I still don't think that the lack of LTE is that big of a deal. So it goes a bit faster. Big deal. You're just going to chew through your data cap that much faster.


I really like what WP is doing with the UI and some of the hardware is looking fantastic, but the app ecosystem is just not there. No, I'll stick with Apple for now and get an iPhone 5. I'm actually more confident in the platform seeing some much needed UI improvements with the recent news of the VP shake up. Jonathan Ive taking over the software design of iOS has potential to be amazing. happy.gif
post #3071 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether reasons behind missing features matter or not. Just seems that whenever an Apple device is missing something, Apple fans excuse it because it's somehow part of Apple's master plan, whereas whenever Android is missing something, it's because Google is incompetent. Both platforms have their pluses and minuses.

I repeated this in this thread till I was blue in the face and got called an apologist. That's part of the overall point I was trying to make here. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Also, I'm not sure why, when Apple releases an anodized aluminum phone, we're supposed to wait and see if scratches are a real problem, but when Google release a phone with a glass back, we immediately declare that a bad decision without affording them the same "wait and see" approach.


Who said it's a bad decision? I like the glass back on my iPhone 4 and have no issue with the Nexus 4 having it other then the pattern on it is tacky. I just find it funny that after so much heat Apple got for it (it's apparently too fragile a material for phones and all) that Google followed in their footsteps.
post #3072 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Who said it's a bad decision? I like the glass back on my iPhone 4 and have no issue with the Nexus 4 having it other then the pattern on it is tacky. I just find it funny that after so much heat Apple got for it (it's apparently too fragile a material for phones and all) that Google followed in their footsteps.

A bunch of the comments in your linked article are discussing it. I personally don't mind the look, although I don't see the benefit to using glass on the back of a phone. That said, if it's gorilla glass 2, and given that it doesn't extend to the edges, it's possible that it won't be a problem.

I kinda like the kevlar on the back of my Razr Maxx. No idea if it's actual kevlar or not. Has a nice feel, though.
post #3073 of 4017
My freaking screen is buggy, I've had a vertical line show up randomly a couple times now.

Freak you apple I'm buying a nexus.
post #3074 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

My freaking screen is buggy, I've had a vertical line show up randomly a couple times now.

Freak you apple I'm buying a nexus.


Stop fucking up your new phone and replay to my PM. plain.gif
post #3075 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

My freaking screen is buggy, I've had a vertical line show up randomly a couple times now.

Freak you apple I'm buying a nexus.


Stop fucking up your new phone and replay to my PM. plain.gif

You've been a little passive aggressive in your posts lately mouse, maybe we should take some time apart.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home