or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 - Page 204

post #3046 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Quote:
Direct control over over the software released on hardware without carrier intervention? Hmmmmm... I wonder who has that? Oh yeah, Apple!
Whole thing's an excuse because they didn't make the same sort of deals Apple did with the carriers. Now it's fucking them over. Some great "open" handset ecosystem they got going there. The Nexus is the only true Android phone being sold in the USA and now it's also being crippled due to wireless carrier control. Keep enjoying your garbage skins and preloaded carrier bloat-ware apps that you have to hack off your phones guys.
People often fail to see the simple ways in which Apple's products have a level of freedom from the carriers no other handsets can match.

Come on Mouse. Not only does Google not have to bend over to the carrier's bullshit but they don't have to build extra models with differing antennas in them. And there are no skins on the Nexus phones which sort of goes against your argument. The article clearly shows how Verizon fucked Google last year with the Nexus 3. No to mention that there are more Android phones sold than Apple phones. The Nexus models are a small drop in the bucket in comparison.
post #3047 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Come on Mouse. Not only does Google not have to bend over to the carrier's bullshit but they don't have to build extra models with differing antennas in them.

Yeah, except now they are releasing phones at the end of 2012 without LTE. Why? Carrier bullshit that they seemed to be unable to stand up against. If that's not bending over, I don't know what is.

Sure, Apple was late to the game with 3G but that was the company's own decision based on what they felt best fit the needs of the hardware they could provide at the time. It had nothing to do with carrier politics like this bullshit move with the Nexus does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

And there are no skins on the Nexus phones which sort of goes against your argument.

Have you actually read any of my posts about the Android platform since well... forever? Yes the Nexus is skin free. You get it fresh out of the box with stock Android. No hacking or rooting required. That's why I have been recommending people (including Pio) wait for this announcement. Too bad the hardware's being gimped. You can't win here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

The article clearly shows how Verizon fucked Google last year with the Nexus 3.

Ya, that's my point. Verizon fucked them over. The carriers keep fucking over Google and the Android platform.

You know who's not getting fucked over? Who is somehow able to deliver products that are 95% their vision (with a few exceptions) without the carriers controlling their product's destiny? Apple.

Google's loss here is epidemic of their continuing failure to stand up to the carriers. It's a major loss for consumers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

No to mention that there are more Android phones sold than Apple phones. The Nexus models are a small drop in the bucket in comparison.

Nexus is important. It's the flagship device for the platform. It was meant to be Google's halo device. Yet here we are again, seeing it compromised. You can call it a small drop in the bucket, I call it a symbol of the sickness eating away at what Android could be and the complete mess that is the US wireless industry.
Edited by Jr Mouse - 10/31/12 at 5:32am
post #3048 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Yeah, except now they are releasing phones at the end of 2012 with LTE. Why? Carrier bullshit they seemed to be unable to stand up against. If that's not bending over, I don't know what is.
Sure, Apple was late to the game with 3G but that was the company's own decision based on what they felt best fit the needs of the hardware they could provide at the time. It had nothing to do with carrier politics like this bullshit move with the Nexus does.

Have you actually read any of my posts about the Android platform since well... forever? Yes the Nexus is skin free. You get it fresh out of the box with stock Android. No hacking or rooting required. That's why I have been recommending people (including Pio) wait for this announcement. Too bad the hardware's being gimped. You can't win here.
Ya, that's my point. Verizon fucked them over. The carriers keep fucking over Google and the Android platform.
You know who's not getting fucked over? Who is somehow able to deliver products that are 95% their vision (with a few exceptions) without the carriers controlling their product's destiny? Apple.
Google's loss here is epidemic of their continuing failure to stand up to the carriers. It's a major loss for consumers.
Nexus is important. It's the flagship device for the platform. It was meant to be Google's halo device. Yet here we are again, seeing it compromised. You can call it a small drop in the bucket, I call it a symbol of the sickness eating away at what Android could be and the complete mess that is the US wireless industry.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree because I see this as a big win for Google. LTE still isn't developed out yet, so instead of compromising, they went ahead and released a phone that's on par with the iP5. Of course, only time will tell if its as good to use as it looks like it will be. I think their willingness to bend over to the carriers on the standard phones but not on the direct from Google ones speaks to their willingness to stand up for what they believe in. You'll notice that the Nexus 10 is only wifi. And this is why.

And you're preaching to the choir about the wireless industry. Of course, you already knew that.
post #3049 of 4017
Rambo, ask yourself this. Why is it Apple has been able to make deals with carriers to release network compatible products as they wish, without having to (with few exceptions) compromise on software stacks? How come Google keeps failing to do the same?

Hell, even Microsoft is doing a worlds better job at making deals with carriers with few compromises then Google is.


EDIT: I'm sorry, but framing this as a "big win" for Google is absurd. It's a disaster that a consumer in fall 2012 cannot walk into a store, or order online, a LTE handset that runs stock Android.
post #3050 of 4017

I think we can all agree that the back of that phone is a total fail. Looks like a Windows 98 screensaver.

post #3051 of 4017
My phone has been acting wonky lately. Either unresponsive to touch, or a long delay. Not sure what the issue is.
post #3052 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

My phone has been acting wonky lately. Either unresponsive to touch, or a long delay. Not sure what the issue is.

It's that time of month
post #3053 of 4017
Ha!
post #3054 of 4017
I forgot the p/w to my sbux app and can't reload off my CC. frown.gif
post #3055 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I think we can all agree that the back of that phone is a total fail. Looks like a Windows 98 screensaver.


Yes, the industrial design is NOT good. Why is it that it seems only Apple and Nokia can get this part right?

Plus, the handset back is glass. I wonder how many Android fanboys heads exploded when they heard that news. laugh.gif
post #3056 of 4017
What exactly was the date when it became no longer acceptable for any device to be released without LTE? Was is 9/21/2012? nest.gif
post #3057 of 4017

I wasn't knocking it for not having LTE I was just pointing out the hypocrisy.

post #3058 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

My phone has been acting wonky lately. Either unresponsive to touch, or a long delay. Not sure what the issue is.

My 4S has been like this since I've installed iOS 6 onto it. I'm really not sure why, but I hope my 5 (which comes tomorrow) won't have the same issue.
post #3059 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

What exactly was the date when it became no longer acceptable for any device to be released without LTE? Was is 9/21/2012? nest.gif


People were knocking the iPhone 4S for not having it last year. You are welcome to choose who you label the hypocrite.

I just find it telling that people are bending over in contortions to excuse the fact that Google couldn't simply make the proper deals needed with the carriers to release their flagship device with LTE. If you ask me, that's a whole different animal then Apple deciding to withhold the technology from the 4S because they didn't believe it could fit within their battery life and physical size goals for the handset at the time. YMMV
post #3060 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

People were knocking the iPhone 4S for not having it last year. You are welcome to choose who you label the hypocrite.
I just find it telling that people are bending over in contortions to excuse the fact that Google couldn't simply make the proper deals needed with the carriers to release their flagship device with LTE. If you ask me, that's a whole different animal then Apple deciding to withhold the technology from the 4S because they didn't believe it could fit within their battery life and physical size goals for the handset at the time. YMMV

Hey, I'm not excusing it - I'd never buy that phone.

What I disagree with is your "whole different animal" point. As a consumer, if there's a feature I want, I don't really give a shit about the REASON it's not offered. I only care that it's not there. So for me, people bending over backward to excuse Google for not making proper carrier deals is no different than people bending over backward to excuse Apple for being unable to fit the tech within their goals.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home