Updates on all my various issues:
I went to the Apple Store to resolve a series of issues. Made a Genius Bar appointment, it was fantastic. Lol.
- Calendars were acting very wonky. Part of it was user error, for some reason I had too many calendars set up. I'm not sure where some of them came from, but it was annoying the hell out of me. And when I tried to change the color of the calendar in my settings, the iPhone would force change it back. Anyways, I got the most lol-worthy answer from my Genius, who tried to blame the color change on the iPhone on Yahoo. He said Yahoo might not support the color I'd chosen, which is classic "it's not our problem" bullshit I'm used to with these guys. Anyways, once we killed the extraneous calendar though, the colors did just fine... with that same Yahoo calendar. Anyways, bottom line, problem solved.
- Wifi was not working at home. Guy in-store was unable to help me out. Told me to try re-setting the home network, which I had already tried. I got home and tried again, to no avail. However, there is a happy ending to this one; see below.
- iCloud backup was not working, at least partically because I couldn't get on Wifi at home, but also because I was getting a capacity error, which I could not figure out. Dude helped me re-set settings to disable photo backup, which was blowing me over, and helped me understand iCloud a little bit better. Now I have iCloud backups.
- I wanted some clarification on sync between iPhone 4 and 5. (I'm keeping my 4 as an in-home media device and iPod, my wife may have it turned on also and use it as a phone.) My iMac seems to think they're the same device. He gave me some kind of an explanation; I'm not sure I understood it. I haven't tried syncing the phones since, so we'll see.
- 4 app updates on my phone were not recognizing my password and I was unable to reset it to get the apps to update. No matter what settings I had in my phone for the app store, it kept trying to make me download these app updates under a different Apple ID. It's an Apple ID that must be mine because it's so unique, but no password I could have used would be accepted, and when I tried to reset it using e-mail, I didn't get the e-mail, and when I tried to reset it using personal info, it wouldn't accept my birthday. I'm told I must have downloaded those apps under that Apple ID, hence the forced use of it, but why it wouldn't let me reset it was a mystery. So the Genius put me on the phone with someone in Apple ID customer care... and he stated that not only did that Apple ID not show up under my name (they had 2 or 3 under my name, not sure how), it didn't belong to anyone. That ID does not exist at all. So anyways, it was a puzzler to everyone, and they basically said there was no solution. I have to re-download those apps from new under a recognized Apple ID. Fortunately, most of them were free. It may cost me $2-3 to re-buy one or two of them. Really weird.
- I got home and tried re-setting the network, still the iPhone 5 could not get in. It just told me "Unable to connect to network XYZ," not letting me enter a password or take any further action. All other devices in the home (iPhone 4, iPad, 2 laptops, iMac) were all on the network just fine. So anyways, I tried going to a site that they'd shown me at the store (expresslane.apple.com) and asked for a call. What a great service. Just enter your phone # and your problem and request a phone call and within seconds, they call you back. And since it's a new phone, apparently I get 90 days of free support. I got right through to someone very helpful. First he had me run through one thing that did not work (Settings > Wifi > Off and then Settings > Airplane Mode > On, then turn phone off and on again, then Settings > Airplane Mode > Off and then Settings > Wifi > On; he said sometimes that helped things to reset themselves) but then he had me do Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. That did the trick, and I was on fine.
So anyways, most issues now resolved. Big takeaway is that expresslane is awesome and anyone who is having problems should try that before heading to the iStore.